The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Town & Country Touring. 171k and counting. Slowly upgrading to a Limited trim.
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm officially stumped. (2012 Town and country without push to start or the passive entry system)
Last week after installing the infinity premium sound system, my key fob stopped be able to open either of the sliding doors or the lift gate. The driver and passenger door locks work, but the performance on those seems reduced (i have to get closer than normal, or I have to hit the button a couple of times), I have verified that all the doors and windows work with the mechanical switches in the van so I know its not wiring.
I've checked the fob and cleaned the contacts under the buttons, verified the battery is doing its job right (its also less than a year old), and checked for vehicle faults using Appcar Diagfaq. No active or stored faults there either.
I suspect I dislodge an antennae or something under the dash when I was running speaker wires, I can't seem to find any info on what the Key Fob talks too if you don't have the VTSS ( I visually verified that I do not have one, or at least it is not where the diagrams say it should be.) so I am just looking for things out of place and shooting in the dark.
I'm at a loss as what to look for next.
also, I really hope the fix doesn't involve me upside down poking wires under the dash for hours. That was fine when I was 30, but at 50 its a huge pain, literally.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 Town & Country Touring. 171k and counting. Slowly upgrading to a Limited trim.
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: Its fixed now. Got two new key fobs an everything is fine.
I suspect that after 10 years the original fob developed a crack on the circuit board or some such.

In case anyone else runs into this, this is what I did
Verified that all the switches inside the van worked, and the battery in the fob was good.
Checked for an faults on in the vans systems, none.
Replaced the fobs. Two 7 button fobs of amazon for $25. transferred the new board and cover to the old mopar case.
Programmed keys with Appcar-diagfca in 10 minutes.
and saved myself $90 at the dealership.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts