The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

301 - 313 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey guys, I figured after 30 pages and many years of posts the subject of aluminum versus plastic versus brass had been exhausted, I try to not be elusive and reply but the notification sysytem on the forum it iffy.

Yes I have the univeral cast Y in a kit, the Dorman kit and the welded tube y's on eBay which the count is currently at 1 for sale. I am waiting for my welder to finish up a batch of the welded version, they were listed until March 1 when I ran out of stock. I actually hold back a few and have offered them.

Reactions: RD_3 and invader

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,414 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Your going to need the 90 degree quick connector for the rear Y.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just noticed today the one remianing plastic one in my 2008 GV is leaking :(

Where do people in Australia get their parts ??

All the ones on Ebay are in the US and attract $70 + dollars for freight

·
Super Moderator
24,414 Posts
Make them up out of plumbing fittings maybe? I wonder how Sharkbite fittings would work for that.

You can always delete the rear heat, or AC.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Make them up out of plumbing fittings maybe? I wonder how Sharkbite fittings would work for that.

You can always delete the rear heat, or AC.
8 years later and this thread continues....

3/4 brass PEX fittings and hose clamps have worked, it's simple and effective, of course there is the discussion a few pages back about galvanic corrosion, not sure if it's really an issue but I'm sure someone will jump in to discuss.
Deleting the rear heat is an option but one I would only suggest if the rear heater core were leaking and the owner really didnt want to do the work or spend the money to replace it and didnt really need the rear heat, here in the Northeast with rear passengers it's really not an option. If its just a leaking hose assembly repair or replace.

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’ve been thinking about a brass T. Might have to swing past the hardware store and see what I can dig up.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I’ve been thinking about a brass T. Might have to swing past the hardware store and see what I can dig up.
Make sure you test fit it with the 5/8 inch heater hose. The brass plumbing fittings have been known to be a bit of a loose fit.

Reactions: Saabman

·
Registered
130 Posts
Popped down to supercheap auto this morning and grabbed some hose clamps, 5/8th T and a bit of 5/8th heater pipe and now fixed :)

I was planning to put a longer hose on the top section wich would have let the T sit a little lower to line up with the pipe at the rear a bit better but I was on a bit of a tight schedule and the top hose didnt want to come off easily.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The leak prior to the repair was rather minor just a few drips every now and then - I had a closer inspection of the Y after pulling it out and could just make out a small vertical crack just above the lower fitting. I gave the Y a bit of a twist one direction it closed the crack up but when I twisted it the other way the crack opened up and the Y split completely in 2.

The moral of the story is if you notice your plastic Y leaking replace it ASAP before it suddenly lets go and leaves you stranded on the side of the road.

301 - 313 of 313 Posts