The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Smelling hot coolant

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Donal63 
#1 ·
Been smelling hot coolant from my 2008 Grand Caravan SE. I recently replaced the Y pipe, and thought it might have to do with that. A few minutes ago, I popped the hood with the motor running, and saw drip, drip from where the arrow points. I felt underneath, and there is antifreeze in the area where the arrow points. I have owned this van for a couple years, and have never messed with anything in this area, except the Y pipe. Is this area known as a problem with leaking?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Fender

See less See more
#2 ·
Plastic melts and wraps. That's the thermostat housing right next to the exhaust. It's very common to have issues. I'm pretty sure this part was metal on earlier years, might be best to "downgrade".

#3 ·
I need to get this leak taken care of pretty quick. It is leaking bad enough, that I am not trustful driving it. Any way of telling if it is the thermostat or the housing? Or should I just go ahead and replace both? Luckily, there is an Advance auto just across the street.

#5 ·
Not coming / spraying from the hose due to weak clamp pressure? Been there, experienced that.

The 2002 had a steel housing. Don't know if it would fit yours.

I'm not aware of the plastic thermostat housing being failure prone though. Has it been worked on (tightened) recently? at a Shop?

May as well replace the thermostat at the same time.

Gates Housing

Stant Heavy Duty Thermostat:

Gates Thermostat:

Reactions: Donal63
#6 · (Edited)
I don't think it's coming from the hose.
I have owned the van for two years and the housing, thermostat have not been worked on. I did a pressure test the other day, and at first, it seemed build pressure, and then, lose it. Then, it would not build pressure at all. When I would pump air into the system, it sounded like it came straight out, from around the filler neck. Thought I must be doing something wrong. It was about then, that I noticed the drip drip from where the arrow points. I did remove the bolts and looked at the thermostat, saw nothing out of the way. Removed the bolts and checked the thermostat again, awhile ago. All looked ok. I put it back together, and replaced the coolant I had lost. At this point, looks like the nest step is to replace the housing and thermostat.

#8 ·
Your pressure test (20 psi?) created a new leak or a bigger leak.

#9 ·
Used a Motorad (Stant) pressure tester, and did not go above 16 psi, which is what was on the radiator cap. Next step is replacing the housing and thermostat.

Reactions: Jeepman
#11 ·
Usually to be sure there aren't any small leaks, I over pump the system by 2 psi. It's not going to hurt anything to do this (at least nothing that wasn't already on the verge of failure), but it might just make the parts that had a slow drip a 16 psi have a more noticeable leak.

#12 ·
Ok. I have the old thermostat and housing off. I have the new thermostat and housing. I've been trying to install the new thermostat in the housing, and it is a booger. Anybody got ideas on how to get this done? I thought about using some kind of lubricant, but am uncertain if that would cause problems with the ring gasket.

Gas Auto part Bicycle part Audio equipment Metal

#13 ·
Put in engine with vent hole up, then put housing on, I believe.

Maybe not when using an O ring. Looks positioned correctly per the arrow.

Right thermostat for the 3.3L?

#14 ·
Well, it's in. It was really a tight fit, getting the thermostat mounted into the housing with that ring gasket. Finally got the thermostat somewhat seated into the housing, then mounted the housing and tightened up the bolts, figuring that would seat the thermostat. Thought about using some kinda lubricant to assist getting the thermostat seated, but decided not to chance it. It later occurred to me I coulda prolly used my heat gun on that gasket, to aid in seating the thermostat. Anyway, it is mounted, with the hose connected, and fluid replaced in radiator. Let it run for a while with the radiator cap off. Did a visual check for leaks and saw none. No longer dripping from the thermostat area. Took a short test drive and all seems ok. Did not pressure test the system. I was kinda afraid to. Anyhow, it is cold and windy out, and I think I've done enough for today. Gonna avoid long drives for the time being. Thanks to all you fine people for your help.
Here is the thermostat I used. Looks like I got the last one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.