The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was one of those morning frost announcing that snow should be here soon.....

0 degree Celsius very humid and all the windows frosted and the sliding door that will not open.

How frustrating is that, I need to get my 4 year old enter the van from the gate and do the same with the car seat of my 2 months old cause both sliding doors would not budge at all.

10 minutes after I left home, the doors thawed and they were kept closed only with the security lock, so I had to stop get out and re-close both doors.

Anyone else experiencing that kind of problem? I know I will need to add that to the list of things to check on my next trip to the dealer but I'd like to know if it's a common problem. I'm trying to build a case of all the things that went and are going wrong with my van and meet with the service manager whenever I get to fed up!!

It was doing in jan 09 when I got the van swell when it was not in the shelter but then came spring and forgot to mention it to the dealer

Thanks for your usual help!!

Pascal

·
I DON'T live in an Igloo!
947 Posts
Maybe the seals need to be lubed up (white grease?) Also, try remote starting it before getting in to warm the interior?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I got that problem last winter. If your problem it's just a frozen rubber seal, simply apply on it silicone spray or (it is from my expirience) clear shoes paste.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll try some Jig-A-Loo on the rubber seal.

It's not a major problem, but so frustrating that it's one annoyance after the other....;-(

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Yep another vote to use silicone or white grease on the rubber seals. My sliding doors freeze up all the time in the winter. Sometimes even the front doors. I have to climb in the rear and use my whole body weight to get them opened. Greasing them fixes this problem right away.

·
Registered
790 Posts
White grease is not good idea, you just got your closes dirty. The best choise is clear shoes polish IMHO.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Tried Vaseline, it makes a mess.
Used WD40 with some success, spayed heavily on a rag and wiped onto the seals.
Black shoe polish might work if you don't get it on your clothes while getting in and out. With my luck I would and then transfer it to my beige sofa.:jpshakehe
When it dips to freezing I go out with a jug of warm water, not hot. Just pour a little around the door seals and presto your in. I even use tepid water on the windshield pouring it on slowly and I have never had a problem. Gets you on the road fast. No hot water unless you want to break something. As for my door locks, a good shot of WD40 before a freeze works well. Heating the key also works but I keep a bottle of lock deicer by the door just in case.:thumb:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Clear silicone spray is the best for the door gaskets. It soaks into the rubber and will not get on your clothes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, the Jig-A-Loo I tried yesterday is a Silicone spray. It's very safe and doesn't stain at all. This morning the doors opened fine, I'll have to wait a couple of days to see if it's really fixed.

Anyways I find it weird cause here in Québec(Ca) the temperature ranges between -10 to -35 Celsius in the winter with humidity and other than after going to the car wash, I have never heard of doors getting stuck like this in the morning.

·
947 Posts
My doors have never gotten stuck. The temperatures go down to -45 to -50, in the coldest part of winter.... :(

·
947 Posts
A quick comparaison between Fort McMurray, AB and Montreal, QC for relative humidity shows that I am sitting at 93% @ 0C and Montreal is at 44% @ 3C. So quite a big difference.

Yes, obviously in general there is lower humidity out here....but it is not always the case.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
My doors have never gotten stuck. The temperatures go down to -45 to -50, in the coldest part of winter.... :(
Try going through a car wash in freezing temps and you will be singing a different song. Your doors don't get stuck or frozen because of the low humidity level. I spent 20 years in Calgary, I know. Other places will rain in the day and freeze at night like here on the west coast,:cry: but for the most part its golf year round.:)

·
947 Posts
Try going through a car wash in freezing temps and you will be singing a different song. Your doors don't get stuck or frozen because of the low humidity level. I spent 20 years in Calgary, I know. Other places will rain in the day and freeze at night like here on the west coast,:cry: but for the most part its golf year round.:)
Well yea:bcyclop:. Obviously if it's -20, 30 or 40 I ain't getting my van washed...unless it stays in a warm garage overnight...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well you can go in a car wash while it's -5 during the day and sunny but the temperature can drop to -25 during the night and there you go your doors are frozen in the morning if it wasn't dried out properly, and this time I would have only myself to kick in the b*** for being stupid.

So from what I understand there is or was something wrong with my doors, maybe it has been sitting for so long after being built (from nov 07 to jan 09) in the lot and in the showroom that the seals dried out a little or something like that.

If that's the case I wonder if other problems can be related to the fact that I bought a new car that was built 1y 2 moths before.....

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Well yea:bcyclop:. Obviously if it's -20, 30 or 40 I ain't getting my van washed...unless it stays in a warm garage overnight...
Maybe not you, but I have sat outside the rocket car wash in freezing weather watching the cars go through.:lol:

·
947 Posts
Maybe not you, but I have sat outside the rocket car wash in freezing weather watching the cars go through.:lol:
Then they wonder why in the heck the doors are jammed, the wipers are like 2 x 4's and the tires are flatspotted to the pavement.

LOL!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts