The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angry: About 2-3 months ago the passenger side sliding door starting squeeking and moaning really bad. At first, if I just shut it hard the noise would stop but now it's all the time. It's not just squeeking from rough roads but also from movements in the body. It sounds almost like the whole damn body is flexing right at the sliding door. Even accelerating from a stop the door makes a flexing sound. The driver's side slider is silent.

Before I take it to the dealer, is this a common issue that can be fixed easily? It's really annoying the **** out of me!

Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
217 Posts
Had a similar deal with our drivers side slider that worked into a click when braking. I wraped the door pins with a black electrical tape( about 2 wraps around just enough). It seems that the lock paws in the doors ever so slightly rub thus causing the squeak. Try it, if it soesn't solve it then it is something else. It's recommended to grease them but with kids in and out---yeah right! The strike pins can be adjusted, but before I did that I want to be assured for a while that that is the problem. They really should put a light rubberized coating on them. I thought about removing them and using that Plasti-Dip for just a light coating.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had a similar deal with our drivers side slider that worked into a click when braking. I wraped the door pins with a black electrical tape( about 2 wraps around just enough). It seems that the lock paws in the doors ever so slightly rub thus causing the squeak. Try it, if it soesn't solve it then it is something else. It's recommended to grease them but with kids in and out---yeah right! The strike pins can be adjusted, but before I did that I want to be assured for a while that that is the problem. They really should put a light rubberized coating on them. I thought about removing them and using that Plasti-Dip for just a light coating.
I will give that a shot! Thanks. I figured it's an adjustment or something since it just started doing it out of the blue.

·
Registered
727 Posts
:angry: About 2-3 months ago the passenger side sliding door starting squeeking and moaning really bad. At first, if I just shut it hard the noise would stop but now it's all the time. It's not just squeeking from rough roads but also from movements in the body. It sounds almost like the whole damn body is flexing right at the sliding door. Even accelerating from a stop the door makes a flexing sound. The driver's side slider is silent.

Before I take it to the dealer, is this a common issue that can be fixed easily? It's really annoying the **** out of me!

Thanks!
Steve
I also had success with what sounds like the same type of squeaking by spraying some lithium grease on the channels/rollers that the door slides on. I believe mine was caused by the rollers vibrating against the channel when it was closed. You could give that a shot.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, tracks, hinges and latches are lubed and I put some black tape on the metal door loops.

We'll see what happens! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, I tried different fixes one at a time. First I lubricated all the hinges, latches etc. Result: Slightly quieter but didn't fix the problem.

Second, put the wrapped the door latch loop with black electrical tape. Result: reduced the noise almost totally. Still makes the noise when the body is flexing but not when driving down the road like before.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
I think it's great that folks have found a way to deal with the problem on an individual basis, but to be frank- you shouldn't have the problem to BEGIN with. AND you shouldn't be expected to waste your time and money trying to fabricate a Home-Depot solution to a problem you shouldn't have to begin with.

You paid GOOD money for that vehicle, and deserve to get what you paid for. I'd take it back and make some noise.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with you. I do plan to take it to the dealership. I'm building a small list of items to be looked at all at the same time. I just received a recall notice in the mail so that will be added to the list.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I totally agree with taking it back to the dealer. I did 2 or 3 times, and they said they couldn't duplicate it the second and third time. The first time they thought they got it, parking brake cable TSB (install a cable tie). The only problem (not really a problem) for me is our VW Routan is a re-branded DGC/T&C, and the dealers have minimal experience with these vans. There are days where I wish I could just roll into my local Dodge or Chrysler dealer for warranty service where I know they service these things on a daily basis and know how most issues can be resolved. The dealer we got ours from doesn't have their own bodyshop, so for me thats a double trip (once to the dealer and then to the bodyshop around the corner 10 minutes). I'll probably just end up adjusting it myself.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I totally agree with taking it back to the dealer. I did 2 or 3 times, and they said they couldn't duplicate it the second and third time. The first time they thought they got it, parking brake cable TSB (install a cable tie). The only problem (not really a problem) for me is our VW Routan is a re-branded DGC/T&C, and the dealers have minimal experience with these vans. There are days where I wish I could just roll into my local Dodge or Chrysler dealer for warranty service where I know they service these things on a daily basis and know how most issues can be resolved. The dealer we got ours from doesn't have their own bodyshop, so for me thats a double trip (once to the dealer and then to the bodyshop around the corner 10 minutes). I'll probably just end up adjusting it myself.
We looked at the Routan when buying our van and I really liked the styling but being a re-branded Dodge did concern me. When we lived in Omaha it wouldn't have been a problem since the Dodge/Chrysler dealer was close to a VW dealer. Now we moved to eastern Iowa and I don't even think there is a VW dealer here (I haven't seen one anyway) so I would have to deal with the same thing you are.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a 2017 caravan, and the sliding door are driving us crazy with the creeks. We have put 14,000km on it and had it at the dealer twice for the creeks. Its worse when driving, accelerating especially. Dealer lubed it first time and now told us that the creek we hear is the baby shade on the window rattling...like im stupid... its not the shade, its the door. Will be trying the electrical tape fix myself and will see if that does the job!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I got a 2017 caravan, and the sliding door are driving us crazy with the creeks. We have put 14,000km on it and had it at the dealer twice for the creeks. Its worse when driving, accelerating especially. Dealer lubed it first time and now told us that the creek we hear is the baby shade on the window rattling...like im stupid... its not the shade, its the door. Will be trying the electrical tape fix myself and will see if that does the job!
On my 2014 T&C the passenger door last year was making some rattle noise. First tried black electrical tape. That worked for a short while. Then I hit the striker plate with a 2 pound hammer in toward the body. No rattle. Danny

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
dannyquest
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing