The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heynow! how are Yooz?
2001T&C Ltd. ,206K 3.8L .....California emissions test NEEDED-NO check engine light displaying on dash

pls.....any familiarity with issue? Am beginning to think cleaning contacts of (T or CPM) controle module
BULB or gremlins?
Had on my list of projects to clean all grounds, yet to....
Saw a utoob vid of gen3, but not same....TIA!

·
Registered
201 Posts
When the check engine light stays on due to a fault code - there should also be a chime or ding sound right after you start the engine - twice I think). So if the light bulb is dead the chime should still alert you.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,580 Posts
Actually, it IS the same as a 3rd gen. The early 4th gen van 2001-2003 still used the same engine control system as the 1996-2000 vans.

Yeah, when the key is first turned on the "check engine" bulb should come on for a bulb check. If not, check the bulb and look for black tape that someone may have put over it. Maybe bulb was removed by a prior owner? It's happened before. 😢

·
Registered
397 Posts
Actually, it IS the same as a 3rd gen. The early 4th gen van 2001-2003 still used the same engine control system as the 1996-2000 vans.

Yeah, when the key is first turned on the "check engine" bulb should come on for a bulb check. If not, check the bulb and look for black tape that someone may have put over it. Maybe bulb was removed by a prior owner? It's happened before. 😢
My understanding is that the replacable bulbs are only used to illuminate the gauges and that the warning indicators like oil pressure, seat belt, check engine are led's that are part of the cluster circuit board. If one of them is not working then the cluster itself has to be replaced. I read this in the FSM.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,580 Posts
My understanding is that the replacable bulbs are only used to illuminate the gauges and that the warning indicators like oil pressure, seat belt, check engine are led's that are part of the cluster circuit board. If one of them is not working then the cluster itself has to be replaced. I read this in the FSM.
It 's a tiny replaceable bulb in the information center "eyebrow" on the right side.

Reactions: Baron

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
i'd be very willing to be it's just an issue with the bulb burning out, or the bulb socket isn't making good contact, which is something i've run into on the eyebrow piece

not so on the eyebrow piece on the early vans, those are normal lights just like the few lights used to illuminate the entire gauge cluster at night

Gadget Hood Automotive lighting Wood Audio equipment

·
Registered
397 Posts
i'd be very willing to be it's just an issue with the bulb burning out, or the bulb socket isn't making good contact, which is something i've run into on the eyebrow piece

not so on the eyebrow piece on the early vans, those are normal lights just like the few lights used to illuminate the entire gauge cluster at night

View attachment 68879
Good catch - I forgot that the early GEN4's still had the eyebrow. I remember when I bought my 2004 that I noticed it no longer had the eyebrow (along with a lot of other de-contented stuff). Didn't realize when I ordered it that the de-contenting was under way. I've since re-contented many of the missing parts. Perhaps I'll add an eyebrow.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,580 Posts
Ah, 2004 SHORT wheelbase. I was like wait a minute, my 2004 T&C has the eyebrow. So only the higher line models got it in 2004. Did short wheelbase models before 2004 get it? Maybe only select trims?

I just checked some of my extra 4th gen clusters, a few 2001's and a 2005. You're right about the internal LED, because I too only saw lights on the back that light up the gauges and nothing else. (y)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KEWL !
Thanks All! guess I'll go for a trim tool(s), tape around 'message center console' /eyebrow
manythnX road ripper (right side)
baron (contact bulb)

thnx to Jeepman for the
P1684 / battery drain info- Will pull IOD FUSE regularly, as; Rarely used and not always started within 21 days. Van is recently garaged, after Mum went with smaller, newer car..

Ivan, good to know a chime/ring (2x?) , in addition to bulb/Light , should ALso alert when CheckEngine status sends alarm

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ah, 2004 SHORT wheelbase. I was like wait a minute, my 2004 T&C has the eyebrow. So only the higher line models got it in 2004. Did short wheelbase models before 2004 get it? Maybe only select trims?

I just checked some of my extra 4th gen clusters, a few 2001's and a 2005. You're right about the internal LED, because I too only saw lights on the back that light up the gauges and nothing else. (y)
In both my Haynes manual and my FSM, the eyebrow is identified in the wiring diagrams as a "high line" option. I wonder if a van with the eyebrow will display a check engine indicator both on the cluster itself and the eyebrow?

·
3rd gen > all others
4,580 Posts
I don't know if it's a good idea to pull that fuse on a vehicle that needs to be emissions tested, especially on a vehicle not driven much. It would erase the codes and reset the "emissions readiness" and require 50 drive cycles to make the emission monitors all "ready" to test and pass. Might be better to just use a battery maintainer, or a solar charger hooked to the battery to keep the charge up.

Reactions: KOG

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know if it's a good idea to pull that fuse on a vehicle that needs to be emissions tested, especially on a vehicle not driven much. It would erase the codes and reset the "emissions readiness" and require 50 drive cycles to make the emission monitors all "ready" to test and pass. Might be better to just use a battery maintainer, or a solar charger hooked to the battery to keep the charge up.
excellent thankYou!
adding BaTTERy CHARGER to list for Garage. perhaps after test do IOD FUSE, only used seasonally like truck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts