The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First it's a 03 with 120k miles 3.3 non flex fuel. When I start it it fires right up and will idle but it's running rough. It has a bad miss. I replaced plugs with champion double platinums and new plug wires. A few months ago it breakdown from the dreaded melted wire harness. I fixed all that and has been running great until the other day my wife was on her way home and she said it felt like she was running out of gas. Im trying to make sure the problem before I keep buying parts. I was thinking it is the ignition coil but I am trying to be sure before I spend more money this time of year. Is there a way to test the coil still on the can? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tested coil and primary resistance is reading 2.2 , 1.4, and 2.1 are those readings too high? It says it should be between 0.7 and 1.5

·
Super Moderator
22,235 Posts
Just at idle or when on the road?

Bad gas?

Did you test the wire connections for tightness?

EGR valve acting up? PCV valve acting up?

Any check engine light? If so, what's the code?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No codes, our can does not have an egr valve. Tested all the wiring around the fuel injection, coil, sensors near the back of the motor. It is missing/ running rough at all times. Has fresh gas also put done fuel system cleaner in the tank. And I cleaned the pcv valve . It looked to be original pcv so i am going to pick one up next time i am at the auto parts store. But it seemed to be working as it should.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also has a rich smell to it when is running and plug 2 was pretty wet when I changed them

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
injector harness again maybe? did you replace it with a genuine mopar part?
I did not get a new harness. I fixed the original one. And when I was finished fixing it I put great shrink then taped it and put a heat sheild on it and moved it away from the exhaust

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,739 Posts
also put done fuel system cleaner in the tank.
If you 'over-dosed' the fuel system cleaner (thinking more was better) you need to fill the tank with fresh fuel. Too much of a good thing causes poor running.

Both Techron and BG44 instructions say to pour into a nearly empty tank, but then run it to a gas station and fill up. The short-term extra cleansers do a good job of cleaning the fuel system, but they don't burn well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you 'over-dosed' the fuel system cleaner (thinking more was better) you need to fill the tank with fresh fuel. Too much of a good thing causes poor running.

Both Techron and BG44 instructions say to pour into a nearly empty tank, but then run it to a gas station and fill up. The short-term extra cleansers do a good job of cleaning the fuel system, but they don't burn well.
It has one bottle of fuel system cleaner and a fresh tank of premium fuel.

·
Super Moderator
22,235 Posts
You should be getting a check engine light. Do you have a scan tool?

Might want to check plug #2 again, for wetness (internally or externally?) If so, then you will know what's wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Might want to check plug #2 again, for wetness (internally or externally?) If so, then you will know what's wrong.
I do have a scan tool but I am not getting a check engine light.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tested the coil with a spark plug and is getting spark on all but it seems weak on a couple of them. Would that cause it to miss and run rich? Our should I start looking elsewhere for the problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Pulled the number 2 plug and it is wet again.

·
Super Moderator
22,235 Posts
Pulled the number 2 plug and it is wet again.
Might want to pull another plug and compare wetness, if any.

Maybe the CEL isn't working. Does it light up for a check when you start the engine? or when you just have the ignition on?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Might want to pull another plug and compare wetness, if any.

Maybe the CEL isn't working. Does it light up for a check when you start the engine? or when you just have the ignition on?
Pulled both plugs next to number 2 and the are both dry. Check engine light works comes on when key is on then once you start it goes off.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You noted a couple weak firing plugs and this makes sense as each coil fires two plugs simultaneously. Are both weak firing plugs wet?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You noted a couple weak firing plugs and this makes sense as each coil fires two plugs simultaneously. Are both weak firing plugs wet?
I did not pull the number 5 yet it was a lot harder to get to. I will pull it when I get home and see

·
3rd gen > all others
2,316 Posts
Spark plugs fire differently in atmoshpere vs, inside a pressurized cylinder. Sounds like the coil pack is weak; good enough to fire a plug outside of the engine, but not INSIDE the engine running.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts