The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of trying to find a Chrysler Town and Country Touring. I am looking at 2012 to 2016 models. I am noticing most of them so far have a bit of rust on the wheel wells and some bubbling of the paint. Is this to be expected on these vehicles or should I run from any vehicle that has rust?

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
It all depends. Can the rust be abated with Fluid Film?

Look for a vehicle that has been corrosion protected, preferably with a product that doesn't harden. Krown for example.

Rust through isn't good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It all depends. Can the rust be abated with Fluid Film?

Look for a vehicle that has been corrosion protected, preferably with a product that doesn't harden. Krown for example.

Rust through isn't good.
Is there some way to know if it has been corrosion protected? It's at a dealership, not a private sale. If I were to ensure it has yearly protection will that slow down the rust or will whatever is there just keep growing and growing? It's on the back wheel wells. Can a body shop fix it?

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
Is there some way to know if it has been corrosion protected? It's at a dealership, not a private sale. If I were to ensure it has yearly protection will that slow down the rust or will whatever is there just keep growing and growing? It's on the back wheel wells. Can a body shop fix it?
Is the vehicle certified by the Dealer or "as is"? Safety inspection?

The Dealership will know, by looking at the vehicle underneath, if it has had some kind of rust protection. May have labels like Krown or Rust Check on the windows. Will the Dealership put it on a hoist for you so you can see if it's rusted underneath?

A five year old vehicle should be okay, anything after that, it the salt zone, could be fairly rusted underneath.

Then again, watch out. I have seen rust buckets light trucks on the hoist and guess what. They were getting sprayed with black rust rustproofing like material, covering up the rust, to be sold. That black material tends to harden and promotes further rusting. Avoid rubberized and waxoyl types that harden.

Reactions: jm70 and Pugwinkle

·
Registered
2014 Chrysler Town & Country 30th Anniversary Edition. 3.6L, 211kW
134 Posts
Some rust and bubbling seems to be kind of normal for that van in certain climates. I have some rust as well in wheel wells and bubbling in one corner of the hood. I'll go over the wells in spring with some rust converter. It forever ending cat and mouse game with rust.

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
Read the instructions on rust converters. They don't convert paint or stick very well to paint. They only work on a rusted surface.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Read the instructions on rust converters. They don't convert paint or stick very well to paint. They only work on a rusted surface.
Well the wheel wells have rust on them and you put the converter on the rust not paint. By going over I didn’t mean that I’ll put the converter all over the wells, only where rust is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
540 Posts
We're in Canada. Any nearly 10 yr old vehicle is going to have rust .....

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
My experience with rust converter = not impressed. You have to get it in every pin hole or guess what. My most recent use was on my Jeep, last Fall. Brushed on the rust converter, the best way to work it in, and used rust paint over top. Small rust spots are showing through again. Of course, road salt doesn't help. That was on a front fender, the floor, Driver's side inside, was done the same way, but haven't checked it yet. I expect it will do better.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
We're in Canada. Any nearly 10 yr old vehicle is going to have rust .....
Yes, but not if it spends its winters in Florida. :) Find one of those vehicles and you have a winner.

Reactions: CaptMax and UN4GTBL

·
Registered
134 Posts
My experience with rust converter = not impressed. You have to get it in every pin hole or guess what. My most recent use was on my Jeep, last Fall. Brushed on the rust converter, the best way to work it in, and used rust paint over top. Small rust spots are showing through again. Of course, road salt doesn't help. That was on a front fender, the floor, Driver's side inside, was done the same way, but haven't checked it yet. I expect it will do better.
When I bought my van last year I brought it to a body shop. They cleaned the rust off and re-painted the rusty places. A year later and rust spots are back. So I’d rather buy the converter and do that every year or twice a year than pay hundreds to a body shop.

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
Some rust converters work better than others. There was one by Kleen-Flo that was better than the rest, but they don't market it anymore

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
When I bought my van last year I brought it to a body shop. They cleaned the rust off and re-painted the rusty places. A year later and rust spots are back. So I’d rather buy the converter and do that every year or twice a year than pay hundreds to a body shop.

Body Shops don't like working with rust. It keeps coming back to haunt them. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Body Shops don't like working with rust. It keeps coming back to haunt them. :)
Yup, that’s why they don’t give any warranty to rust jobs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The Dealership will know, by looking at the vehicle underneath, if it has had some kind of rust protection. May have labels like Krown or Rust Check on the windows. Will the Dealership put it on a hoist for you so you can see if it's rusted underneath?

A five year old vehicle should be okay, anything after that, it the salt zone, could be fairly rusted underneath.

Then again, watch out. I have seen rust buckets light trucks on the hoist and guess what. They were getting sprayed with black rust rustproofing like material, covering up the rust, to be sold. That black material tends to harden and promotes further rusting. Avoid rubberized and waxoyl types that harden.
I will be going tomorrow to see the vehicle and I have an appointment with a mechanic close by to do a prepurchase inspection so hopefully he can tell me if the vehicle is worth purchasing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

what do you mean by a converter

·
Registered
134 Posts
what do you mean by a converter
It somehow reacts with the rust. At first it’s white but after applying it onto the rust and reacting, it turns black.
I got Loctite SF 7505. It looks like that particular product is not available in the US

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
I will be going tomorrow to see the vehicle and I have an appointment with a mechanic close by to do a prepurchase inspection so hopefully he can tell me if the vehicle is worth purchasing.
Sounds like a good plan. Any pictures of the vehicle? any specifics re model year, engine, miles and such? any maintenance records? outstanding recalls? spare wheel?

Reactions: Pugwinkle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

yes the vehicle will be certified by the dealer. I will be taking it to a mechanic to have a pre purchase inspection.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts