The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am on vacation with my 2010 Town and Country and was having issues shifting it into gear and as I was rocking the shifter the attached picture of pin fell to the ground. I am trying to figure out where it goes. I want to make sure it is safe to wait until i get home.

I am still able to put my car through all the gears however when I shut it off I cannot remove the key until I pull the battery cable then it releases. I know that these have all had shifter issues from time to time but looking at diagrams I can't tell if this is part of that assembly or not.

Thanks in advance

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,159 Posts
You forgot to attach a picture.

I don't believe it is unsafe to drive once you selected your gear, but you risk not being able to switch back to park or to remove the key.

I'll suggest you to properly repair it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I made it home just fine and starting removing the dash to get to it. It runs and drives fine and goes through all the gears. From what I read that pin makes a contact which apparently is what makes the WIN module know that its in park and will not allow the key to release. Once I disconnect the battery and reconnect I can get the key out no problem. I will be replacing the unit.

Thanks for the reponse!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to follow up to this in case someone runs across this in the future. I was able to fix my shifter unit and do a bit of engineering to make sure it doesn't fail again.
1. I loosely followed this guide and this guide for removal. I did not remove the upper dash. I only had to remove the top of the center console, the knee panel, side panel, and trim around the instrument cluster. I was able to pry around these to get to the shifter mechanism.​
2. In order to reinsert the pin you have to use a small flathead screwdriver to depress the spring which is holding a plastic rod that pushes up and provides pressure for the metal piece which makes the contact closure for the parking sensor. Once you depress the spring you can insert the pin without issue.​
3. I modified the pin to make it more like a cotter pin. I drilled a hole in the tip and inserted a paperclip to hold it in place (see pics). I have read some people have had success in using epoxy but I wanted a more guaranteed solution.​
Hope this helps someone in the future!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to follow up to this in case someone runs across this in the future. I was able to fix my shifter unit and do a bit of engineering to make sure it doesn't fail again.
1. I loosely followed this guide and this guide for removal. I did not remove the upper dash. I only had to remove the top of the center console, the knee panel, side panel, and trim around the instrument cluster. I was able to pry around these to get to the shifter mechanism.​
2. In order to reinsert the pin you have to use a small flathead screwdriver to depress the spring which is holding a plastic rod that pushes up and provides pressure for the metal piece which makes the contact closure for the parking sensor. Once you depress the spring you can insert the pin without issue.​
3. I modified the pin to make it more like a cotter pin. I drilled a hole in the tip and inserted a paperclip to hold it in place (see pics). I have read some people have had success in using epoxy but I wanted a more guaranteed solution.​
Hope this helps someone in the future!

Hi, I'm having this exact issue, I pry up on the spring but I'm still not able to insert the pin. Can you help me please. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts