The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, sorry to have taken so long to get back with the battery losing charge issue. I went under the car to see why I have a slow leak of coolant, maybe a qt. every 1500 miles or so. I have been looking, but today I noticed it appears it is coming out of the radiator drain valve. Has anyone had a leaking valve? It does not appear to be horizontal, the drain spigot, that is, it is just a little below level where it appears you would put a big screwdriver to loosen it.
Here is my main question, does the drain valve OPEN turning CCW or CW. Afraid to go either way without knowing. I know old Chrysler radiator petcocks were reverse thread (as were the old Valiant wheel bolts on the passenger side, weird, huh. Snapped a couple before I found out they weren't stuck, but I was 19 and thought everything just needed a bigger hammer or torque arm to work). But am unsure and the manual I have does not say, just "drain the radiator" brilliant.
Any way, while looking for this leak, I noticed right next to the drain valve, the wire harness running along the front rail behind the radiator with a bundle of wires wrapped in blue tape, it appears a squirrel (which we have aplenty in GA) has been chewing on the wire a little and has exposed some copper of what appears to be a purple or wt/pur wire. Could be more, but I am going down now to untape and fix those wires and kill a pile of squirrels. This maybe the current loss issue too, will have to see. It would be an easy fix if so. I have just been taking off the + cable whenever I am finished using it, I use it only occasionally.
But could someone tell me about the CCW or CC turning of the red valve stem?
Thanks a million.
Terry

·
5000 Club
5,722 Posts
Can't help with the drain except to say it's probably got an o ring you can replace once removed as on earlier vans. As for this: " I have just been taking off the + cable whenever I am finished using it, I use it only occasionally.", this may keep you from having a bad day some day: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair-questions/4213127

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMG_1008.JPG IMG_1017.JPG IMG_1019.JPG IMG_1020.JPG
Appreciate the warning, well aware, welded my watch to the pos. alternator post once, nasty burn and I slung that thing into the next county.
I trimmed back the tape and soldered and painted with Liquid Tape, then wrapped individually and collectively all the wires. I left the Positive terminal attached tonight. I think this was my electrical leak. See the RED knob above the wires, that is the drain valve, which appeared to be so slightly open. it would leak small amounts which ran down onto the wires and saturated the harness there where the squirrels had chewed several wires insulation, none in half. But it appears quite likely that when you drove a lot (and leaked a lot) it would create a slow leak of current, when it dried it stopped. Will let you know if it fixes the problem. Will go under tomorrow and see if the squirrels got the wire to the UConnect.
BY THE WAY, the drain valve turns like normal spigot. CW tightens, CCW opens to drain, it is not a reverse thread.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Are you positive the leak is from the drain and not coming from somewhere above it? Reason I ask is that I just had the same thing happen a few weeks ago on my daughter's '05. I initially thought it was the drain, but after completely drying everything and checking again, it was apparent the coolant was coming from the rad somewhere above the drain. And there was also another recent thread where a couple of other guys posted the same thing as well.
Of course it could be a bad drain on yours, but just a heads-up that there seems to be a bit of a trend with these rads.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
View attachment 23802 View attachment 23810 View attachment 23818 View attachment 23826
Appreciate the warning, well aware, welded my watch to the pos. alternator post once, nasty burn and I slung that thing into the next county.
I trimmed back the tape and soldered and painted with Liquid Tape, then wrapped individually and collectively all the wires. I left the Positive terminal attached tonight. I think this was my electrical leak. See the RED knob above the wires, that is the drain valve, which appeared to be so slightly open. it would leak small amounts which ran down onto the wires and saturated the harness there where the squirrels had chewed several wires insulation, none in half. But it appears quite likely that when you drove a lot (and leaked a lot) it would create a slow leak of current, when it dried it stopped. Will let you know if it fixes the problem. Will go under tomorrow and see if the squirrels got the wire to the UConnect.
BY THE WAY, the drain valve turns like normal spigot. CW tightens, CCW opens to drain, it is not a reverse thread.
It is easier/less exciting to remove the neg cable, no sparks:)

Even better is a cheap green knob batt disconnect switch - from WM ~$6. Just turn the knob and you're disconnected.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Hey guys, sorry to have taken so long to get back with the battery losing charge issue. I went under the car to see why I have a slow leak of coolant, maybe a qt. every 1500 miles or so. I have been looking, but today I noticed it appears it is coming out of the radiator drain valve. Has anyone had a leaking valve? It does not appear to be horizontal, the drain spigot, that is, it is just a little below level where it appears you would put a big screwdriver to loosen it.
Here is my main question, does the drain valve OPEN turning CCW or CW. Afraid to go either way without knowing. I know old Chrysler radiator petcocks were reverse thread (as were the old Valiant wheel bolts on the passenger side, weird, huh. Snapped a couple before I found out they weren't stuck, but I was 19 and thought everything just needed a bigger hammer or torque arm to work). But am unsure and the manual I have does not say, just "drain the radiator" brilliant.
Any way, while looking for this leak, I noticed right next to the drain valve, the wire harness running along the front rail behind the radiator with a bundle of wires wrapped in blue tape, it appears a squirrel (which we have aplenty in GA) has been chewing on the wire a little and has exposed some copper of what appears to be a purple or wt/pur wire. Could be more, but I am going down now to untape and fix those wires and kill a pile of squirrels. This maybe the current loss issue too, will have to see. It would be an easy fix if so. I have just been taking off the + cable whenever I am finished using it, I use it only occasionally.
But could someone tell me about the CCW or CC turning of the red valve stem?
Thanks a million.
Terry
Your squirrels may be rats/mice, I have that problem all the time.

I learned to leave all my hoods up, they don't like light.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Are you positive the leak is from the drain and not coming from somewhere above it? Reason I ask is that I just had the same thing happen a few weeks ago on my daughter's '05. I initially thought it was the drain, but after completely drying everything and checking again, it was apparent the coolant was coming from the rad somewhere above the drain. And there was also another recent thread where a couple of other guys posted the same thing as well.
Of course it could be a bad drain on yours, but just a heads-up that there seems to be a bit of a trend with these rads.
I never nailed down the precise location of my leak but I strongly suspect that it was just above the drain valve where the black plastic radiator tanks meet the aluminum radiator. I think this because when I placed a light under my van and it was running, I could see steam coming from that general location.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts