The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2019 Dodge Grand Caravan GT
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 DGC GT and I am looking at getting the ScanGauge II or III, are they worth the money? Is the III worth the extra $$$?

I am old school and I love gauges!!! The gauge pack in my van is nice but switching back and forth between the screens is getting old, and could be unsafe, and I would really like access to the trans temp gauge. I am sure there are other “gauges” available that are informative to watch or use diagnose with.

What are some of the “gauges” that you keep an eye on?

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
241 Posts
Yes, the III is amazing. I love mine.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the III is amazing. I love mine.

Thanks for the link. Did I see a gauge that shows what gear the trans is in?

Looks like I will have to get one soon.

· Registered
9 Posts
Scangauge 2: definitely not. It was awesome when it came out what, 20 years ago before smartphones were a thing. 3 sounds like it's worth it if you don't have/want to use your smartphone and a $20 bluetooth dongle with $5 torque pro app to do the same thing.

· Registered
2012 VW Routan
10 Posts
I have the Sacangauge 2 on both of my car and I love them! Praticale to follow alot of details and to erase check engine codes... I have also a smarthphoe ODB2 apllication with Bluethoot connexion. Cheap to buy on Amazon but you can not let it plug all the time because it will drain the 12V battery of the van. The Scangauge2 can be left plugged in at all times!

· Registered
12 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at the Torque App and it is not available for iphone, so that will not work for me. I did see one called Bluedriver but cannot find for sure if it will display trans temp for my van. Other than that it looks like a good product.

· Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,506 Posts
I looked at the Torque App and it is not available for iphone, so that will not work for me. I did see one called Bluedriver but cannot find for sure if it will display trans temp for my van. Other than that it looks like a good product.
Take a look at OBD Fusion, it works with the iphone and it will display transmission fluid temperature.

Reactions: 2019GTlife

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the more I look and think about this the more confusing it is and of course more questions I have.

I dug out the scanner I bought when I got my Cherokee about five years ago, it is an OBDlink SX. I have only used it a couple of times on the Cherokee so not a lot of experience.

I will try it with the DGC this coming weekend, it’s raining here and have a few bowl games to watch.

Some things that I have thought of,,,

The price for the SG3 is a bit high for a trans temp gauge. I probably already have something that will do the trouble code functions.

I do have some old android phones that I may be able to use with a Bluetooth OBD scanner. This is also an attractive option so that my current phone would be available do other things.

I will be looking at the OBDfusion and blue driver next.

Thanks for y’all’s comments.

Eric

· Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,506 Posts
Well the more I look and think about this the more confusing it is and of course more questions I have.

I dug out the scanner I bought when I got my Cherokee about five years ago, it is an OBDlink SX. I have only used it a couple of times on the Cherokee so not a lot of experience.

I will try it with the DGC this coming weekend, it’s raining here and have a few bowl games to watch.

Some things that I have thought of,,,

The price for the SG3 is a bit high for a trans temp gauge. I probably already have something that will do the trouble code functions.

I do have some old android phones that I may be able to use with a Bluetooth OBD scanner. This is also an attractive option so that my current phone would be available do other things.

I will be looking at the OBDfusion and blue driver next.

Thanks for y’all’s comments.

Eric
If you have an OBDLink SX, and a way to connect it to a cell phone, you can use it with the (free) OBDLink app to see if it works for what you need. The OBDLink app is identical to OBD Fusion except it only works with OBDLink brand adapters.

The only advantage I see with the Scan Gauge line is that they are stand alone units, which makes it easier to use if you always want to see the information.

Reactions: 2019GTlife

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have an OBDLink SX, and a way to connect it to a cell phone, you can use it with the (free) OBDLink app to see if it works for what you need. The OBDLink app is identical to OBD Fusion except it only works with OBDLink brand adapters.

The only advantage I see with the Scan Gauge line is that they are stand alone units, which makes it easier to use if you always want to see the information.
That is what I may do for the time being. Just need to get a usb to micro usb cord.

The SG3 may need to wait for a few months.

Eric

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I broke down and purchased the Scan Gauge III a couple weeks ago. I like it, the display is crisp and bright, and the unit appears to be well built. It comes with a windshield mount that is quite well made and is actually difficult to remove from the glass if you want to move it. I had a difficult time locating a good place to mount the SG, any place I really liked would not reach the windshield or the mount would be too much in my viewing area. I did find a location finally that will work for short duration use.

When I had the unit scan for X-Gauges it found three, Oil Temp, Trans oil temp, and one other that I cannot remember now. Apparently, there are not many "extra" sensors on these vans or there is not much support from SG for the vans.
With that said I am happy with the gauges I can see, and there are plenty of them to watch, I find the fuel trim gauges very interesting even though I don't really understand what it all means.

I doubt I will use the SG3 to track my fuel mileage mainly because I have other methods that work for me, plus they take up so many gauge locations. I doubt that I will use all of the many colors that it comes with unless I find a way to color the individual gauges in different colors.

I have found that there are two things that I have found that I do not like about the SG3. One, the cord only plugs into the back of the unit, but since they include the windshield mount they figure no one would want to flush mount it. Two, this is my big grip, the unit must be connected to the vehicle for power, which means to watch the tutorial you got to have the vehicle on, to configure the unit you have to have the vehicle on.

So to answer my original question, Yes I think the SG3 is worth the money.

Eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts