The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Spark plugs fire differently in atmoshpere vs, inside a pressurized cylinder. Sounds like the coil pack is weak; good enough to fire a plug outside of the engine, but not INSIDE the engine running.

Update I replaced coil and it runs better but still misses. It smokes st startup and smells different.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Yes 2 and 5 seem wetter than the rest. But don't look fouled
Try to move stuff.
Try moving just one thing to another cylinder that appeared to run clean.

Lets try a spark plug.
Move the #2 spark plug with the #6 (or #4) . Go for a drive and then see if the wet spark plug dries up in the new position and the Dry spark plug appears fouled after being run in the #2 cylinder.

Then try an ignition wire. See if the problem follows the part.
Do only one thing at a time and keep notes because after a while, things may get confusing and memory gets fuzzy.

Please return here and post your results and or How and What it was that finally fixes your Mini.

It is your feedback that will make this fault and resolution complete forever.
Without your feedback, all anyone will ever know is that they have a similar problem but no idea what was done to correct it...
Cheers, and good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Try to move stuff.
Try moving just one thing to another cylinder that appeared to run clean.

Lets try a spark plug.
Move the #2 spark plug with the #6 (or #4) . Go for a drive and then see if the wet spark plug dries up in the new position and the Dry spark plug appears fouled after being run in the #2 cylinder.

Then try an ignition wire. See if the problem follows the part.
Do only one thing at a time and keep notes because after a while, things may get confusing and memory gets fuzzy.

Please return here and post your results and or How and What it was that finally fixes your Mini.

It is your feedback that will make this fault and resolution complete forever.
Without your feedback, all anyone will ever know is that they have a similar problem but no idea what was done to correct it...
Cheers, and good luck!
Thanks for your advice I will try that. Have tried different plug wires and moved the plugs but im kinda afraid to drive it much. I will see what I come up with. I plan on posting the final fix whenever I fix it.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Fuel Injectors?.... same thing, try to move.

Learning to remove the windshield cowling (that whole chunk of stuff in your way when you are trying to get the back spark plugs) learning to remove that is a big help. I can get mine in or out in less than ten minutes now.

Taking the top of the engine, (the intake plenum) off... that also affords adequate room to get in the back of the engine and also allows access to the injectors.

AutoZone has all sorts of diagnostic tools to borrow
Noid lights, fuel pressure test kits, compression testers. etc...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Fuel Injectors?.... same thing, try to move.

Learning to remove the windshield cowling (that whole chunk of stuff in your way when you are trying to get the back spark plugs) learning to remove that is a big help. I can get mine in or out in less than ten minutes now.

Taking the top of the engine, (the intake plenum) off... that also affords adequate room to get in the back of the engine and also allows access to the injectors.

AutoZone has all sorts of diagnostic tools to borrow
Noid lights, fuel pressure test kits, compression testers. etc...
Ok I didn't think about taking that cowl off. I did take the intake plenum off when I did the plugs. That helped a lot. I am planning on moving around the injectors. It kinda feels like one is stuck open. I will try to move them around and post mt results.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts