The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I would like to talk about software updates, I'm relativity new in this forum, and I would like to collect what software updates are possible for this vehicle.

What I've already know:

- PCM
- Uconnect

Is there a general soft update possibility? What software / tools can be found which are useful for this model?

Many Thanks
Zoltan

·
Registered
113 Posts
Radio updates are here, just look for your variation and the 3 letters below the headphone jack on the radio: https://mygig-disk.com/

PCM is dealer only and is generally only performed when it resolves a problem/recall etc. My dealer wanted $99 just to see if a update was available. Even if you found a way to the PCM, the actual update files are not publicly accessible IIRC. I’ve considered using HPTuners to make small improvements, but these vans won’t be anything more than what they are and I’m content with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Flashupdates / calibrations are available via http://techauthority.com to everyone. You buy a subscription, download the files an flash them with a J2534 flash device and chryslers flash application.
Updated all the ECUs (PCM, OCR, BSM, AMP, FSM etc) in my Routan to current this way.

Alex (a student of steffen.m)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Flashupdates / calibrations are available via http://techauthority.com to everyone. You buy a subscription, download the files an flash them with a J2534 flash device and chryslers flash application.
Updated all the ECUs (PCM, OCR, BSM, AMP, FSM etc) in my Routan to current this way.

Alex (a student of steffen.m)
I’m interested in doing this for my Routan also. Is everything needed on that site? It seems to only list Chrysler products, are the PCMs the same?

·
Registered
484 Posts
For unconnected updates, yes go for them.

But, for PCM or other modules, I would not if everything is working as it should. Cars are not smartphones or computers that need to be constantly updated software. A newer version doesn't necessarily mean better.

IMO, I would only do a PCM update if there was a specific issue with the vehicle and that update addresses that issue.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The flash app is also downloadable from the site?
Yes, it is.

I’m interested in doing this for my Routan also. Is everything needed on that site? It seems to only list Chrysler products, are the PCMs the same?
Look for RM (Routan) vehicle line, they list those. There is no difference in flash / calibration for the Routan. Despite some outer and inner appearances, electronics are all the same with these vans. In fact, the Routan is a Chrysler product as well.
You need to find out what ECU has which flash installed and see if there is an update for it. wiTECH configuration report is helpful there.

IMO, I would only do a PCM update if there was a specific issue with the vehicle and that update addresses that issue.
So true.
But there is a reason for each update... recalls, TSBs, customer issues. They all address things like battery drainage, hard shifting, air bags deploying or alarms going off with no reason and other electronic flaws... Should not wait for all that to happen.

Cars serviced regularily at the US dealer should have gotten all these updates anyways.
I took my car far out of the US, so there is not another way then to take care of that myself.

I suggest you try this in a lab environment, Steffen has one of those :biggrin:

Reactions: RollingRoutan

·
Registered
48 Posts
I updated the pcm in my 2014 a couple of months ago and it made a huge improvement.
The clunk from Park to Drive was gone, Eco mode shifting was much improved. It seemed to flare between a few
of the shifts, now it is much better and usable. Also throttle sensitivity was reduced which has made drive ability
way better. Before you barely touched the throttle and you would spin the tires. Now it reacts much more gently,
which with the snow coming was something I was not looking forward too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
For MY11 TSB 18-113-16 is the latest PCM update (This bulletin applies to RT vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine built before March 12, 2011 (MDH 0312XX))
Do you know about MY09? Just curious if anything was released that would resolve clunking into D and harsh shifting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I updated the pcm in my 2014 a couple of months ago and it made a huge improvement.
The clunk from Park to Drive was gone, Eco mode shifting was much improved. It seemed to flare between a few
of the shifts, now it is much better and usable. Also throttle sensitivity was reduced which has made drive ability
way better. Before you barely touched the throttle and you would spin the tires. Now it reacts much more gently,
which with the snow coming was something I was not looking forward too.
I have a 2015, with exactly same symptom. That is why I've started this thread.

Thanks!

·
Registered
562 Posts
TSB 18-085-16 REV. A

SUBJECT:
Flash: 3.6L Diagnostic And System Improvements

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with updated software.

MODELS:
2015 - 2016 (RT) Chrysler Town & Country Dodge Caravan NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before June 20, 2016 (MDH 0620XX) equipped with 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine (Sales Code ERB).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the technician may find one or more of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
· **P0456 - EVAP System Small Leak.**
· P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit.
· P0116 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 1 Performance.
· P2097 - Down Stream Fuel Trim System 1 Rich (15 MY only).
· U0140 - Lost Communication With Body Control Module (15 MY only).
· P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire, sets at idle on a cold engine (15 MY only).
· P000A - Bank 1 Camshaft 1 Position Slow Response (15 MY only).
· P000B - Bank 1 Camshaft 2 Position Slow Response (15 MY only).
· P000C - Bank 2 Camshaft 1 Position Slow Response (15 MY only).
· P000D - Bank 2 Camshaft 2 Position Slow Response (15 MY only).
Enhancements:
· **Correct a remote start issue due to previous software update.**
· Improved idle stability (15 MY only).
· Improved first transmission shift after start up (15 MY only).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I figured this is a total long shot, but do these transmission TSB files happen to be floating around in the wild? I have an alibaba clone witech on the way for just general goofing around, but I'm sure it won't last if I try access the techauthority with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't think the files are just out there. I bought a 3 day TechAuthority membership, with a coupon :), and used a clone PodII I bought on AliExpress. Worked like a charm. The clones of the original Witech are very good for enabling options you add to your vehicle, but should NOT connect to TechAuthority. If you do, they will update and no longer work for you, if I recall.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't think the files are just out there. I bought a 3 day TechAuthority membership, with a coupon :), and used a clone PodII I bought on AliExpress. Worked like a charm. The clones of the original Witech are very good for enabling options you add to your vehicle, but should connect to TechAuthority. If you do, they will update and no longer work for you, if I recall.
Thanks for this. Just to be clear, did you mean "should NOT connect to TechAuthority"?

·
Registered
48 Posts
My apologies. I meant should Not connect. I believe if you connect you will be forced to do an update and then the clone will no
longer connect with any vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,140 Posts
My apologies. I meant should Not connect...
I added the "NOT" to your original post in case someone stops reading this thread at that point.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
1 - 20 of 34 Posts