The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am interested in shipping my car to other state, so I'm interested in what should I know before shipping?

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,814 Posts
Wow, that is a hot topic on some of the exotic-car forums I monitor. Here is an informative article from Rob Siegel about some of the 'ins' and 'outs'.

Some things to consider:

• Height of the van. Some multi-layered carriers can't fit a van on the lower tiers.

• Urgency. Often, carriers will attempt to consolidate shipments. They will hold a vehicle until more 'passengers' sign on. If you are not on a timetable that can save you money. But it can also add weeks to delivery time.

• Broker VS direct contract. A broker can take some of your time out of the arraignments. They usually have ties to several transporters and they are experienced. You will pay for the convenience and experience of course. Otherwise you would need to contact several transporters yourself and weigh the costs, etc.
Then there are other preferences you may have, such as covered transport or not...and whether you currently have title to the van.

Post back with your findings..

·
Super Moderator
23,312 Posts
Do you have AAA? Interesting to know what some of those tow companies, doing work for AAA, would charge. One such company here, transports a vehicle on a flat bed for some 150 miles, or more, to Dealerships for repairs under Roadside Assistance. I'm thinking Landrover made vehicles where Dealerships are few and far between.

Then there's "by rail" to consider.

Haulers will give you a quote, and educate you on the process, but may delay trip to make up a load.

Won't hurt to contact your Insurance Company re any additional insurance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try using a shipping company like A1A or Ship Vehicle. You will get a free online quote usually. I've used them in the past and it was not that terrible. I preferred ship vehicle more though (I'll leave their info below). The fact why I liked them was because they were cheaper (not by much but it was a big plus in my book) and the staff in general was a lot nicer. The contacted me almost right away as I placed a request and they were very very nice and understanding and very accommodating In general I was really happy with them. So if you need a good shipping company try them

____
You can check them here: shipvehicles.com

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,053 Posts
Hi
I am interested in shipping my car to other state, so I'm interested in what should I know before shipping?

WELCOME

You are not asking for advice on shipping companies but on what you need to know.

What you should know is, there are some thieves who will remove parts if they think receiving party just blindly bought the vehicle.

Make sure you let them know this is your car and you'll be at destination to receive it (even if not).

Take pictures in front of driver, including engine compartment.

Good luck.

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,814 Posts
The shipping topic came up AGAIN on one of my other forums.

Good, concise answer from someone experienced in the auto shipping process, so I'm pasting it here.

I have had 4 cars shipped in the recent past. I have not been happy with the price and delivery schedule every time. The actual delivery of the vehicle has gone well every time.

These is a rigged system of "Shipping Brokers" all across the USA that try to get your business, They provide very little actual value but take a large cut of the total shipping costs. Often after you get suckered into using one, they give you a price, then a week later call and state they can't find a driver/carrier at that price and then try to charge you a couple hundred dollars more.

Things I've found out.
1. If you live in a large metropolitan area and the vehicle is shipped from a large metro area, you get the best price and quickest delivery.
2. Farther away you are from a major city for pick-up and delivery, the price goes up really fast.
3 The best prices are given when they have less business. (Busy times are early spring, May/June when schools is out, and in the fall before winter hits.)
4. When you use "U-ship" or any other major vehicle transport broker, Your shipping requirement goes into a large national database of potential business. You will get phone calls, text messages and E-mails for months, even after you have already shipped and received the vehicle.
5. They all claim they are the best shipping company, when in fact, they are a broker after a commission to be the intermediary between you and the actual shipper.
6. The actual car carriers/drivers that get hired end up listing the cities they will be visiting across the country and approximate dates. (They are hungry to fill their trucks with cars and the only way to do it efficiently is to use the national registry database.)
7. The brokers give you an estimate for the transport and tack on their $150 to $200 cut. (I haven't found a way around this yet. )
8. Once you agree to the price and terms, the carrier will call and arrange the actual pickup and delivery date.
9. The brokers will try to give you a fixed price that is as high as they think they can charge, and then negotiate the lowest price they can from the transporter. (They keep the delta.)
10. 90% of the time the car has to be drivable. They move the cars on and off the transport trailer for weight balance and to match the delivery schedule.
11. The deposit you give is usually the broker's cut. Once they hook you up with the driver, it is up to you to pay the rest to the driver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts