The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 Chrysler Town and Country 3.8L V6, 155,000 miles. Hi everyone, Durant happen all the time seems like mostly when can first starts out for the day. But I'm getting a slight slip between 1st and 2nd gear. All the rest of the gears shift smoothly. Also, sometimes when I start to go up a bill it's almost like it slips our of low gear for a second and then proceeds normally. It's actually been doing all of the above described for a couple of years with no major problems as of yet. I'm wondering if a simple transmission fluid and filter change might help. Don't want to flush it just drop the pan and change filter and fluid.

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,814 Posts
A slight slip (or, some would say, a 'dithering' clunky shift) between 1 & 2 at light throttle is a common malady on our vans.

If you can train yourself to press the accelerator a little harder until second gear is achieved, you can negate the issue under most circumstances.

Dropping the pan and replacing the fluid can lessen the symptom for a while. Has the ATF been replaced before (that you know of)?

BUT, so can changing the spark plugs! I found that out by accident. On our van, the shifts are smooth with a cold engine (or when shifting with our car's Autostick) I believe that the issue is a ECU programming glitch (too lean during the shift?). I've never investigated a 'fix' for that, however.

BTW, I also use a hand pump to replace a couple quarts of ATF+4 every other oil change, with filter changes ~ every 60K miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts