The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

there are a lot of topics and I did some googling and searching, however I am not sure whether it's even called "soft-close" in Northern America. But you know, when you have the electric sliding doors, when you don't close them all the way manually or when they close themself, it's the final sound and move that closes them shut.

Well and this stopped working on my driver's side sliding door, which I am closing manually as the sliding harness has cracked cable (so it only opens/closes until about halfway).

What is the part/mechanism that I need to check and/or replace?

I've only found topic on sliding power lock actuators, however I am not sure if that's it? The door otherwise locks and unlocks fine, just won't release when opened electronically and won't soft-close when closed by hand (or electronically, but the sliding doesn't work at the moment).

Thank you!

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,122 Posts
As long as you hear the 'WHIRRRR' and the doors try to close, the grease in the latch motors (at the rear of each door) has gone all 'hard and sticky'.

You can remove the latches (the left side is easier than the right), and flush them out and re-grease them. The best topic here is this one, tho' it's rather long. Start reading from the most recent...

We cleaned and re-greased our latches maybe 6 - 7 years ago and they are still working fine.

+++++++++++++++++

If you don't hear the WHIRRRR then you had better replace or repair the motor cable that looks like a chain.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I will go through that thread, and will also grease the mechanisms while at it too.

The sound is now gone altogether, it's not even trying to do anything. If it's powered by the cables in the cable chain, that's probably the issue.

I know for sure the some cables in it are now broken and I've already got replacement (from a mint 2007 DGC with only 70k km, that unfortunately ended up rear ended at my local Pick N Pull).

I've fixed the cable harnessed before (both sides) by cutting out the broken individual cables and soldering in new ones (in spots where they don't bend), but it was only a matter of time until some other cables break (which they did during the last big freeze).

I'll replace the cables first then and then will see what happens.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
That is what was my first thought.
You are closing the door manually because of the 'flex wire harness fault' and now an additional wire has likely failed.

I found replacement sliding door (aftermarket) wire harness on Amazon for about $75 IIRC
I've not tried one, so I can't endorse the product.

If you find and use the aftermarket replacement, I'd love to read a review...

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
This is for a 2001, 2, 3 ... not applicable.

I had to go to your other post to find your year, make, model.
Many of us have made a signature with this information for when we forget to include it....

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Then there is this that I found:
I hope mine is this easy to find / fix...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So it indeed was just the harness, I replaced it with "new one" (it was from 2007 low-mileage GC sitting at local Pick-N-Pull) and it all works again. Thanks! For some reason I thought something else than the wires might have failed.

Other than that, having done that earlier, the harness is an easy fix: when you take it out and apart, you just look for visibly broken wires. Apart from visual inspection, they can probably be tested with multimeter too, but sometimes the wires still so-so make contact (which is where the doors partly work and only stop when given cable bends in the snake and the connection finally fully breaks), so thorough visual connection is probably the way to go.

The aftermarket harnesses are crazy expensive (like DORMAN 747310 and 747311), on Rockauto CA$126; the cheapest I have found were still about $70/piece. At this price point (and without scrapyards in sight* - or even with them, I was just very lucky that very low mileage car ended up there), I would just take the time to take it out and replace all the wires in the length where they bend while opening/closing the door (basically all that is in the cable snake) with new wires, if you know how to solder (possibly could be crimped in as well).

If you only fix the ones that are broken, it will work for a while and then other ones will break eventually, which I expected and is why I bought the harnesses when Pick&Pull had 50% off on all parts (I got them both for I think about CA$13).

*Regardless, Pick-n-Pull was great training place for learning how to take the whole harness out and in without any damages and extra work, which could not be said about my very first attempt ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts