The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I accelerate I get a poping and or a slight hesitation.

Codes displayed are:
1193 and 0508

I want to fix her but Im not sure where the codes point me. :help2:

Cleaned the throtle out in december and hesitation stopped. (sometimes resulting in stalling)
Specifically when I accelerated from a stop or in reverse.
:(

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
The p1193 is caused a problem with the air temp sensor or the wiring to it. The 0508 is a code for the IAC which may have an issue, or may be from the other code. Does the van idle well, and keep idling if you turn the a/c on and lock the steering at the left or right stop?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idle, AC turns on well with cold air-
Wheel will rotate all the way in both directions w\o loss of power or erratic idle,
Only ping when accelerate is pressed aggressively and SOMETIMES when I first start the car.

I am honered to have the pleasure of replying to you.
I see you as a legend in the threads here, :thumb:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok- check AIC and connector was loose, Removed and cleaned witha rrag- plugged in and went to auto zone to read and clear codes,
2 days went by and the check engine light came back on,
p0456 code threw
Indicates Small evap leak,
Engine still studdering when the gas pedal was pressed hard, NOT when its slightly pressed.
I could get the van up to 45 without a problem when pressing the gas lightly,
If I press hard it seems like it loses power and hesitated- I can hear a pinging when I feel the hesitation, ? ?
Wanted to Sea-foam the engine, and add to gas with a high octane fuel.
Hope it clears it up- Ill post my results.

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
Ok the EVAP leak has nothing to do with the acceleration issue. An EVAP leak causes no driveability issues. It does not even make the vehicle run in 'default loop' because the CEL is on. I'm leaning toward an IAC issue... Have you tried to remove and clean the throttle body again? A can of throttle body cleaner is cheap. Try that again and see if it helps... just be sure to remove it and clean the back of the throttle body well including the pathway for the IAC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Removed the throttle and cleaned it out again,
It was dirty but not as bad as this past winter.
I was able to restore power slightly and it wont hesitate at low RPMs now. But still a pinging and choking when I accelerate hard.
Im not sure how to clean the IAC, can I spray and wipe with a contact cleaner?
I know the carb cleaner is strong and might kill it.

·
3,052 Posts
Removed the throttle and cleaned it out again,
It was dirty but not as bad as this past winter.
I was able to restore power slightly and it wont hesitate at low RPMs now. But still a pinging and choking when I accelerate hard.
Im not sure how to clean the IAC, can I spray and wipe with a contact cleaner?
I know the carb cleaner is strong and might kill it.
Throttle body cleaner will not kill the IAC...

So your better at idle... but bad at WOT. I hate to say it... but it sounds like your catalytic converter is stopping up.... how black are the plugs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Used the sea-foam in the engine (half a bottle into the valve cover) and a full bottle into the gas tank, Filled with premium and vacuumed 1\3 of a bottle into the brake booster vacuum line.
let car sit for about 20 mins and took her for an extended drive.
I was able to push gas more aggressively and now will go into over-drive without hesitation. Problem seemed to fade for now.
I get some light hesitation when I first accelerate still but the pings are not pinging anymore.

How can I tell if its the cat converter?
if there an easy way to test?
What do you mean HOW BLACK ARE THE PLUGS? are you talking about the spark plugs?

·
3,052 Posts
How can I tell if its the cat converter?
if there an easy way to test?
What do you mean HOW BLACK ARE THE PLUGS? are you talking about the spark plugs?
Yes I mean the spark plugs. Real black plugs are a sign of a plugged cat.

As for testing the cat... well there are special tools for that... OR A TRICK!! Take the upstream 02 sensor out... yes it is hard... yes it will be a pain... and drive it down the road with the upstream 02 sensor out. Yes the check engine light will come on... but. If it runs properly, no pinging, has more power... you know the cat is not letting exhaust vent properly... yes folks, that is a trick. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I took the plugs out and replaced them along with the oil and Fuel, burned all the gas until it was empty....Literally waited till it was empty. (had an emergency gallon)
Sea-Foamed the block, fuel lines and vacuum system. Cleaned the throttle and replaced the air filter.
Problem persisted for a day or 2 but is now completely gone.
I guess it was a case of the bad gas??
Thank everyone for your input and assistance. I love this site.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Very glad that you were able to get the van working, no i mean very very glad without it being something mind boggling.

Please inform, I have never used sea foam or other mainteance fluids. HOw did you put 1/3 of the sea-foam into the brake booster vacuum line? Also did you also take off the oil cap and put sea foam in there (i believe you said you put in sea foam under the valve cover)? thanks Scott

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The p1193 is caused a problem with the air temp sensor or the wiring to it. The 0508 is a code for the IAC which may have an issue, or may be from the other code. Does the van idle well, and keep idling if you turn the a/c on and lock the steering at the left or right stop?
OK- Problem has returned leading me to believe there might be a carbon build up problem BUT!!!
Problem Worsens when AC is turned on and or when I turn the wheel fully to either side.
....Tartar-sauce.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes- Removed the brake booster line while the car was @ idle and added the Sea-Foam till she choked.
I did pour some in the Oil opening, but NOTE, I changed the oil after 260 miles.
Just to be safe. Im not sure if it would harm anything but I wanted to make sure all was well and clean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to up-date, I tuned up the motor with an il change, trans fluid check-
Changes the spark plugs along with the wires AND the ignition coil. and Valhalla! the ignition coil replacement did the trick.
Van runs top notch! ALSO found the p0456 culprit, right where it was mentioned to be, Just below the air filter assembly, a small patch hose that was cracked and split.
No check en gin light and power restored to normal :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts