The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello - apologies if this has been posted a million times and will delete if another thread exists.

I have a 2013 T&C with 66k. Runs and drives great. Brake fluid is as black as your hat and is original factory fill. Was thinking about flushing it to the nipples, but I believe it's a lifetime fluid. Is it worth the bother? I have a Nissan Altima 2016 with 34k on it and I got it flushed at the dealer today as was recommended in Nissan service schedule. Any idea why Chrysler believe they can recommend not changing it in the vehicles?

Thanks folks.
I recall that silicon (DOT 5) brake fluid can be let in for long periods. See this article for the reasons why. (Yes I know, this is not a MGB). Conventional vs Silicone Brake Fluid

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,559 Posts
I recall that silicon (DOT 5) brake fluid can be let in for long periods. See this article for the reasons why. (Yes I know, this is not a MGB). Conventional vs Silicone Brake Fluid

No, with DOT 5 you need to change fluid more often, especially on cold weather.

DOT 5 doesn't absorb water, so water collects on different places causing rust damage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
We had some snow and rain ice today and the ABS came on briefly a little earlier. For the first time ever, I heard the ABS pump going and I don't ever remember hearing it in the past. It was quite loud and there was some vibration right under my feet. The ABS worked fine when it cut in, as does standard braking. I'm wondering if I have goofed something up with the fluid change - or am I just being polaroid? ( old joke )

·
Super Moderator
22,869 Posts
We had some snow and rain ice today and the ABS came on briefly a little earlier. For the first time ever, I heard the ABS pump going and I don't ever remember hearing it in the past. It was quite loud and there was some vibration right under my feet. The ABS worked fine when it cut in, as does standard braking. I'm wondering if I have goofed something up with the fluid change - or am I just being polaroid? ( old joke )
If it was slippery, ABS should engage if a wheel wants to slip. Were you going down hill and applying the brakes on a slippery surface? If your tires are worn, the ABS will engage more often.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
no tires are good, I braked on steep curve coming out of our local Lowes that they built on a mountain like a castle ! ABS activated for maybe 3 or 4 seconds, but seemed very loud and obvious. Is this normal Jeepman? Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
22,869 Posts
When it activates, you will know it. Yes, it can be noisy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To manufacturers, maintenance requirements end when the warranty period is up. So, it's up to owners who want to keep their vehicles a long time to learn about and do these things.

And beware when a mechanic, or the service rep, says you've got a leak of brake or other fluids. It just might be air conditioner condensate they are mistaking for a leak. Ask to have a look and touch it (with blue nitrile gloves on, of course) and then smell it on your fingers.

·
Super Moderator
22,869 Posts
To manufacturers, maintenance requirements end when the warranty period is up. So, it's up to owners who want to keep their vehicles a long time to learn about and do these things.

And beware when a mechanic, or the service rep, says you've got a leak of brake or other fluids. It just might be air conditioner condensate they are mistaking for a leak. Ask to have a look and touch it (with blue nitrile gloves on, of course) and then smell it on your fingers.
Naw, use your bare hands to determine if it's slippery like oil or not so, like water.

Speaking of using nitrile gloves, I have lots but find they get in the way, so I don't use them.. Then again, having Chrysler vehicles, I don't need to work on them often. :)

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,559 Posts
Naw, use your bare hands to determine if it's slippery like oil or not so, like water.

Speaking of using nitrile gloves, I have lots but find they get in the way, so I don't use them.. Then again, having Chrysler vehicles, I don't need to work on them often. :)
+1

And who would mistake AC condensate for anything else?

Only two places you get AC condensate, so don't even a need to touch it.

·
Super Moderator
22,869 Posts
+1

And who would mistake AC condensate for anything else?

Only two places you get AC condensate, so don't even a need to touch it.
If the birds are drinking it, then it's okay. Just have to wait for a couple of crows to meander by. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,869 Posts
And, if dogs are drinking it, it might be coolant. :oops:
There's "bitters" in it.
Antifreeze and engine coolant manufactured in the United States will now contain a bitter flavoring agent to prevent animals and children from being poisoned by the sweet-tasting liquid. ... The release claims that one teaspoon of antifreeze or engine coolant can kill an average-sized cat

61 - 75 of 75 Posts