The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather stripping on the driver's side door on the body is torn. I tried gluing but it did not hold.

Anyone know where I can get this? I see J. C. Whitney has universal stripping but don't know if that will work.

Thanks.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Try ordering it at the dealer parts department.
Hank

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I realize the dealer would have this, but I am looking for a less expensive option... some after market.. perhaps J.C.Whitney etc.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You might try Steele Rubber Products. I used to shop there for weatherstripping for my 64 Cutlass but they do have over 300 extrusions not specific to any car. I just went to their site and looked at those extrusions. There might be something that would work.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,048 Posts
My experience with weatherstripping is to buy the factory stuff. It will fit a lot better. I've done the job TWICE on a couple of cars 'cause I'm CHEAP...:jpshakehe

See what the online dealers want for the part...save some $$.

PS: Is the present rubber torn because the seatbelt gets caught in the door? Fix the problem, THEN fix the symptom.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Rubber Repair

If the tear is not too, too bad (actually you can bridge any length), get a piece of small soft tubing and bridge the tear. Go into the hollow of the weatherstrip with the tubing.

Buy some black silicone rubber. I buy it in the caulking gun size.

Overcoat the weatherstrip with the silicone rubber.

Now here is my very own patented method for repair.

Get a piece of plastic wrap and cover the repaired area completely.

Smooth the repair thru the plastic wrap. Wet your finger and it will slide easier.

Close the door. The door will make the final shape/seal. The plastic wrap prevents the silicone from sticking to the door.

You can use the car normally for the next couple of weeks, or forever for that matter.

After a few weeks, the silcone should cure. If not, leave the plastic wrap on for as long as it takes.

Now you all know what I know, and I will send anyone who knows why this method works a check for $100 (but I charge $100 if you use my method).

Here's hint, don't even try to use Saran Wrap.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You could also buy the part from a junk yard and even if its damaged, you can patch it together using surgical tubing and RTV. Just patch it in an area where it wont see any abuse, like in the front of the door area. Although most autowreckers are pretty greedy and it might be cheaper just to go get new from the dealer.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've had good luck repairing weatherstripping tears by using 3M Weatherstrip adhesive. I realize the stuff is meant to hold weatherstripping on to the car, but it's a tenacious adhesive and works well to glue torn pieces back together again. I've used it on several spots on my liftgate weatherstrip where I've dragged cargo over the rubber and torn it. Try to keep it off your hands and clothes, though!

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
Looking at the prices for new weatherstripping for my '01, I would explore alternatives:

the prices are from wholesalemopar:

WEATHERSTRIP, Front Door, Door Mounted
4717720AA Right $81
4717721AA Left $81

WEATHERSTRIP, Front Door, Body Mounted
4717728AC $95

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies! Given the cost of the replacement I think I will try one of the 'repair' techniques in these replies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts