The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just bought a 2013 Chrysler Town & Country Touring minivan. I want to convert it to an RV and was wondering if anyone has converted their van to an RV or converted it for camping?

·
Super Moderator
6,253 Posts
When I was in Florida this past February, I saw this converted Odyssey. I'm not talking curtains in the windows and a sunshade in the windshield either. They were hardcore. Everything behind the front doors was gone, and it had an RV body for the back of it. I wish that I had gotten a picture, as it was very interesting. I've tried to google it, but never get anywhere.

·
Registered
639 Posts
interesting type stretch type.jpg

or the Chrysler Voyager-3 prototype would be sweet

Plymouth-Voyager-III-1989-trim.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
I boondock in my van multiple times a week.

I have removed the the back seats and built a bed frame from the plastic shop shelving you can buy at Walmart for $35. I just put together four of the sturdy shelves, and then cable tied them for stability. Twin mattress on top, and a nice bed set with comfy pillows.. one of those "bed in a bag" things. The shelving platform gives me the raised feel of a bed, which in my middle-aged years I find easier to get in and out of than an air mattress on the floor, plus it acts like a bedspring.

I cut the PVC shelving legs down a bit so that there is shelving room under the bed, tall enough to hold the wooden crates you can buy at Walmart in their craft section. I use those crates for dressers and storage space. They hold my clean cloths, my dirty clothes (in a garbage bag to reduce odors), my extension cords and power cables, food, sterno, etc...

I keep those from sliding around when I drive by just placing bungee cords in front of them, wrapped around the legs of the bed frame.

Behind the drivers side seat I have a couple of deep cycle batteries with cables run to my alternator, and a larger than normal alternator in the bay, so they can charge while I drive. I have these run to a 1000w power inverter, which I use to power fans, portable heaters (I have a heater that is 135w and can run for a few hours on these batteries for winter), and to charge my tablet (which is really my portable TV) phone and broadband wifi. I also have a low power swamp cooler for the summer months.

I made window shades out of Reflectix to cover the windows in the van at night, and it helps keep the cold/heat out in Arizona and give me a little privacy.

I'd be happy to exchange ideas with you any time. I'm always looking for ways to improve the Town and Country Motel for more comfort. I don't have the seats that fold into the floorboard, so some people may have much more room to work with than I do.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,626 Posts
I boondock in my van multiple times a week.

I have removed the the back seats and built a bed frame from the plastic shop shelving you can buy at Walmart for $35. I just put together four of the sturdy shelves, and then cable tied them for stability. Twin mattress on top, and a nice bed set with comfy pillows.. one of those "bed in a bag" things. The shelving platform gives me the raised feel of a bed, which in my middle-aged years I find easier to get in and out of than an air mattress on the floor, plus it acts like a bedspring.

I cut the PVC shelving legs down a bit so that there is shelving room under the bed, tall enough to hold the wooden crates you can buy at Walmart in their craft section. I use those crates for dressers and storage space. They hold my clean cloths, my dirty clothes (in a garbage bag to reduce odors), my extension cords and power cables, food, sterno, etc...

I keep those from sliding around when I drive by just placing bungee cords in front of them, wrapped around the legs of the bed frame.

Behind the drivers side seat I have a couple of deep cycle batteries with cables run to my alternator, and a larger than normal alternator in the bay, so they can charge while I drive. I have these run to a 1000w power inverter, which I use to power fans, portable heaters (I have a heater that is 135w and can run for a few hours on these batteries for winter), and to charge my tablet (which is really my portable TV) phone and broadband wifi. I also have a low power swamp cooler for the summer months.

I made window shades out of Reflectix to cover the windows in the van at night, and it helps keep the cold/heat out in Arizona and give me a little privacy.

I'd be happy to exchange ideas with you any time. I'm always looking for ways to improve the Town and Country Motel for more comfort. I don't have the seats that fold into the floorboard, so some people may have much more room to work with than I do.
I would like to see pictures but I'm afraid of them, but post them anyways. Hope you have something different than what we usually see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Probably not. I'm a guy, I don't need anything fancy or decorative. Closest thing I have to "unique" is a couple of hanging baskets to put my wallet and keys and stuff in when I sleep.

Right now, she's a mess back there with an engine swap happening, but I'll get her cleaned up when that's done and throw up some pics.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It's possible to do a high-top on a caravan. Some of the handicap conversions have a very tall high-top. Rather than converting your Caravan to this, it's best to just buy one of those instead since the suspension is already upgraded for added weight.

If you are on the cheap, I would suggest a lite weight platform on the roof-rack to add a tent-like pop-up. Here is a Fiat Doblo setup. Sleeping up top, full bath with shower on the tailgate and full kitchen with living room quarters in the van.

Fait Doblo camper.jpg

Or spend a few $$ and get a pop-up top for added space and sleeping. Start at the 1:20min mark. It's a sweet setup. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2-ylCtHvts
2012 Caravan pop-up topper.jpg

Another good linky ...

http://www.camper-van-fun.com/mini-camper.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
At the end of June I drove my 2007 Grand Caravan from Houston, TX to Glacier National Park in Montana to drive the Going to the Sun Road. I threw an Ikea single mattress in the back, a cooler, and my pitbull as copilot. 4049 miles in five days. Slept in the van at roadside rest stops or just secluded areas off the road every night except the last night spent in a hotel in Childress, TX.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,626 Posts
At the end of June I drove my 2007 Grand Caravan from Houston, TX to Glacier National Park in Montana to drive the Going to the Sun Road. I threw an Ikea single mattress in the back, a cooler, and my pitbull as copilot. 4049 miles in five days. Slept in the van at roadside rest stops or just secluded areas off the road every night except the last night spent in a hotel in Childress, TX.

View attachment 56168
It was wise, Childress, TX was the home of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. You don't want to sleep on the roadside.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was tired and so was my doggie. There isn't much out that way so I was surprised to see that the main drag had lots of gas stations, motels, and restaurants.

Do you think I need to do a tutorial on using duct tape to blackout the windows, or nah?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts