The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had both or are familiar with build details to know if and what sound insulation the TnC got at what trim levels over the GC? Things like acoustic laminated glass, extra insulation etc.

I've been downloading dif model year brochures but didn't really see anything on this. I would imagine they would have with TnC being the upper luxury model etc.

Reason being is I may target getting a TnC just for that.

Also i'm rather disappointed with how many non heated leather seat models that are out there. That shoulda be standard with leather!

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,167 Posts
I have an 09 SE with the 25;th anniversary edition, so a few options but still pretty much a base model.

I've scoured the yard and even taken a T&C apart for wiring-that is until someone took it and snipped it -_-

The insulation/soundproofing is the same on base models as it is on the limited. In short>there isn't much. Each inner trim panel has a small amount of soundproofing on it, but it's very limited and the GCV is by far the loudest and noisiest vehicle my family has. For the door panels, its a small thin film of cotton type material heated onto the panel. For the floor, the carpet has semi thick felt patches in places, like by the firewall and around the edges. Otherwise, the carpet is the soundproofing. The dash is the worst, underneath is a cheap not thick layer of felt type stuff, which has holes exposing metal through.

Since you're after sound, I'm guessing you're gonna get the infinity 9 amplified speaker system plus the 8 inch sub. It's a great setup, with the exception of the head unit and the speakers. The amp is quite good when paired with decent speakers and a better head unit, the head unit really seems to lack actually sending the amp decent low end frequencies, and the speakers themselves are paper cone and cheap, i find the dash and d-pillar tweeters too loud and shrill. I've now replaced the door/rear quarter panel speakers to aftermarket ones, and the dash and d-pillar tweeters came from 02-07 ram trucks which also had the infinity system. They are exactly the same speakers as in these vans, except they are made from a metallic cone material that is more accurate and not as shrill as the factory paper cone speakers. In 02 and older, the infinity system in trucks was actually a coaxial (2 way) speaker, but the main 3.5 inch speaker is paper. So what I did was took the tweeter and grille from the 02 speaker, and put it on my 04 speakers, and the sound is way better on the high end, and it really does make a difference. Since you seem like you want the best sound, another issue is the dash speaker on the driver side. If you look from the footwell up, you will see the speaker clearly. For a better sound ideally it would have a box or something underneath so that we don't hear the frequencies it sends down to the footwell. A part of my project is I will actually make a box or bowl type piece which will be mounted under each speaker to prevent this, covering it with a coffee cup from underneath made quite a difference already.

I was planning to replace my harness for a limited fully optioned out harness and add every available option to my van. In the process, I will be soundproofing the whole interior, including the roof. I also got grey leather seats that look like new to replace the worn cloth seats in my van. They are also heated, and a reason for wanting the whole harness swapped out, simply, I've added too many wires to my van, it's easier just to get one with everything and not need to run more wires. If you want a quieter ride, you will also need to do some soundproofing as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mostly looking at lower noise floor. Tire noise I think will be the main thing to block. I haven't looked into stereo systems yet, would be nice to have something other than base.

I have a 3rd gen and 4th gen. 3rd gen is definitely louder than 4th gen especially with A and B pillar wind noise.

I have done some sound insulating on the 4th gen. Added a bunch of kilmat to sliding doors and rear hatch. Rear hatch I think is where most I noticed the reduction the most. Added a bit too much though as the struts struggle with it when it's cold out. Still have some tire noise from the rear I need to track down that I'd like to reduce.

Renting a 5th gen GC I thought I was hearing more through the floor than desired. Was hoping the TnC would be a little better.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,167 Posts
Mostly looking at lower noise floor. Tire noise I think will be the main thing to block. I haven't looked into stereo systems yet, would be nice to have something other than base.

I have a 3rd gen and 4th gen. 3rd gen is definitely louder than 4th gen especially with A and B pillar wind noise.

I have done some sound insulating on the 4th gen. Added a bunch of kilmat to sliding doors and rear hatch. Rear hatch I think is where most I noticed the reduction the most. Added a bit too much though as the struts struggle with it when it's cold out. Still have some tire noise from the rear I need to track down that I'd like to reduce.

Renting a 5th gen GC I thought I was hearing more through the floor than desired. Was hoping the TnC would be a little better.
Unfortunately not :( I have never actually driven in a T&C but after taking it apart and comparing it to my van... it's the same. I agree the tire noise is loud.

·
Registered
228 Posts
How much of that noise is due to the tires more than the sound deadening?
I ask because our 2018 was far louder inside with the Firestone tires it came with than it is now with the General Altimax I run for winter or the VentusS1 Noble 2s I use for summer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Test drive both, that way you will know for sure what you like.

I did, and bought a T&C because my opinion it seemed less clunky and more quiet. LongVoyager brings up a great point that I overlooked I did not factor tires on the comparison.

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
654 Posts
Yeah that's the only thing i regret about my TCs their noisy on the road . I was on the turnpike the other day and i kept checking to see if a window was down or a door was ajar. 😆

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tires do make a difference and I hate the ones on my 4th gen as they are loud and thud too much, also a bit old so rubber isn't in the best condition.

Interestingly my 4th gen TnC Limited does a good job at isolating outside noise even with all its glass. Most of the noise is tire noise since the rear wells are inside the cabin. I'm going to revisit isolating the rear tire well noise.

·
Registered
2019 DGCGT flex fuel, 15K miles.
266 Posts
Tires do make a difference and I hate the ones on my 4th gen as they are loud and thud too much, also a bit old so rubber isn't in the best condition.

Interestingly my 4th gen TnC Limited does a good job at isolating outside noise even with all its glass. Most of the noise is tire noise since the rear wells are inside the cabin. I'm going to revisit isolating the rear tire well noise.
Sounds like a great idea, please keep us posted. Maybe include sound readings from your cell phone before and after?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had tire noise I thought was road noise when I purchased my 18 base and now with Goodyear Maxlife tires it is so quiet it is like sitting in Living Room. My radio volume is around 5 normally now which is 1/2 volume from before tires.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had tire noise I thought was road noise when I purchased my 18 base and now with Goodyear Maxlife tires it is so quiet it is like sitting in Living Room. My radio volume is around 5 normally now which is 1/2 volume from before tires.
So many people mistake loud tires for road noise, then call these vans crap, or claim it's because they're cheap.
Our van on the Firestones it had when we got it was almost unbearable on the highway. Loud, clunky, and rolly.
Swapped them for Altimax RT43s and it became a completely different vehicle. Smooth, quiet, and composed.
Now with my Ventus S1 Noble 2s on my 19" wheels, it's still smooth and quiet, but feels even more composed in corners.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, I haven't figured out what tires I want to go with yet.

On my 3rd gen I bought Firestone FR710s which I thought were good all arounders and with good steering responsiveness and made the 3rd gen fun to drive I didn't get much life out of them but that's primarily because I failed to rotate.

I replaced two of those up front that wore down too far with General AltiMAX RT43... quiet, rides super nice, but steering responsiveness was a major downgrade. Feels like a grandma tire.

I have Michelin Destiny's on the 4th gen which are the ones I hate, loud road noise and thuds over everything, they are also pretty old though. This van also came with aftermarket wheels so it's definitely not a stock tuned setup. I'm concerned this combo has added additional rotational mass which isn't ideal.

Back to sound deadening, I'm going to order some Boom Mat spray and try applying to the wheel wells on exterior to see if this will make any improvement...since it's easier. Other thoughts were getting some parts-express acoustic sound dampening foam if i can get in behind the interior rear wheel well panels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts