The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My speedometer works fine usually, but lately it likes to stick around the 40 to 60 mph range. Banging on the top of dash worked for a while but no more. I believe that it may be mechanical. It's not the end of the world as most everything else seems to be working. Just a nuisance. The wipers have never worked on delay since I got the van 2 years ago. Ignition switch was replaced and diagnostics run by local shop but they found nothing. I have read this is fairly common and may need the motor replaced. I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 4x4 also and the wipers work just fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I believe most problems with most vehicles today are electronic in nature. From what I have read, the whole cluster might need to be replaced and I ain't gonna do that, I will live with it. The wiper switch was replaced and still no delay worky. :rolleyes:

· Registered
14 Posts
The instrument clusters had issues with cold solder joints. Maybe take it out, check and resolder if you have the ability. For the wiper, I would think that checking the wiper stalk would be appropriate...why the ignition switch? Changing the wiper stalk is cheap. If the motor works except for the interval, I would think it's fine.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your help. Because I inherited the vehicle I don't know how long these things have been misbehaving. The speedo seems to stick worse in warmer weather than in cold.(expansion drag perhaps)? I think the wiper stalk was changed when the ignition switch was replaced, not sure but will check my records. The ignition switch was changed due to several items that would stop working while driving, like the blower fan, wipers and power windows plus a few more which varied intermittently but now are fine.The vehicle sat unused for long periods of time but was at least started and run up to temperature occasionally. When I got it all the tires were dry rotted and the headliner falling down as well as rear heater crossover pipes rotted & capped off, along with other little mysterious things. The instrument cluster reset function doesn't seem to work either. I just wanted to test the cluster and see the speedometer sweep and gauges activate and such but no soap. There seems to be an issue with later gen 3 clusters with separate trip & reset buttons instead of one. I have read about that before. The one thing about that odometer / trip function I don't care for is the fact that it will not stay in the trip mode, always goes back to total mileage after shutting off. I have just passed to 90,000 mark. This is perhaps the newest vehicle that I will ever own. The accessibility to things under the dash is a nightmare. You shouldn't have to dismantle half of the dashboard to change a bulb. I am not dissing just Chrysler for this; they all have gone this route, There is no reason to assemble a vehicle without things like screws in plain sight to remove a cluster or a switch except to have a dealer do it for outrageous amounts of money. On top of my negative outlook on the entire automotive industry, many problems are occurring because of outsourcing to other countries. The reliability is sketchy at best and I have read on many forums to use only factory replacement parts due to the poor quality.
The speedo sticking brigs back a memory of a 92 Dodge Daytona I had. It was either the speedo or tach that would stick. I think they followed an electronic signal and were somehow using a magnetic sinc of sorts. I took a thin magnet to the face of the gauge & dragged the needle up and back the full range of movement a few times and it worked fine after that. Weird!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts