The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Van recently developed a noise. On hard right turns or on highway entrance ramps (big loops), there’s a scraping or slicing noise being made. Seems like it’s coming from the right side of the van. See videos linked below.

There is no noise while going straight, turning left (no matter the speed), or when turning right slowly. The noise is only present when making a hard right turn or on highway entrance ramps.

I noticed that I have to go around 20 miles an hour or faster and then turn to the right for the noise to appear. While braking the noise seems to go away (during the hard right turn) but that might just be because the vans speed drops. Again, the noise only happens above 20 mph or so.

I jacked up the van and took off the front wheels. I had someone replicate the conditions (20 mph or faster and turning the steering wheel to the right) but there was no noise.

I checked the cv intermediate shaft on the passenger side but that looked good. No damage and no abnormal noise that I could hear. Cv axles and wheel bearings not making any noise. Took apart the brakes, cleaned the hardware, reassembled but noise is still there. The backing plates are not rubbing against the rotors. The brake pads and possibly rotors were changed approx. 1 year ago according to the carfax. The pads are thick and the rotors don’t have a lip but they are slightly rusty along the edge.

I didn’t get a chance to check the rear brakes but the noise seems to be coming from the front right of the van.

Passenger side view of the noise:

Driver side view of the noise:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Van recently developed a noise. On hard right turns or on highway entrance ramps (big loops), there’s a scraping or slicing noise being made. Seems like it’s coming from the right side of the van. See videos linked below.

There is no noise while going straight, turning left (no matter the speed), or when turning right slowly. The noise is only present when making a hard right turn or on highway entrance ramps.

I noticed that I have to go around 20 miles an hour or faster and then turn to the right for the noise to appear. While braking the noise seems to go away (during the hard right turn) but that might just be because the vans speed drops. Again, the noise only happens above 20 mph or so.

I jacked up the van and took off the front wheels. I had someone replicate the conditions (20 mph or faster and turning the steering wheel to the right) but there was no noise.

I checked the cv intermediate shaft on the passenger side but that looked good. No damage and no abnormal noise that I could hear. Cv axles and wheel bearings not making any noise. Took apart the brakes, cleaned the hardware, reassembled but noise is still there. The backing plates are not rubbing against the rotors. The brake pads and possibly rotors were changed approx. 1 year ago according to the carfax. The pads are thick and the rotors don’t have a lip but they are slightly rusty along the edge.

I didn’t get a chance to check the rear brakes but the noise seems to be coming from the front right of the van.

Passenger side view of the noise:

Driver side view of the noise:
My 2017 dodge grand caravan is currently making this exact noise but on the front left side. Mechanic has looked at it twice and can't figure out. He's a neighbour and hesitant to fix anything not obviously broken. Brakes checked and good, nothing rubbing on rotors, no signs of wheel play and doesn't make the noise while lifted with wheels spinning and turned to the left. Same as you, only hard turns above 20km/hr and when curving off/on ramps to highway. Please post if you figure out the problem. Mine is being checked again this week.

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 2017 dodge grand caravan is currently making this exact noise but on the front left side. Mechanic has looked at it twice and can't figure out. He's a neighbour and hesitant to fix anything not obviously broken. Brakes checked and good, nothing rubbing on rotors, no signs of wheel play and doesn't make the noise while lifted with wheels spinning and turned to the left. Same as you, only hard turns above 20km/hr and when curving off/on ramps to highway. Please post if you figure out the problem. Mine is being checked again this week.
I will definitely give an update if or when I find out the problem.

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a chance to check out the rear brakes. The lower driver side caliper slide pin was pretty stuck. Fixed that and cleaned up the hardware. The hardware was really crusty. I thought the slide pin was the noise but it was not.

I can’t exactly tell where the noise is coming from in the front but it sounds like the right side.

I’ll probably check out the front end again in a day or two, might rain tomorrow and I’m working outside. I really think it’s the brakes and not the wheel bearings. Generally if you can hear a wheel bearing, you’ll be able to feel the roughness when your hand is on it.

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 4.0
1,040 Posts
Probably one of the wheel bearings. In our previous '09 GC, we had them go out one at a time in the front. You couldn't tell by spinning the wheel in the air, but it let us know when driving by the noise it was making.

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I was reading through some posts on this forum and it seems that wheel bearings can make noise but still be tight by the shake test.

Probably one of the wheel bearings. In our previous '09 GC, we had them go out one at a time in the front. You couldn't tell by spinning the wheel in the air, but it let us know when driving by the noise it was making.
Westphal, I have a memory of reading a post of yours saying that you don’t recommend moog wheel bearings. Am I mistaken? I might just be getting things mixed up. I’m thinking to buy moog 515150 front wheel bearings from Amazon. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a chance to check out the rear brakes. The lower driver side caliper slide pin was pretty stuck. Fixed that and cleaned up the hardware. The hardware was really crusty. I thought the slide pin was the noise but it was not.

I can’t exactly tell where the noise is coming from in the front but it sounds like the right side.

I’ll probably check out the front end again in a day or two, might rain tomorrow and I’m working outside. I really think it’s the brakes and not the wheel bearings. Generally if you can hear a wheel bearing, you’ll be able to feel the roughness when your hand is on it.
1st time we looked at it my front calipers were sticking but brake pads near new condition. He was sure it was the cause of noise, but after cleaning/rebuilding though braking felt way better the noise was still there.

And yes he also said wheel bearing could be cause but not broken enough for wheel play. So current plan is to keep driving and check it weekly.

To me, it seems related to speed the wheel is spinning because it's MUCH louder and faster pace at 60 going around bend on/off highway but also echoes off the barrier. Kind of sounds more like underneath than outside. At slow speeds almost inaudible from passenger side with window open but I can definitely hear it on driver side. And I can't hear it at all from inside with windows up. I think we're going to go ahead and replace the bearing this weekend so I will post if the sound goes away after that. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
1st time we looked at it my front calipers were sticking but brake pads near new condition. He was sure it was the cause of noise, but after cleaning/rebuilding though braking felt way better the noise was still there.

And yes he also said wheel bearing could be cause but not broken enough for wheel play. So current plan is to keep driving and check it weekly.

To me, it seems related to speed the wheel is spinning because it's MUCH louder and faster pace at 60 going around bend on/off highway but also echoes off the barrier. Kind of sounds more like underneath than outside. At slow speeds almost inaudible from passenger side with window open but I can definitely hear it on driver side. And I can't hear it at all from inside with windows up. I think we're going to go ahead and replace the bearing this weekend so I will post if the sound goes away after that. Good luck!
Meant to ask if you're noticing any vibrations in steering wheel when driving on smooth pavement/highway speed? I'm due for new tires so maybe it's from that.

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 4.0
1,040 Posts
Well I was reading through some posts on this forum and it seems that wheel bearings can make noise but still be tight by the shake test.

Westphal, I have a memory of reading a post of yours saying that you don’t recommend moog wheel bearings. Am I mistaken? I might just be getting things mixed up. I’m thinking to buy moog 515150 front wheel bearings from Amazon. Thanks
I don't remember what brand I used, but I've had success with Moog brand parts in the past on other cars.

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meant to ask if you're noticing any vibrations in steering wheel when driving on smooth pavement/highway speed? I'm due for new tires so maybe it's from that.
I’m not really noticing any major vibrations at highway speeds. Maybe a very slight vibration at highway speeds (but I am super sensitive to these things, others might not notice).

Also in your other post you mentioned that the noise is much louder and faster with higher speeds. Sounds like a wheel bearing. Usually wheel bearings noises change with speed. My 2008 town and country made a wheel bearing noise only at highway speeds.

Worn out tires can cause vibrations but it’s not always the case. Regardless, changing out the tires is a good idea, winter is coming up.

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I think I’ve found out what’s making the noise. Yesterday, I took apart the rear brakes to inspect them and clean them up. Luckily, I spun the wheel bearings around just for fun. Well, they’re making noise. Both sides.

I took a video of the rear wheel bearing noise yesterday and I have attached a link to it below, incase you’re interested.

Time to order rear wheel bearings and see how much fighting I have to do to get them out.

The rear wheel bearings are super rusty but the rest of the van is clean. Maybe the car was regularly undercoated but the wheel bearings were missed. They hide behind (or infront, depends how you look at it) of the brake dust shields.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I think I’ve found out what’s making the noise. Yesterday, I took apart the rear brakes to inspect them and clean them up. Luckily, I spun the wheel bearings around just for fun. Well, they’re making noise. Both sides.

I took a video of the rear wheel bearing noise yesterday and I have attached a link to it below, incase you’re interested.

Time to order rear wheel bearings and see how much fighting I have to do to get them out.

The rear wheel bearings are super rusty but the rest of the van is clean. Maybe the car was regularly undercoated but the wheel bearings were missed. They hide behind (or infront, depends how you look at it) of the brake dust shields.
Cool, thanks for sharing. I've mentioned to my mechanic so we're going to check the rears. Coincidentally, my son was riding in the back row today and said he could hear a scraping noise when the windows were up so very possible it's been coming from the back the whole time and echoing underneath.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Parts arrived last night. Just finished the installation and went for a test drive. No more noise under the same conditions :)

One odd thing I noticed is that when spinning the the passenger side rear wheel bearing (RWB) by hand, it would make that rattling sound (in the video) ONLY when it was bolted in. It could still be attached to the knuckle but if the bolts were removed, it wouldn’t make any noise. Only made noise once bolts were tight. Very odd.

I was perplexed but decided to put the new one on and tighten the bolts. No noise. The driver side RWB didn’t make any noise but I still changed it. The new ones are much tighter.

As rusty as the wheel bearings look, they came out with only a few hits from a 2LB hammer. Make sure to clean up the knuckles really well and use anti seize when reassembling. The passenger side requires a heat shield to be loosened to get the abs connector through. Two 8MM bolts, remove one of them and loosen the other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts