The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 T&C eL w/ 3.3L - Alternator and Starter were replaced by a Chrysler Dealership in Nov 2012

Currently, the speedometer does not work. Also, a week ago the starter began to over-engage (grinding sound such as when one tries to start a vehicle while it is already running) during initial ignition sequence. Yesterday, the ignition actually "clicked" three times before the starter engaged and turned the motor.

I believe that I have a short in the system somewhere, but have no idea where to begin looking for such a short. This same short could've been the culprit that caused the alternator and starter to malfunction in November.

I have read thru the forum and conducted forum searches but have not found a problem exactly like these symptoms. Any ideas as to what could make this occur? Am I correct in assuming there may be a short? If so, how do I trace it?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Follow-up

Currently, the speedometer does not work.
FYI, I removed the battery to properly clean the terminals and connectors. I checked for signs of acid leaks onto wiring harnesses and did not find any.

Additionally, I checked every fuse. All were good.

I also conducted the instrument panel re-calibration. The speedometer now works properly, but the ignition still "clicks" before turning the engine.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Load test the batt for strength, this is the first step for any starting problem.

A weak batt will normally not affect electronics because they draw such little power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts