The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Routan 2010
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Routan. I added a 2019 RHR radio. It was plug and play. Yesterday i swapped the original power steering wheel ( with cruise control stalk and w/o audio controls), with a 2012 routan steering wheel, horn stopped working, lost cruise control ( no button worked) and no audio control is working)
Do i have to change the clock spring for a newer model?
I have the basic cluster
I have Alfaobd, any programming is needed?
Thanks for help

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,120 Posts
Did you have the steering wheel mounted audio controls before as well?

There are (to my knowledge), 3 variants of the clock spring and 3 variants of the wiring within the steering wheel itself.

You have: Base non audio switches, with audio switches, and premium with EVIC.

When I swapped over the wiring for the EVIC into the wheel itself and left the original clock spring in (I had only the audio switches before), I had the same issue. In fact, nothing on the steering wheel worked. I suggest you go back to the wheel you had, remove the clock spring (If you removed it), and put the original in wheel harness into the new wheel and also the original clock spring back, that will work. If you added the audio switches, you will need a clock spring and wiring with that clocks spring for the audio switches, and Alfaobd programming since you change a CAN system configuration.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you added the audio switches, you will need a clock spring and wiring with that clocks spring for the audio switches, and Alfaobd programming since you change a CAN system configuration.
I didn't need to replace the clock spring when I replaced my '09 GC SE's original basic urethane steering wheel with a leather-wrapped one out of an '09 Routan that had the audio controls. All I needed to do to make them work was to enable them in AlfaOBD.

I believe OP's current predicament comes from trying to install the 2011+ style steering wheel to a 2010 van; their 2010 Routan would have this style of steering wheel, the same as the 2008-2010 Grand Caravan and Town & Country:

While the steering wheel out of a 2012 Routan is this one, which would be the same type as the 2011-2020 Grand Caravan and 2011-2016 Town & Country:

I don't know if there is a way to make the newer-style steering wheel work, as I believe they differ electrically. The easiest way for OP to go about adding audio controls would be to get the same style of steering wheel with them out of a 2008-2010 Grand Caravan, Town & Country, or 2009-2010 Routan, and enable them with AlfaOBD.

Reactions: Michalb and Sienile

·
Registered
Routan 2010
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t have any audio controls in my original steering wheel. I think i have to swap change some wiring :
Original steering wheel
78A17126-2AFF-4CD2-BB59-A31B1931CE8F.jpeg
3D77C895-D584-4CA9-891B-FF1CEFCC39C8.jpeg

in the second picture from left to right
Pin 1: empty
Pin 2 + Pin 3 : Horn
Pins 4+5+6 : cruise control
EA06E961-0C75-48C7-9AE5-7D1521B212EF.jpeg
1573F6AA-070D-40AC-9237-FB156C7DDF55.jpeg
6198668A-6AAC-4F0B-949E-51C713F54124.jpeg

last three pictures are from the 2011+ routan
Last picture is the connector from the left side
I think i have to figure out the pinout diagram so i can change the pins in the white connector thats goes to the clock spring ( i reinstalled back the original one )

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did you have the steering wheel mounted audio controls before as well?

There are (to my knowledge), 3 variants of the clock spring and 3 variants of the wiring within the steering wheel itself.

You have: Base non audio switches, with audio switches, and premium with EVIC.
All 2008-2010 5th gen vans use the same clock spring, with Mopar part number 56046241AC.

I don’t have any audio controls in my original steering wheel. I think i have to swap change some wiring :
Original steering wheel
View attachment 61926 View attachment 61927
in the second picture from left to right
Pin 1: empty
Pin 2 + Pin 3 : Horn
Pins 4+5+6 : cruise control
View attachment 61930 View attachment 61929 View attachment 61928
last three pictures are from the 2011+ routan
Last picture is the connector from the left side
I think i have to figure out the pinout diagram so i can change the pins in the white connector thats goes to the clock spring ( i reinstalled back the original one )
For the 2008-2010 vans, I've noticed that the first three wires of the white 6-pin C2 connector from the vehicle going to the back of the clock spring, which corresponds to the 6-pin connector from the steering wheel that connects to the front of the clock spring, differs depending on if the van is equipped with EVIC or not; ground (black wire), LIN Bus (white/dark green wire), and B+ power (red wire) respectively if equipped with EVIC, and "Radio Control Mux" (gray/white wire), "Radio Control Mux Return" (gray/orange wire), and "Horn Switch Sense" (dark green/violet wire) respectively if not equipped with EVIC:

With EVIC:

Without EVIC:

The 6-pin steering wheel to clock spring connector for the 2011+ steering wheel is wired with the first three pins having the same functions as the first three pins of the EVIC-equipped 2008-2010 van, just with different colored wires; ground (white/yellow wire), LIN Bus (black wire), and B+ power (violet wire):

To change the 6-pin C2 vehicle connector going to the back of the clock spring from the 2008-2010 non-EVIC to EVIC wiring, to match what the 2011+ steering wheel has, I would suggest cutting the wires going to pins 1-3 of the C2 connector (cut back from the connector far enough to allow reconnection to the original vehicle wires with a butt connector, additional wire and solder, etc. if needed), tapping into the ground, B+, and LIN Bus wires of pins 1, 2, and 3 respectively of the 4-pin C1 vehicle connector going to the multi-function control switch (turn signal, wiper, and washer controls), and then connecting them to your cut wires going to pins 1 (ground), 3 (B+), and 2 (LIN Bus) respectively of the C2 connector:

Please note that I do not know if this will work, given that LIN Bus connectivity is involved and I do not know if the 2008-2010 LIN Bus system would properly recognize the 2011+ steering wheel controls for use. If you decide to try this, it is entirely at your own risk and I am not responsible whatsoever for any injury, damage, etc. that may result.

Reactions: mbrini and Michalb

·
Registered
Routan 2010
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks 09caravanSE
I have a 2018 caravan front in my driveway so i cut the clock spring harness and made connection ( didn’t want cut mine)

i tried your suggestions but nothing worked

CBC9A30B-944F-4E61-B1CF-F4E72C0F755E.jpeg
E1532A46-EAEE-40F8-8456-E314ED2FF52C.jpeg
294B2F55-DC66-4F73-94C0-B734398B7C9B.jpeg
BA79E838-63E4-4FDF-8F97-AFE2EC2D6C1D.jpeg

·
Registered
Routan 2010
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
was wondering if i have to swap my cluster ( i have the basic one) to get everything working

this is the complete front that i have in my driveway, took the uconnect and i m missing mic to finalize everything
6D67B20D-75F7-4C7F-ACF1-9CCEE101923E.jpeg
488F9030-AC5B-43D0-B496-A34EA4851D58.jpeg
F4C6E248-F71E-4D3F-AF04-E93AA4F32AA2.jpeg

The two pictures above : the other connector in my clock spring compared with the one with evic (left)
Picture below : uconnect coming , missing wiring between autodimming rear view mirror and the uconnect module
7BE8D314-8695-4F8E-86A0-4D451ED0AFBF.jpeg

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,120 Posts
I don't mean the part itself is different, I mean the programing within the clock spring may be different, that's all I was saying.

This is particular to the EVIC. And the reason is because the EVIC wheel has more functions then the clock spring plug on the back has, it's likely meant to accept a different signal then the non-EVIC version. When I plugged in my EVIC cluster, and the EVIC wiring for the EVIC steering wheel switches, nothing on the steering wheel worked, and another member tried this too and confirmed this. He got it working with a different clock spring that came from a van with the EVIC. And no, the EVIC wiring didn't work for my non-EVIC cluster.

And BTW, your earlier photo shows a black 15 way connector, that is for the EVIC master switch.... And I know because I have the EVIC wiring and switches.

·
Registered
Routan 2010
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So next step is to find the good clockspring
I have a newer one but he gaves me air bag error so i removed it and put back mine
When the newest clockspring was installed i tried my old power steering wheel and every thing worked fine ( horn and cruise control)
I will try to get an EVIC clockspring

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks 09caravanSE
I have a 2018 caravan front in my driveway so i cut the clock spring harness and made connection ( didn’t want cut mine)

i tried your suggestions but nothing worked

View attachment 61932 View attachment 61933 View attachment 61934 View attachment 61935
I'm admittedly having a hard time trying to figure out what you're doing here with the wiring; this is what I was trying to communicate in my previous post here:

Anyways, even if all the connections are physically made properly, that doesn't mean it will work. There would be programming to get steering wheel switches to work (so far, all I can find in AlfaOBD is for the conventional steering wheel audio controls, not anything EVIC-style for 2008-2010), and like I said earlier, the 2008-2010 LIN Bus system may not be able to properly recognize the 2011+ steering wheel controls for use.

I don't mean the part itself is different, I mean the programing within the clock spring may be different, that's all I was saying.

This is particular to the EVIC. And the reason is because the EVIC wheel has more functions then the clock spring plug on the back has, it's likely meant to accept a different signal then the non-EVIC version. When I plugged in my EVIC cluster, and the EVIC wiring for the EVIC steering wheel switches, nothing on the steering wheel worked, and another member tried this too and confirmed this. He got it working with a different clock spring that came from a van with the EVIC. And no, the EVIC wiring didn't work for my non-EVIC cluster.
I could be wrong, but my impression of the C2 connector on the back of the clock spring was for the 6-pin steering wheel connector that has the same wires; the clock spring is simply a pass-through for circuit connections to get from the vehicle to the steering wheel and vice versa. The only sensor or module of the clock spring assembly that can be read is the steering angle sensor, at least from what I can see in AlfaOBD, which connects separately through its own 4-pin connector from the vehicle. As I showed in my previous post, pins 1-3 of the vehicle C2 connector differ on an EVIC vs. non-EVIC 2008-2010 van. The EVIC steering wheel controls communicate with the vehicle through the LIN Bus system, which the instrument cluster controls. I'm intrigued though if there is actually a difference within the clock spring, if you're claiming that someone had to replace theirs in order to get EVIC working, as the clock spring can be simply thought of as a special wire that maintains the circuit connections for whatever rotational position the steering wheel is in.

Anyways, if all that the OP (mbrini) wants to add here is steering wheel audio controls, the easiest and best way would be to get the original style of steering wheel with them out of a 2008-2010 Grand Caravan, 2008-2010 Town & Country, or 2009-2010 Routan, and enable them with AlfaOBD (Body Computer -> Car Configuration Change -> Vehicle Config 2: Remote Steering Wheel Switches). That's what worked for my 2009 Grand Caravan SE van. I'd be intrigued to see a 2011+ steering wheel made to work on a 2008-2010 5th gen van, but it's a lot more effort than what is needed if the only goal is to just add steering wheel audio controls.

So next step is to find the good clockspring
I have a newer one but he gaves me air bag error so i removed it and put back mine
When the newest clockspring was installed i tried my old power steering wheel and every thing worked fine ( horn and cruise control)
I will try to get an EVIC clockspring
The airbag error from the newer clock spring may be because it was a faulty part; it is easy to damage those if they are turned inappropriately.

As the 2011+ steering wheel controls communicate through the LIN Bus system, and the instrument cluster controls the LIN Bus system, you may also want to get the cluster from that 2011+ Routan if it appears that they would be electrically compatible (e.g. same connectors with same wiring) if you do insist on trying to get this 2012 steering wheel working in your 2010 Routan.

Reactions: Michalb

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,120 Posts
I could be wrong, but my impression of the C2 connector on the back of the clock spring was for the 6-pin steering wheel connector that has the same wires; the clock spring is simply a pass-through for circuit connections to get from the vehicle to the steering wheel and vice versa. The only sensor or module of the clock spring assembly that can be read is the steering angle sensor, at least from what I can see in AlfaOBD, which connects separately through its own 4-pin connector from the vehicle. As I showed in my previous post, pins 1-3 of the vehicle C2 connector differ on an EVIC vs. non-EVIC 2008-2010 van. The EVIC steering wheel controls communicate with the vehicle through the LIN Bus system, which the instrument cluster controls. I'm intrigued though if there is actually a difference within the clock spring, if you're claiming that someone had to replace theirs in order to get EVIC working, as the clock spring can be simply thought of as a special wire that maintains the circuit connections for whatever rotational position the steering wheel is in.
Well, even for my van when I swapped the wiring for the EVIC version no steering wheel electronics worked, and the guy that added the EVIC had the same story. When he replaced the clock spring for one that came from the EVIC it then worked for him. Replacing the harness alone for the EVIC gave me a few trouble codes, including lost communication with audio switches which my van was originally equipped with. And the EVIC switches which do actually light up, weren't lit up even with headlights on, so there is definitely something different between the EVIC and non EVIC at the least, otherwise why did a simple cluster swap and the wiring within the steering wheel swap for the EVIC switches not work for me with the original clock spring?

The base non evic harness with audio switches will not have the big black connector, that is for the master EVIC switch, and I can grab photos tomorrow should we need some. In the audio switch only harness those are not present, at least not on my van. If it's just the audio switches you want then I suggest you find a GCV/T&C/Routan van that didn't have EVIC but had the audio switches, and take the wheel harness and replace it for the one you have. And I can say 99% that doing this they will work (Once audio switches present is true in programming).
anyways, even if all the connections are physically made properly, that doesn't mean it will work. There would be programming to get steering wheel switches to work (so far, all I can find in AlfaOBD is for the conventional steering wheel audio controls, not anything EVIC-style for 2008-2010), and like I said earlier, the 2008-2010 LIN Bus system may not be able to properly recognize the 2011+ steering wheel controls for use.
Well, appcar FCA also doesn't have anything for EVIC> Just the "equipped with premium TPMS" but nothing else aside for the steering wheel mounted audio switches. The guy Agh_AL is the one who did the full EVIC addition to his van, and we both came to the conclusion something was different with the clock spring. So he went and bought one from a EVIC equipped van, then the EVIC worked for him.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well, even for my van when I swapped the wiring for the EVIC version no steering wheel electronics worked, and the guy that added the EVIC had the same story. When he replaced the clock spring for one that came from the EVIC it then worked for him. Replacing the harness alone for the EVIC gave me a few trouble codes, including lost communication with audio switches which my van was originally equipped with. And the EVIC switches which do actually light up, weren't lit up even with headlights on, so there is definitely something different between the EVIC and non EVIC at the least, otherwise why did a simple cluster swap and the wiring within the steering wheel swap for the EVIC switches not work for me with the original clock spring?
As in one of my previous posts, EVIC and non-EVIC 2008-2010 vans are wired differently at pins 1-3 of the 6-pin C2 connector going into the back of the clock spring, which directly corresponds to the 6-pin connector from the steering wheel that connects to the front of the clock spring for the horn and other steering wheel controls:

With EVIC

Without EVIC

Even with swapping the clusters and the wiring inside the steering wheel, EVIC perceivably still wouldn't work as the non-EVIC 2008-2010 van would not be wired to provide power (B+ and ground) and LIN Bus communication to and from the van and the EVIC control components inside the steering wheel - hence why the button illumination didn't work in your scenario as there was no power and no LIN Bus communication to trigger that. If the vehicle wiring pertaining to the clock spring and cluster was also replaced with the wiring from the EVIC 2008-2010 van, which then provided power and LIN Bus communication at the correct connector pins to the steering wheel, then it would perceivably work as it would be properly connected to the van.

Well, appcar FCA also doesn't have anything for EVIC> Just the "equipped with premium TPMS" but nothing else aside for the steering wheel mounted audio switches. The guy Agh_AL is the one who did the full EVIC addition to his van, and we both came to the conclusion something was different with the clock spring. So he went and bought one from a EVIC equipped van, then the EVIC worked for him.
I'm sorry, but I have a hard time understanding that all it took was changing the clock spring (and no other wiring inside the vehicle itself aside from the EVIC steering wheel) to get it to work if that's what they claimed. The clock spring is the same type of part for all 2008-2010 5th gen vans (56046241AA/AB/AC), and the clock spring is basically just special wires that maintain the circuit connections for whatever rotational position the steering wheel is in; e.g. whatever is going into the back of the clock spring at the vehicle's 6-pin C2 connector will be passed through to the front of the clock spring for the steering wheel to connect to, and hence why an airbag light being on is often a sign of a bad clock spring as the driver airbag is no longer in connection to the vehicle. Whatever is present within the first three pins of the vehicle C2 connector is what will get passed to the steering wheel, whether it is ground, B+, and LIN Bus from an EVIC 2008-2010 van or "radio control mux", "radio control mux return", and "horn switch sense" as from a non-EVIC 2008-2010 van. Essentially, yes, there is something different present at the clock spring of an EVIC 2008-2010 van versus a non-EVIC 2008-2010 van, but that is from the vehicle wiring going to the clock spring; not the clock spring itself.

The base non evic harness with audio switches will not have the big black connector, that is for the master EVIC switch, and I can grab photos tomorrow should we need some. In the audio switch only harness those are not present, at least not on my van. If it's just the audio switches you want then I suggest you find a GCV/T&C/Routan van that didn't have EVIC but had the audio switches, and take the wheel harness and replace it for the one you have. And I can say 99% that doing this they will work (Once audio switches present is true in programming).
Anyways, this 2008-2010 EVIC discussion was off topic for what the OP appears to be trying to achieve: adding the steering wheel audio controls to their 2010 Routan. The only reason why I mentioned the 2008-2010 EVIC was that the 2011+ steering wheel, which OP has and wants to add, has ground, LIN Bus, and B+ at the first three pins of the 6-pin steering wheel and vehicle C2 connectors like the 2008-2010 EVIC vans and steering wheels, and not "radio control mux", "radio control mux return", and "horn switch sense" wires like the 2008-2010 non-EVIC steering wheels - hence why I suggested a possible way to reconfigure the wiring of the C2 connector so that ground, LIN Bus, and B+ are made present to the steering wheel. The cruise control switch wires (pins 4-6 of the C2 connector) are the same across all, yet they did not work for OP on their 2012 steering wheel in their 2010 Routan that came with a basic steering wheel; this leads me to believe that the switch module for it in the 2011+ steering wheel would require power to operate, hence why B+ and ground go to that steering wheel.

Reactions: mbrini and Michalb

·
Registered
Routan 2010
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your help guys, what’s frustrating is that a 2019 radio navigation is working, a 2018 uconnect is working, a remote start idatalink is working and not some simple buttons. I will try to get a newer clockspring today and retry to swap wires according to 09caravanse

i don’t like the look of the old steering wheel, bought 2011+ airbag +steering wheel for 110$us from ebay, and the price for 2010 steering wheel only with buttons is more than 150$
So i will keep the 2011 kit and at least i will try to make the horn working and forgive the buttons

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for your help guys, what’s frustrating is that a 2019 radio navigation is working, a 2018 uconnect is working, a remote start idatalink is working and not some simple buttons. I will try to get a newer clockspring today and retry to swap wires according to 09caravanse
It is more than just "some simple buttons" when they are electrically different than the ones your 2010 Routan van is configured to accept. The RHR navigation radio, UConnect module, and aftermarket iDatalink remote start were all electrically compatible with your van, hence why they all worked right out of the box.

I wonder if there's been any documented attempts here and elsewhere in the past to retrofit a 2011+ steering wheel to a 2008-2010 van. I haven't found any so far.

Anyways, I'd suggest T-taps with quick connect crimp connectors for easy tapping into existing wires (red for 18-22 gauge wire, which is the gauge of wire you'll be dealing with here), and male and female quick connect crimp connectors for any cut wires so that they can easily be reconnected. I'd suggest having some extra 18 gauge wire on hand too, as you'd need it for running a connection from a tapped wire to a wire you need to connect to, plus it's handy to have if you ever need to extend any wires here. If using crimp connectors, make sure to use a proper crimping tool (e.g. ratcheting crimper) and not anything that is not purpose-made for crimping (e.g. pliers), and do a quick pull test on the wire and connector right after crimping to ensure the connection is tight and doesn't easily pull apart. Make sure you have the negative terminal of your Routan's battery disconnected while you do any electrical work and any work that involves handling the airbag. Again, my disclaimer of that if you decide to try this, it is entirely at your own risk and I am not responsible whatsoever for any injury, damage, etc. that may result.

i don’t like the look of the old steering wheel, bought 2011+ airbag +steering wheel for 110$us from ebay, and the price for 2010 steering wheel only with buttons is more than 150$
So i will keep the 2011 kit and at least i will try to make the horn working and forgive the buttons
If there is a self-serve (u-pull, pick-and-pull, etc.) type of junkyard in your area, you'd probably be able to get a 2008-2010 steering wheel for a lot less than the prices on eBay and full-service junkyards. You wouldn't even need the entire steering wheel in that case; just the back plastic part with the audio controls and the wiring harness inside the steering wheel. If the steering wheel is coming out of a Dodge or Chrysler van, you'd need a "Dark Slate Gray"-colored one to match the coloration of your 2010 Routan's original steering wheel.

Reactions: Michalb and mbrini

·
Registered
Routan 2010
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i installed the newest clockspring and nothing worked for me
i changed wiring on c2 connector as suggested but nothing worked (didn't use tap connectors , i ordered them )

Horn worked with old wiring and the new clockspring

it's a question of wiring, 09caravanSE, where you got the wiring diagram posted above?

·
Registered
Routan 2010
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found this picture in internet

steerin.jpg

09caravanSE, i was wondering if the pin swapping has to be done on the BCM instead of the multifunction talk ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
i installed the newest clockspring and nothing worked for me
i changed wiring on c2 connector as suggested but nothing worked (didn't use tap connectors , i ordered them )

Horn worked with old wiring and the new clockspring

it's a question of wiring, 09caravanSE, where you got the wiring diagram posted above?
I got the connector diagrams from the Mopar Connection Repair Kit website. "RT: CARAVAN/TOWN AND COUNTRY" is also completely applicable to your VW Routan, as the Routan is a Chrysler RT vehicle.

I found this picture in internet

View attachment 61960
09caravanSE, i was wondering if the pin swapping has to be done on the BCM instead of the multifunction talk ?
That picture is for the WJ Grand Cherokee (1999-2004) that used a BCM. Chrysler replaced the BCM system with the TIPM and CCN, the latter being the instrument cluster in the Chrysler RT vehicles (2008-2020 Grand Caravan, 2008-2016 Town & Country, and 2009-2014 Routan). The LIN Bus communication that your 2012 steering wheel has is controlled by the CCN:

And in these 5th gen vans, the CCN is what controls the horn and steering wheel audio controls; the switches either communicate through LIN Bus to the CCN with an EVIC-equipped van, or are hard-wired to the CCN in a non-EVIC van (hence why the first three wires of the C2 connector differ between EVIC and non-EVIC vans):

A possible reason why your 2012 steering wheel isn't working (just pure speculation from me here) is that your current non-EVIC cluster is unable to use the EVIC-style switches of the 2012 steering wheel through the LIN Bus, as the horn and steering wheel audio controls for the non-EVIC cluster would be of the hard-wired type. In that case, it would be sensible to try a 2011-2014 Routan instrument cluster if possible (2011-2014 so that you know it should work with the newer style steering wheel), particularly one with EVIC as your 2012 steering wheel appears to be of the EVIC type (based off of the connectors in your steering wheel):

However, if you're only able to buy parts off of eBay or full-service junkyards, that would be a lot of money to spend on something that may not even work for this, given that clusters from those two aforementioned places aren't cheap and may not be returnable (depending on the exact seller).

If I recall correctly, the 2008-2010 and 2011-2020 instrument clusters for the Dodge & Chrysler vans differed electrically and were not interchangeable in that regard (the three cluster connectors from the vehicle differed in how they were wired), but the VW Routan appears to have maintained the same type of instrument cluster between the 2009-2010 and 2011-2014 iterations of it, as the EVIC and non-EVIC cluster displays of the 2011-2014 Routan vans exactly resembled what the 2008-2010 Dodge & Chrysler vans had.

Anyways, would it be possible for you to take a picture of the whole front of your 2012 steering wheel, so that all the front switches can be seen? This will help confirm that it is indeed an EVIC-type steering wheel.

Reactions: Michalb and mbrini

·
Registered
183 Posts
Based on the buttons on the left side of your 2012 steering wheel, it actually is the non-EVIC version:

Sources: 2011 Volkswagen Routan SEL- Bill Britt Motors- $23,999, 2011 Volkswagen Routan Startup / In Depth Tour

2011-2014 Routan vans with EVIC have a different set of buttons on the left side:

Sources: 2012 Volkswagen Routan SE Review and Test Drive by Bill - Auto Europa Naples, 2012 Volkswagen Routan Highline, W/ DVD, Seats 7, Nav Review| Island Ford

How to differentiate EVIC vs non-EVIC clusters is that an EVIC cluster has a more detailed dot-matrix display on the left side, while a non-EVIC cluster has a less detailed LCD on the left side that is reminiscent of cheap handheld calculator displays.

If reconfiguring the C2 connector going from the vehicle to the back of the clock spring (to have the first three pins consist of ground, LIN Bus, and B+) and programming in the steering wheel switch function in AlfaOBD (Body Computer -> Car Configuration Change -> Vehicle Config 2: Remote Steering Wheel Switches) both don't work, what I would suggest as a last resort if possible would be to get a 2011-2014 Routan non-EVIC cluster and try that in your van. Like with all my other suggestions here, I don't know if that would make all the buttons on your 2012 steering wheel work as they should. Your current instrument cluster and a 2011-2014 Routan non-EVIC cluster would both look exactly the same, with the exact same displays, but there might be a difference between how the two handle steering wheel controls (I don't know if that's the case) - particularly as your 2012 non-EVIC Routan steering wheel is wired like how an EVIC steering wheel would be in 2008-2010 Dodge & Chrysler vans (steering wheel controls over LIN Bus, versus being hard-wired to the cluster).

Reactions: mbrini
1 - 20 of 21 Posts