The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all--

The ol' DGC is not reliably shifting into Park and I need help in figuring out how to fix it (and how to keep the cost down). It takes multiple tries to get it to engage. The other gear selections work fine.

I had the transmission replaced several years ago and what I noticed then was that it wouldn't shift reliably into Park, either. I took it back to them and they fixed it. What I failed to check for was that it wouldn't shift into Low

I had the transmission recently replaced (a few months ago) and found it wouldn't shift into Low still. I told the manager the problem and now it won't reliably shift into Park. He told me the pawl is not properly engaging and there's nothing he can do about it. :blink:

With a new teenage driver learning on this vehicle, this is becoming quite a problem. How can I fix this?

I did a search and found one other thread mentioning this:
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/12812-Won-t-go-in-quot-Park-quot-!?highlight=shift+pawl+park

Thanks for any advice on this topic.

* ijhutch *

·
3rd gen > all others
3,021 Posts
Sounds like the shift cable isn't adjusted properly. Low is one extreme of the range of shifter travel, with Park as the other extreme. When you give on one side, it takes on the other. Needs a little fine-tuning I guess. Then there's always wheel chocks for parking! :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They claim that they have adjusted the shift cable as best possible and that the problem is with the pawl. Is the shift cable something that I can tweak myself fairly easily?

Otherwise, anyone else have any input on the pawl engaging and how to fix it?

* ijhutch *

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Mine had issues getting into park from teh cable being stretched out as the drivers side mount sheared all 3 bolts off (not sure how that happens) and the trans was hanging low pulling on stuff. But I doubt that is what you have as mine is a once in a lifetime failure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently replaced the shift cable on my '96 DGC, its REALLY easy. I got one from the junk yard, so it was only like 30 bucks, but they cost 60-70, new.

If you want to adjust the one you have, that's pretty easy too. Both ends (shift lever and trans) have adjustable plastic collars, that adjust by loosening the nut, and sliding them towards or away from the rest of the shift cable. Its incredibly intuitive, and easy to see the adjustment taking place, if you do it correctly.

Getting to the 2 heads is fairly simple, just remove the plastic cover on the steering column, for the shift lever end. For the trans. end, you'll need to remove the "air intake assembly" its the black plastic box that says "air filter below" or something. Give that a shot.

If it doesn't work, go to the junk yard, pull one off one of any of the 50 Godbillion Dodge, Chrystler, or Plymouth vans that will certainly be there, and use it instead. Easy, Cheap, and have your kid help you, if they're driving, they probably need to know what makes the car shift properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts