The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any decent hardware store would have metric bolts you could use, as long as you can get the broken ones out. If you still haven't found what you need, and cannot identify the size & thread count from the pieces you have, I could probably find mine, and take them to the hardware here to identify. (I have an OEM hitch installed, which doesn't use the smaller bolts, as it replaces the bumper brace extensions that go into the frame rails with heavier ones, and also substitutes larger bolts for greater strength.)
Thanks so much for the reply! I do have the pieces and I know the correct bolt size and pitch. I'm just not sure whether the bolts I can get at a local hardware store have the correct rating to deal with the load and not shear when I torque them in place.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks so much for the reply! I do have the pieces and I know the correct bolt size and pitch. I'm just not sure whether the bolts I can get at a local hardware store have the correct rating to deal with the load and not shear when I torque them in place.
Good point. I'm pretty sure that our local hardware store does not have any grade 8 metric bolts, and I don't know where I would go to look for them. I'll try to find where I put mine, and check if I can see any hardness markings on them. Does anyone know if metric bolts are marked for hardness with the same conventions as are standard ('Imperial'?) bolts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry it took so long for me to get these photos of the bumper support bracket. The first shows the top of the bracket, and the other shows the bottom. The brackets are held in the frame rails only by the bolts you also use to attach the hitch.
Where can I buy these brackets if I wanted it replace? I have an 06 dodge caravan. Would like to install hitch as well, but the bolts broke in the frame as well. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Akbron, I'm sorry I missed your question. I don't come to this site much now. (I still have a 2010 Caravan, but there's not a lot of activity there anymore - I guess it's getting old, and others have moved on to something newer.)
If you need the stock bumper brackets, then I'd suggest a wrecking yard. But if you are going to use an OEM hitch, then you do not need the original brackets, as they supply much stouter ones along with the Chrysler Products OEM hitch kit. (They also use larger size bolts.)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts