The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
fix it if you can
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know of / have any experience with brake rotors machined from stainless steel and 4th gen vans?

I can't seem to find any tangible info.. ssbc seems to make a set but they don't have any technical details (such as materials used, country of parts origin)..

also, is there a "standard" for the materials for brake rotor applications?
I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $ to get a set (provided one is available..)

thanks

·
Latent car nut
9,220 Posts
does anyone know of / have any experience with brake rotors machined from stainless steel and 4th gen vans?

I can't seem to find any tangible info.. ssbc seems to make a set but they don't have any technical details (such as materials used, country of parts origin)..

also, is there a "standard" for the materials for brake rotor applications?
I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $ to get a set (provided one is available..)

thanks
Given that Stainless Steel is a relatively soft alloy compared to a high carbon steel, my bet is that rotors aren't made from this material, and if they were they wouldn't last more than a few miles before they became seriously warped.

·
1000 Post Club Member
1,985 Posts
Stainless steel is made with a percentage of chromium,you know,that stuff that covers sockets and ratchets and show car goodies.Its brittle.Thats why you dont use SS chassis bolts.Great for non stressed areas,but otherwise,SS is not what its cracked up to be.Certainly not for something safety related like brake rotors.Now,sleeving calipers or master cylinders,thats OK.

·
Registered
323 Posts
SSBC is high quality stuff, normally for performance cars or sports cars, so if they have something that fits a van it is likely a good product and probably $$.

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,509 Posts
Unless you are dealing with extreme corrosion situations, I cannot imagine it being cost effective. The standard ones are cheap now and they last a long time.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Even if you can find them for cheap.... Stainless Steel would be a very very very poor material for a brake rotor for the reasons listed above and more.

·
Super Moderator
26,653 Posts
They have stainless steel rotors for motorcycles.
Stainless Steel Brake Corporation make plated rotors with aluminum hats.
This Patent talks about a
martensitic stainless steel for a disc brake rotor comprising, in mass percent, C:0.04-0.10%, Si: at most 1.0%, Mn: 0.1-2.0%, P: at most 0.04%, S: at most 0.01%, Cr: greater than 11.5 to 13.5%, Al: at most 0.1%, N: at most 0.04%, Cu: 0-1.0%, Ni: 0-1.0%, Ti: 0-0.03%, Mo: 0-1%
and one or more of
Nb: 0.01-0.08% and V:0.05-0.5%
Sooooo ...... it appears possible to have stainless steel rotors.

·
Latent car nut
9,220 Posts
They have stainless steel rotors for motorcycles.
Stainless Steel Brake Corporation make plated rotors with aluminum hats.
This Patent talks about a

Sooooo ...... it appears possible to have stainless steel rotors.
Anything is possible given enough thermal mass; the thing is, the thermal mass required for a motorcycle is way-WAY-WAY lower than what would be necessary for a minivan.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Anything is possible given enough thermal mass; the thing is, the thermal mass required for a motorcycle is way-WAY-WAY lower than what would be necessary for a minivan.
That and the brake pad material you will be using. You will not be able to use a semi-metallic brake pad with a stainless steel because of the galling that will take place between the two metals.

·
fix it if you can
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for your responses,

SSBC has the following parts:
http://www.ssbrakes.com/commerce/br...&year=2005&cat=Front Brakes&sub=Rotors & Pads
http://www.ssbrakes.com/commerce/br...=3.8,GAS,FI&cat=Rear Brakes&sub=Rotors & Pads

They are not cheap or inexpensive by any means, but I doubt that they are made from stainless steel... looking through their site, they talk about different "finishing" for rotors without mentioning any difference in composition..

While I'm not a metallurgist by any stretch of imagination, I'm aware of a wide range of stainless steel alloys that are used for different applications.. (including some airplane brake rotor applications)

I'm trying to research if there is a "rustless" alternatives to iron/steel rotors.. So far it doesn't look like there is..
The cost effectiveness is not just the cost of parts - it's also the time you put in to service them... (or $/hr you pay at the shop+down time)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Yes there is a rustless alternative. Ceramic. Available on a Corvette and some Italian vehicles for a lot of change.

·
Super Moderator
26,653 Posts
Yes there is a rustless alternative. Ceramic. Available on a Corvette and some Italian vehicles for a lot of change.
Yes, and the centers are stainless or aluminum. Admission to the club is expensive though, with names like:
Aston Martin, Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche are among those currently offering CCB. The 2009 Corvette ZR1 will be equipped with CCB, and there's talk that the 2010 Nissan GT-R V Spec will go the same route.

Porsche was the first to make CCB available (which it calls PCCB) on a production car, as optional equipment on the 2001 911 GT2. And the 2008 Boxster S, with its base list price of $55,700, is the most affordable path to CCB currently on the market — although the PCCB option will run you an additional $8,150. That's right: In the brave new world of CCB, "entry level" is north of $60 grand per http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techcenter/articles/130013/article.html

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Yes, and the centers are stainless or aluminum. Admission to the club is expensive though, with names like:
Those are well worth it to the road racers. Virtually fade free is a huge benefit in winning races. Someday I hope to be able to afford a car that needs those brakes.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts