The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Grand Caravan SE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 DGC 180k miles.
As some of you know my wife likes to create work for me or help me to learn new things by tearing up vehicles. She recently rear ended someone so im stuck with the task of replacing and fixing things. Unlike her i know how to drive and would like to know how to (if possible) bypass the airbag module or if theres a way to turn airbag light off without a scan tool? Mine doesnt do that. Im going to get the front seat belts and clock spring tomorrow and i can get the other two airbags i need as well. (Passenger and knee) I just dont have the money to get module reset or get a new one. Does the dash have to be replaced as well since passenger side deployed even though no one was in seat? TIA any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,756 Posts
Accidents are scary and I don't take them lightly anymore after my accident last year, glad she's okay and well!

For the airbags, check the seat belt buckles too, if you can move them freely and with ease then they are ok, if they are very stiff then they had detonated and they also need replacing. The dash pad will need replacing unless you wish to tape the door up into place, the airbag itself bolts onto the pad (I believe anyway) from the underside.

As for the airbag light, it stays on when there's a problem in the system. I had fixed a few Dodge vans and I believe that once you replace all the blown airbags, the airbag light may go away despite a crash and despite deployment. If it doesn't go away you will have to either replace the module or have yours reset, you can disable the airbag system (I think anyway) but that's with programming and at that point you may as well just have the airbag module cleared.

And for the airbag module, you don't have to buy a brand new module, same with the airbags themselves. I can get a full set of airbags for 50$ each and the module for 25 and all will be taken care of. Just make sure the module is from the same year and has the same plugs.

·
Registered
2013 Grand Caravan SE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Accidents are scary and I don't take them lightly anymore after my accident last year, glad she's okay and well!

For the airbags, check the seat belt buckles too, if you can move them freely and with ease then they are ok, if they are very stiff then they had detonated and they also need replacing. The dash pad will need replacing unless you wish to tape the door up into place, the airbag itself bolts onto the pad (I believe anyway) from the underside.

As for the airbag light, it stays on when there's a problem in the system. I had fixed a few Dodge vans and I believe that once you replace all the blown airbags, the airbag light may go away despite a crash and despite deployment. If it doesn't go away you will have to either replace the module or have yours reset, you can disable the airbag system (I think anyway) but that's with programming and at that point you may as well just have the airbag module cleared.

And for the airbag module, you don't have to buy a brand new module, same with the airbags themselves. I can get a full set of airbags for 50$ each and the module for 25 and all will be taken care of. Just make sure the module is from the same year and has the same plugs.
Thank you for the help.
Both front seat belts detonated so im replacing those. Im getting the kneepad and passenger airbag and clock spring tomorrow as well. So how do you replace the dash pad? I never thought about looking that up. I removed all airbags already and installed driver side just not hooked up. I wasnt thinking when i removed passenger side i took the whole housing out and already trashed it. I was a little mad from when she told me about accident. Where exactly is the airbag module? From what i have read online my understanding is that it's above transmission and under the dash in center but i haven't had a chance to look more into it. Trying to get the things i need fixed to drive without getting a ticket. Thank you again

·
Registered
300 Posts
The airbag light will go out when there are no more SRS issues without a need to reset any codes. I would suggest getting a scanner that can read the SRS codes so you will know the specific issues you are dealing with.

Reactions: Sienile

·
Registered
2013 Grand Caravan SE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The airbag light will go out when there are no more SRS issues without a need to reset any codes. I would suggest getting a scanner that can read the SRS codes so you will know the specific issues you are dealing with.
3 airbags deployed and the front seat belts detonated so im pretty sure thats the cause of the light being on. I got a code for a bad connection after i unhooked all the srs connections from the airbags and belts.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,756 Posts
Thank you for the help.
Both front seat belts detonated so im replacing those. Im getting the kneepad and passenger airbag and clock spring tomorrow as well. So how do you replace the dash pad? I never thought about looking that up. I removed all airbags already and installed driver side just not hooked up. I wasnt thinking when i removed passenger side i took the whole housing out and already trashed it. I was a little mad from when she told me about accident. Where exactly is the airbag module? From what i have read online my understanding is that it's above transmission and under the dash in center but i haven't had a chance to look more into it. Trying to get the things i need fixed to drive without getting a ticket. Thank you again
I don't mean the seat belt itself. I mean the piece it buckles into, those retract downwards when in a collision.
Pliers Hand tool Wire stripper Tool Diagonal pliers

The airbag module sits underneath the HVAC, you remove the lower trim panel with the driver and passenger air vents, and it will be there.

I'm not sure about the dash pad, someone else will need to walk you through that one.

·
Registered
2013 Grand Caravan SE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't mean the seat belt itself. I mean the piece it buckles into, those retract downwards when in a collision.
View attachment 66868

The airbag module sits underneath the HVAC, you remove the lower trim panel with the driver and passenger air vents, and it will be there.

I'm not sure about the dash pad, someone else will need to walk you through that one.
The driver side belt was way loose and wouldn't retract and passenger belt was way tight. No problem buckling them in so im not sure if they are messed up or not. But once again thank you for the help.

·
Registered
2013 Grand Caravan SE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not the easiest thing to get out, but here it goes.
I enjoy a challenge lol and would love to take all this wonderful stuff out especially since I have a vehicle that has everything i need to swap out with. I just dont have the time. I have too much i have to do before my surgery but thank you. I greatly appreciate everyone for there advice, this forum is a lifesaver.

·
Registered
2014 Chrysler Town & Country 30th Anniversary Edition. 3.6L, 211kW
316 Posts
The driver side belt was way loose and wouldn't retract and passenger belt was way tight. No problem buckling them in so im not sure if they are messed up or not. But once again thank you for the help.
I think he meant that if the belt buckle would swing freely or not. Not sure though. In theory if the rubber that is covering the buckle and the ?steel cable? is not cramped together in any way then I think it hasn’t deployed aka pre-tensioned in collision. This is new stuff to me. Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong.

PS. Would also be nice to have a material from the manual how to replace the buckles. They seem to be hidden under the side panel of the seat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts