The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on putting in a new timing belt kit and just got the plenum and coils out when removing the spark plugs I discovered one is soaked in oil. The tube the spark plug goes in has oil in it too. Is this from a bad seal in the valve cover? Do I need to plan on replacing that too? Odd thing is, the electrode looked burnt up so it seems oil was seeping down the threads into the combustion changer. Possible? What do you think?

·
Registered
144 Posts
To me that just looks like you have a leaky rocker cover gasket - oil running down into the spark plug recess and sitting there.

the oil on the end of the plug I would suspect got there when you unscrewed the plug and the pool of oil then ran down the thread.
I would look for and confirm a rocker cover leak or whatever else might be above the plugs and fix that. Oil is a good insulator so having the oil around the plug is not a huge issue but it might degrade the plug leads in the long term. Certain fix it but I wouldn’t loose sleep over it - unless the oil leak is something nasty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The van seems to run fine, although lately it has had issues with something like a misfire when accelerating on the highway. No CEL though. I'm putting new plugs and coils on as part of this job since I have to take them out anyway. I guess I'll take the valve cover off and report back with what I find.

I guess this could explain my oil consumption. I haven't been able to find a leak anywhere!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Although you do need to replace the valve cover gasket, the ounce of oil leaked into spark plug hole is not the cause of your oil consumption... Like our 2010 4.0, it's mostly from oil getting past the piston rings, and also some leaking at the valve seals. Oil consumption has been drastically reduced since switching to 5W-40 / 0W-40 synthetic oil.

Don't forget to replace your intake plenum gaskets. Ours had obvious vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had read about the unusual oil consumption in these vehicles, so I knew it was "normal" but I was very surprised when I saw this plug. I'm about to head back out to take the valve cover off.

Yes, I did get a new plenum gasket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I loosened the valve cover bolts, but the cover won't come off. I'm afraid to whack it with a rubber hammer since it's plastic. What to do? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
24,743 Posts
Sounds like it's nice and tight, maybe leave it alone and just tighten things down..

Is that motor oil or power steering fluid around the spark plug? It's easy for power steering fluid to spill over, especially if the front wheels have been off the ground and the wheels steered back and forth manually. That happens fairly often.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I'm thinking I'll just leave it for now and move on with the timing belt project. I may reattempt the valve covers after the belt is done, or just save that for spring when it's warmer. I have new plugs and coils so it will be at least better in that regard. Maybe changing to 5w-40 oil will help in the mean time too.

It's definitely motor oil.

·
Super Moderator
24,743 Posts
Any chance it was power steering fluid? Is the reservoir nearby?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's definitely motor oil. I have ATF+4 in the power steering system, and it's not that. Besides, some of the plugs in the rear bank had oil on them too, and I don't see how power steering fluid could get back there without making a mess of the entire engine.

Since I had to get the timing belt job done, I decided to tighten everything on the valve covers back down and try again another time. I'll see how it goes with the new plugs, coils, and 5w-40 oil. Maybe I can put this off until spring.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
It took me forever to find the solution to this. First, most people say it is the tube seals which are at the top of the tube. This is NOT it. The oil can't magically go up the tube, through the seal and then back down into the tube.

The real answer is the tube are leaking at the bottom. Oil seeps down the hole that the tube is mounted into. It gets in there when the sleeve retainer seal (similar to Loctite) breaks down. You may notice a spark plug tube that is a little higher than the others. I had a couple that started to pull up.

Here is a video with how to fix it properly. It is for a Dodge Neon, but it is exactly the same issue. I fixed mine a couple years back and it has been dry ever since. Take your time, make sure everything is clean. Give it time to cure and it will fix it. I used Permatex "High Temperature Sleeve Retainer" part 7651149 since I could find it locally (Napa, I believe). I would recommend being slightly more generous with the fluid than he shows in the video. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
332 Posts
I may have missed it . But what engine does your van have ?

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
332 Posts
Yes I seen that afterwards :unsure: Also figured it had to be a 4.0 . After I posted . My bad :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts