The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is much more noticeable after driving. A dead cold start up in the morning does not produce this ticking noise.

after driving when parked with the engine still on it will make the slight ticking noise in all gear selections besides reverse. It is not very loud but it is there. Non-car people would probably not even notice it.

After Correcting other under hood noises that were louder ...this is what’s left. And I don’t know ...maybe this is normal? Reand tell me what you think;

Why is it quiet in reverse with the brake on?

I now noticed this after removing all other sources of under hood noise. I got rid of engine ping and changed my alternator with a new D coupler since that was rattling and groaning.

I drove this probably 50,000 miles with a noisy alternator de coupler as it was that way when I got this vehicle at 95,000 miles. So this weird ticking noise may have been happening the whole time but you could not hear it with all the other noises this vehicle made!

The noise is not quite metallic enough to be lifter clatter. and it’s a tick, not a clatter. But I ran some Rislone Lifter cleaner in the oil anyway. Other more normal engine noises are less noticeable now, that’s kind of amazing, but that ticking noise is still there.

If it was injector noise then that means a couple injectors are louder than the rest.

But, if it was injector noise it wouldn’t care if it’s in park drive neutral or reverse.

If I’m stationary, but in drive and I try to rev it up a little It will tick more. My foot is on the brake just like when I’m in reverse. So it’s not some sort of brake vacuum noise.

Once warm when I’m driving away again the tick is noticeable at lower RPMs, the higher the engine revs the tech does not get any louder or worse you just hear it less because now you have wind noise Tire noise everything else that comes with road speed.

i’ve heard about transmission flex plate issues, and watched it on YouTube. I don’t think that’s it either.

So instead of running more varieties of lifter cleaners in the engine oil I should concentrate on why this is quiet in reverse but not in the other transmission selections

Yes, it’s still ticks in neutral and park.

what other things happen when in reverse that could suddenly become quiet? Vacuum, electrical solenoid, mechanical?*

When the hood is up and I rev the motor manually by the cable, The ticking is on the driver side transmission end of the engine. On the passenger side all I can hear is a much much quieter of more ticking which is probably the fuel injectors.

lastly , please excuse the punctuation and grammar errors I do this using the talk thing on my iPhone, I get tired of correcting it😂

·
fix it if you can
5,757 Posts
Only difference between D & R while stationary is load distribution on engine/trans mounts - take a close look at the condition of the rear mount it might be transferring more noise due to deteriorating rubber insulator.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that would be a clunk or creek type of noise, not a continuous clicking every second at 1000 RPM.

in order for a continuous noise to be continuous there has to be something moving on time hitting something.

I don’t know much about transmissions. But I do know that on some old Chrysler transmissions there used to be a rotating pin that would slowly come out and hit the internal cases.

·
fix it if you can
5,757 Posts
that would be a clunk or creek type of noise, not a continuous clicking every second at 1000 RPM.
you're stationary and instead of rubber insulator a mount is possibly contacting metal on metal until "R" shifts the front / rear mount balance...

or it could be the flex section of exhaust crossover pipe starting to leak...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts