The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if the info is posted. I searched extensively here and the web in general.

2001 T&C Limited with Infinity sound + 4-disc changer. I think this means 8 speakers: 2 in each of the four corners. Correct?

Previous owner had an aftermarket head-unit installed. I hate this unit and it doesn't control the disc changer.

So, I found a new factory radio for $40 and bought it. I'm trying to install it and return the van to factory conditions ... and have questions.

1) All of the harnesses behind the dash are intact, which is good. With one possible exception. There is a thin white connector that contains one wire: white with purple stripe. The thin white connector has a spot for another wire, but it's empty. There is another wire that looks like it should go into the thin white connector and it's grey with green stripe. This wire is otherwise unconnected to the radio. Should it go back into the thin white connector?

I can connect the new factory head unit and it "works." Locks onto stations, illuminates, etc. This is without the grey/green stripe wire connected to anything. Does this make sense?

However, no sound anywhere. I assumed that this was because the speakers were spliced to work with the aftermarket head unit and the factory harnesses no longer make a connection to the speakers. Correct?

2) The factory 4-disc changer had nothing connected to it. It was sitting there as a space holder. No cable. What cable do I need to connect it to my factory head unit?

3) Pulled off the panel to one of the rear speakers and found some sort of harness that's not connected to anything. Two wires had been cut and spliced to normal speaker wire and run up to the aftermarket head-unit. This is the big one. What is supposed to connect to this harness? How do I reconnect the speakers into the factory head unit? Will I find the same thing when I remove the door panels and look at the front speakers?

4) the speaker itself was just a lone speaker. Two "spades" that allowed pos/neg wires to slide on. On the opposite side was what looked like a mounting plate, with two screw holes, but nothing actually mounted there. Should something go there? Is my speaker(s) missing something?

Thanks for your help.

·
fix it if you can
5,686 Posts
Without going into details:
1st:
Locate a wiring schematic for the van & check all the wires (at least by color and location) both harness and speakers - if you suspect they've been modified in any way.. (unless you know who & how did the aftermarket install)
2nd:
For the radio to produce sound, the Infinity relay must be activated (in stock system). This is done (from radio) via PCI bus by FCM and relay is located in IPM "name brand speaker" relay.. (check if it's still there and works)

as for the changer wire - I'd check to see if it's still back there somewhere (maybe fell behind the dash/console..) I'm not sure that it's available as a stand alone wire (usually is part of the changer kit) That said, you could try a bone yard..

·
fix it if you can
5,686 Posts
There is a thin white connector that contains one wire: white with purple stripe. The thin white connector has a spot for another wire, but it's empty. There is another wire that looks like it should go into the thin white connector and it's grey with green stripe. This wire is otherwise unconnected to the radio. Should it go back into the thin white connector?
WT/VT is PCI Bus
GY/DG is "amplified speaker ground" the diagram shows this wire connected to ground (not any connector...)
hope this helps

·
Registered
25 Posts
I apologize if the info is posted. I searched extensively here and the web in general.

2001 T&C Limited with Infinity sound + 4-disc changer. I think this means 8 speakers: 2 in each of the four corners. Correct?

Previous owner had an aftermarket head-unit installed. I hate this unit and it doesn't control the disc changer.

So, I found a new factory radio for $40 and bought it. I'm trying to install it and return the van to factory conditions ... and have questions.

1) All of the harnesses behind the dash are intact, which is good. With one possible exception. There is a thin white connector that contains one wire: white with purple stripe. The thin white connector has a spot for another wire, but it's empty. There is another wire that looks like it should go into the thin white connector and it's grey with green stripe. This wire is otherwise unconnected to the radio. Should it go back into the thin white connector?

I can connect the new factory head unit and it "works." Locks onto stations, illuminates, etc. This is without the grey/green stripe wire connected to anything. Does this make sense?

However, no sound anywhere. I assumed that this was because the speakers were spliced to work with the aftermarket head unit and the factory harnesses no longer make a connection to the speakers. Correct?

2) The factory 4-disc changer had nothing connected to it. It was sitting there as a space holder. No cable. What cable do I need to connect it to my factory head unit?

3) Pulled off the panel to one of the rear speakers and found some sort of harness that's not connected to anything. Two wires had been cut and spliced to normal speaker wire and run up to the aftermarket head-unit. This is the big one. What is supposed to connect to this harness? How do I reconnect the speakers into the factory head unit? Will I find the same thing when I remove the door panels and look at the front speakers?

4) the speaker itself was just a lone speaker. Two "spades" that allowed pos/neg wires to slide on. On the opposite side was what looked like a mounting plate, with two screw holes, but nothing actually mounted there. Should something go there? Is my speaker(s) missing something?

Thanks for your help.
Wow, hopefully they just tapped into the wires and didn't cut the factory MULTI-PIN connectors off entirely. Assuming your 01 is the same the same as my 02, you should have 10 speakers in 8 locations. Only the four 6x9's have power amps built-in on the speaker basket. The dash speakers and the rear tweeters are not amplified like the 6x9's. The dash speakers should be 5-1/4" mid-range with tweeters. Assuming the front door 6x9's are the same wiring setup as the rear, you should find a 6-pin connector, two are + and - for the speaker from the head unit, two more are the + and - power to run the amp, and the last two should feed the tweeters. That's how it is on the rear speakers of my 02. The door speakers may only have 4-pin connectors, with the tweeters in the dash being fed directly from the HU. I can't confirm this though, I have not removed my door panels to check. The CDC cable connects the changer to the head unit, on the 01, it should be a 10-pin square connector on the changer and a 8-pin DIN round connector on the HU. The head unit has enough power to run the aftermarket speakers, why yours don't work is a mystery, assuming you left the aftermarket speakers in place. Do you have a set of factory infinity to replace the aftermarket ones?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses so far. They've been helpful.

Let me clarify a couple of points:

1) Only the head unit was aftermarket. All speakers are original factory. I'm trying to put a new factory head unit in and restore the van to factory specs.

2) I have not looked at the front speakers. I have looked at one of the rear 6x9 speakers. It's just a speaker -- Chrysler/Infinity. As I mentioned, there is a flat mounting plate on the speaker frame/basket with two screw holes, opposite the pos/neg terminals. However, nothing is actually mounted to the speaker. Am I missing something? I've googled, but cannot find a picture of a stock, unmolested speaker with which to compare to my own.

3) The factory speaker wire harness has been cut -- two grey wires (pos/neg for the 6x9). These wires are spliced into regular speaker wire that is run up under the dash for the aftermarket radio. The harness is otherwise intact. However, I can find nothing to plug the harness into. Whatever this speaker wire harness used to plug into is gone.

4) I dug around in the dash and there was no CD changer cable to be found. Was hoping that this was a part I could order. Crap.

5) Not sure I understand atoman's instructions on flashing the factory head unit, but will do some searching to see if I can figure it out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Maybe answered one of my own questions. Found this image of a 1998 T&C infinity speaker:

I'm guessing that the black plastic thing that has the harness/wires attached to it is the amplifier. My rear speaker does NOT have either the black plastic thing or the wire harness here (I only see the other end of the harness that comes from the head unit). Looks like I'm screwed. Any way to find/order the factory speaker amplifiers?

I found a good wire schematic at Crutchfield:
Wire Diagram

·
Registered
497 Posts
For the Infinity systems, the front door speakers, and those rear panel speakers, have those black plastic amps integrated right onto them. The front dash speakers and the rear D-pillar tweeters do not have integrated amps, but they receive their altered signal from the nearby amps. So, the door amps control the door and dash speakers. The rear amps on the 6x9's control the rea 6x9 and tweeters. The original harnesses (to the door and rear amplified speakers) have 4 wires for power and signal. If you have the base system, you use the same harnesses, but they are non-amplified (head unit amp only).

Without these integrated-amp speakers, you will not have a stock Infinity system. It sounds like the original owner blew his original speakers (or just didn't like the system), and put in aftermarket head unit and speakers. Perhaps you have actual Chrysler minivan speakers, but they may simply be the base units (non-Infinity).

I have a thread on my upgrade from base system to Infinity system on my 3rd gen 2000 GV. Do a search in the Audio section. Speakers part number changed from 3rd gen to 4th gen, but everything functioned the same. The Infinity system requires a relay to send power to those amps, and also a speaker "choke". Without both, power is not transmitted to the amps. This is likely why the installer bypassed the original harnesses.

·
Banned
547 Posts
I have a 2001 Chrysler T&C with the changer removed.

I have the 4 cd changer and cable sitting on my table here.

The cable is 20" long and has a DIN connector on one end and a roughly square connector on the otherthat plugs into the changer. I see no part number on the cable.

The model number of my changer is P56038531AD.

I bought an installation harness for the aftermarket radio that came with a wiring diagram, but you can look here:

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf

The amp is turned on by the PCI bus and the wire in the harness is not applicable to the 2001 T&C.
I had to run a wire to the relay under the hood.
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf

·
fix it if you can
5,686 Posts
5) Not sure I understand atoman's instructions on flashing the factory head unit, but will do some searching to see if I can figure it out.
You don't need to update your unit to get the sound working! (hens no flashing advice was given here), (you're probably looking at the thread where the radio was rebooting and not staying on)
If you feel the need to update your radio to newer software, I would strongly recommend to get it 100% working first (due to fact - if your power fails during the flash process, your radio will likely become a useless brick)

BTW, by wiring diagram I meant factory wiring diagram. You can take a look at the link below, yours should be almost identical to that of 2004:
http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2004/docs/wd/rswd/8W-47/8W-47-1.pdf

Also, if you find out that you need the amps - check with a local wrecker if they have a van with infinity is the yard.. you would be able to get all the stuff you need (probably) on the cheap.

RE: cable - you can try (fle)ebay, but there's no guarantee you'll get the right part. The layout is in the wiring diagram.. (if I (absolutely) could not find one, I'd make one)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone for the help. I think I'm just going to scrap my plans of restoring the Infinity system -- too many missing parts. I'll just put the factory head unit back in and treat it like a "factory HU + aftermarket speakers" system. Will need to buy a harness to avoid cutting wires, but should work out OK. Maybe go with a PAC AOEM-CHR + a dinky 4-ch amp if I feel real daring. Will see.

Really appreciate people's input here. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.