The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reaching out to 5th Gen T&C owners regarding spare FOBIKs.

I would like to have two or three extra FOBIKs for peace of mind (2016 T&C).
Did you get spares? If so, how did you go about getting them?

I researched this forum and the gist is...
- You cannot program them yourself (if you pick some up on eBay) :angrya:
- Dealers can help but it's EXPENSIVE! :Wow1:

Thanks for any and all replies... I'd like to do this in the most economical manner.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,604 Posts
If you have two, it is all you need.

I've never needed more than one (for other brands), but for Chrysler two should be enough. Next time you buy a new vehicle, after negotiations ask for the third one free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a couple that I'd be willing to sell. I bought them from replacemyremote.com and just never returned them. My switch was under recall and dealer replaced my keys too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have two, it is all you need.

I've never needed more than one (for other brands), but for Chrysler two should be enough. Next time you buy a new vehicle, after negotiations ask for the third one free.
I suppose two would be enough.... if you don't have a wife with a history of misplacing her key.
Once she dropped her T&C keys as she was exiting the vehicle.... and they fell down a drain grate never to be seen again... except for the creatures that live in Chicago sewers! LOL.

I'll sleep much better knowing I have spares in situations like this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought a used T&C and they struggled to find the second fob. They told me I had to come to the dealer on a specific day with the one original key and their key cutter would cut it, and they would program it. Told me ballpark $150. But the car was certified so they had to supply 2 keys. Anyway, a few days later it showed up in the mail.

But I hear you, I definitely need 2, would like 3. I'm always the one starting the car and loading the kids if we go anywhere together. So finding her suitcase, I mean purse, digging through it looking for the one single key we had was awful. That was the last T&C we had after she lost one of the original 2. Ha!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought a used T&C and they struggled to find the second fob. They told me I had to come to the dealer on a specific day with the one original key and their key cutter would cut it, and they would program it. Told me ballpark $150. But the car was certified so they had to supply 2 keys. Anyway, a few days later it showed up in the mail.

But I hear you, I definitely need 2, would like 3. I'm always the one starting the car and loading the kids if we go anywhere together. So finding her suitcase, I mean purse, digging through it looking for the one single key we had was awful. That was the last T&C we had after she lost one of the original 2. Ha!
Here's a pic of the fronts.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I bought two from eBay after my wife lost one. Had the metal keys cut at a locksmith and then went to the dealer to program them. The dealer said they couldn't guarantee they would work unless we bought them from them. After programming, they have been fine. That was a few months ago. I locked up the original one I still had in case one of these failed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,604 Posts
It shows it would work for 2011-2016 with single sliding door.

What I don't know is, if the programmer can be used with other remote controls or you have to buy this complete kit for each remote control, if so, then you better pay dealer to program it for you, it is very expensive ($154.99 USD @Autozone).

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a couple that I'd be willing to sell. I bought them from replacemyremote.com and just never returned them. My switch was under recall and dealer replaced my keys too.

These Fobics will not work on a 2016. And they will not work on your van after the recall. The key numbers are not the same. I still have 2 New OEM Fobics for the first Gen 5's. They can't be programmed to my 2008 T&C or my 2014 DGC. And these are after market.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Reaching out to 5th Gen T&C owners regarding spare FOBIKs.

I would like to have two or three extra FOBIKs for peace of mind (2016 T&C).
Did you get spares? If so, how did you go about getting them?

I researched this forum and the gist is...
- You cannot program them yourself (if you pick some up on eBay) :angrya:
- Dealers can help but it's EXPENSIVE! :Wow1:

Thanks for any and all replies... I'd like to do this in the most economical manner.
I got 4 7 button Fobic's made by a local locksmith for $300. They programmed them along with 2 plain keys that I got from Ebay $12 for the pair. For my 2014 Grand Caravan R/T.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I usually buy them here.

http://www.keyfobmall.com/?utm_source=KFM+Sept+2016&utm_campaign=Sept+2016+Newsletter&utm_medium=email

I needed one for the 2017 Pacífica recently I got it brand new off ebay from a chrysler dealer for $70. The local Chrysler dealer charged $75 to program it.

If the dealer programs one or five it’s $75 for the 2010 T & C. I only did one for the Pacifica so I don’t know if that’s applicalbe to the ‘17 model.

I believe I have a couple brand new (Copies, not factory) unprogrammed fobs left over from the ‘10 T & C Limited. Anyone with an early Gen 5 Limited can have them absolutely free!

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,604 Posts
I believe I have a couple brand new (Copies, not factory) unprogrammed fobs left over from the ‘10 T & C Limited. Anyone with an early Gen 5 Limited can have them absolutely free!
If I were you, I would keep them as spare, the case is what more often fails, and it should fit any 5 Gen. vehicle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wanted to post an update to this thread.
I wound up visiting The Northside Remotes & Keys Duplicate Center at 3635 N. Western Ave. Chicago ILL.
I asked what they charged for a dup FOBIK... $160 programmed, the fella sez.
I said I needed three of them. He sez, "well, then you get a discount. $130 per FOBIK".
I told him, take my money.

He programmed them and all work great.

If you are in the Chicagoland area, you might want to keep this place in mind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts