The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Grand Caravan SXT. It has a squeal or chirp at idle. It started to do it only once in a while, but now it is happening more and more. It seems worse with the A/C on and can be alleviated with the A/C off or by accelerating. Of course this does not mean it is the A/C clutch pulley for sure.

Tensioner, water pump and idler pulley are all new this year. How do I find or isolate which one of the remaining pulleys or components it is without blindly replacing them? My next step is to replace the belt since it is cheap, but even the belt is only 18 months old. Ideas? TIA!

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I would put a Goodyear Gatorback on it. You may have to order it online, but that is what I put on my former '06 SXT at about 25,000 mi. The factory belt had slipped when wet since new. The Gatorback never slipped.
Just do a web search for a Gatorback for your year of van and a store will pop up. They are worth any extra paid. It was the only way to stop squealing on my former '95 Concorde. There is probably not another product that I swear by like this.

·
Registered
723 Posts
06 grand caravan--i have a small chirp in morning before 11 a.m

I isolated it--i got a straw and small can of 3 and 1 oil or blaster, or liquid wrench--i touched the end of the straw behind the idler pulley and dripped 2 drops or 3 drops behind it and the noise stops--first run engine and listen for sound to ensure the sound is there that day--turn off engine--touch end of straw behind pulley as close as possible to center of it--and drop the hole in the straw--turn engine on and see if it goes away--sound on idler pulley went away--i confirmed it different mornings--saw the pulley today, steel, that have polymers--price for steel was 14.88.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
06 grand caravan--i have a small chirp in morning before 11 a.m

I isolated it--i got a straw and small can of 3 and 1 oil or blaster, or liquid wrench--i touched the end of the straw behind the idler pulley and dripped 2 drops or 3 drops behind it and the noise stops--first run engine and listen for sound to ensure the sound is there that day--turn off engine--touch end of straw behind pulley as close as possible to center of it--and drop the hole in the straw--turn engine on and see if it goes away--sound on idler pulley went away--i confirmed it different mornings--saw the pulley today, steel, that have polymers--price for steel was 14.88.
Your idler pulley is new you say in your first post. There are a lot of remedies on here about belt noises. If you replaced your belt 18 months ago and you say they are cheap then that might be your problem. I would guess to say you have a Dayco belt on there, they are famous for noise.
You should try the Gatorback by goodyear. Mine is the AC Delco that runs much quieter than the Dayco. Next time I will try the Gatorback.

·
Registered
723 Posts
So are you sure its the belt? Isolating pulleys won't cost a dime as long as you have straw and a bit of blaster/wd2/or drip of oil

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try the pulley isolation/lube thing while I wait for the belt to come in. I will let you know the results.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sound goes away for a while if you sneeze on it. I did all the lube tests on parts. I listened through screw drivers. I replaced everything on the front. But it's always just the belt. Just replace the belt. The one I have now has stayed quiet a long time. Maybe I have a leak somewhere that keeps it quiet. Maybe the goodyear isn't noisy. Good luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just drove down to Myrtle Beach from Ontario Canada with a buddy and his 05 Caravan has a chirping sound. I think it is the idler pulley. It gets louder when you accelerate. He wants to know if the pulley will last until he gets back to Canada (1500km) or if he should let a local dealer in Myrtle change it. I do not know what they charge down here for such repairs- anyone have any ideas what this would cost?

Thanks,
Gino

1 - 13 of 13 Posts