The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was checking the oil on Tilikum, my 2005 white GC, (3.3. Original engine and trans. 256,000 and climbing) looked over at the transmission, and saw something quite odd: The plastic end of the shift selector cable, which attaches to the lever on the trans was perched at an odd angle, though still attached. I reached over to straighten it out and, much to my surprise, it just lifted off of the trans lever. Obviously, there should have been some sort of fastener that held the two together, but it seems that this fastener decided that 'enough was enough' and jumped ship. Does anyone know what kind of fastener is used to keep the selector cable end attached to the transmission? I reattached it with one of those metal push-on caps that are used to hold, for example, the wheels onto the axles of, say, BBQ grills, and if that's all that there is to it, then I'm OK. BUT....I have to think that, for automotive use, there has to be something more robust. Any help, please?

DW

·
Registered
103 Posts
The end of the shift cable is held onto the lever with a small grommet that fits in the plastic cable end and snaps onto the stud on the lever. I don't know for sure but this grommet is probably not available separately but likely serviced with the shift cable. If your clip is holding well and there is not too much slop due to the missing bushing then you might be well enough to leave it as is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, yeah...half the grommet was remaining, and it looked pretty dicey, to say the least. And so far, my BBQ fix seems to be doing the job quite well, thank you. So, I think I'll just not mess with it any further, and check it periodically.

Oh, and to correct the record, Tilikum has 286,000 on her old bones. I just cannot give her up.

DW

1 - 3 of 3 Posts