The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all. Wife started the van today, ran very rough, stalled etc. Sent lots of codes: P1684, P0122, P0118, P0106, P206, P1478, P1598. Can't find anything on the last two, but looks like an electrical prob wiring or PCM from searching around. Any specific things I can easily do to eliminate one or the other or should it go to the professionals? Thanks for any advice. 2002, 130K

·
5000 Club
5,716 Posts
P1478 = Battery temperature sensor high voltage
P1598 = A/C pressure sensor high voltage

I take it it does restart? Which engine? Agree it sounds like basic electrical problem not individual sensor problem but P0206 #6 cylinder injector malfunction sounds like what it began with. Check it's connection. Make sure battery connections are clean and tight. Wouldn't hurt to reseat them. Wiggle battery cables as far down as you can reach to see if that induces anything. Either have the battery load tested or just replace if 5 or more years old. IPM (underhood fuse/relay panel) is problem area for corrosion on connections and internal circuit board.

If you disconnect the battery for 30 seconds the codes will reset. A good first step. See what codes come back and go from there. Could have been a voltage spike as it stalled that caused most codes.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ Background info on all your codes. Codes in blue have additional info. To get to last two codes click the Dodge label at upper right.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 3.8. Just got a look at it. It does restart and runs extremely rough. Alternator light on too although it does seem to be charging. I pulled the battery, and after reset and re-start, all the same codes came back. Definately not driveable. I'll look around the wiring tonight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm curious if your van had been started for a very short time and then shut off, like it would experience if moving out of the garage into the driveway.

I have owned many Chrysler V6's and they all have experienced 'car wash syndrome' at least a few times. This occurs on a start up that follows a very short run cycle. The engine runs very, very badly but clears itself up in a minute or so.

I don't recall all of the warning lights you describe though ...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No unfortunately that's not it. Ran fine last night, put away in the garage, started up this morning to leave for work and wham. I've since started it a couple times still running extremely rough, same codes, alternator llight on too. Comes close to evening out at higher rpms, but still missing. Putting it in gear it just bucks/surges. Fans kick on and off since its getting high temp codes... I guess I can start with the alternator (remove and have tested). Did I read that alternator does not come out easily on this model or is that the other engine? Looks like it should come out easy enough to me... After that wiring then PCM???

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have you started it at night and looked for arcing from the spark plug wires? Misting water from a spray bottle lightly over the engine will help to see if there is any arcing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all. I have been able to find and fix this problem. After digging around in the archives here, I found a thread about a portion of the harness rotting away to reveal bare wires. I can't even find it again otherwise I'd link it as there were pictures. I started at the #6 injector (one of my codes) and went back from there. Sure enough just on the back side of the motor, behind the PS resivoir and under the distributor, there was a connector 4 inches up from which all the insulation on the 10 wires out of this connector had crumbled away and disintegrated. Bare shiny copper wires beautifully touching one another. The outer protective fabric wrap was still in place and looked fine. It appears this small section hangs out over the inside exhaust manifold and didn't melt but just gradually cooked away the insulation. I oufitted each wire with shrink wrap, liquid tape, and silicone to help seal it all up. I'll probably wrap it in some heat tape too. Started up and ran fine. Only other problem now is my rear rotors are stuck after sitting for a month. - always somethin' :)

·
5000 Club
5,716 Posts
Great job. This would have cost some big bucks at a dealership. Thanks for posting the fix.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep that was the one. Mine was a little more pronounced, i am surpised it didn't manifest it self in a smaller random fashion. It just went all at once. It is interesting to note that I too had transmission work done 6 months to a year prior. Perhaps someone moved the harness and didn't put it back exactly as it was supposed to be and it fried over the manifold. I give credit to the knowledge on this forum. Without this info, it would have been towed to a dealer who would have probably started by replacing the PCM. Thanks everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts