The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Grand Caravan SE 3.3 L . Got into deep water Thursday in torrential rainstorm. Stalled it. Now it won't start, just one loud click from starter. tapped starter with hammer, no change.
Replaced starter, switched starter relay with one i knew to be working -(horn relay)
now the starter clicks multiple times when switched to 'start ' , but no cranking.

What should I check next? Thanks.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If it is clicking multiple times, it is either a weak battery or bad connection. Recheck the battery (put on charger or jump) and check battery connections. Its one of these.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Has the engine run at all since it stalled on Thursday? (i.e., did you re-start it Thursday and drive it home, and only now it's dead?) If it inhaled water, the engine could be water-locked.

- G

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Pull the spark plugs and see if it cranks. Or pull the dipstick and see if there is water on the stick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried jump, no change. Click, no crank.
Thank you for replying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Waterlock

No.
Had it towed home.
Havent heard of waterlock. I'll pull front plugs and try that.
Thank you.
Found this article on waterlock...
Ill look at air filter and see if it shows water damage.

http://www.croberts.com/Hydrostatic-lock.htm

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
IF its been hydrolocked, all is not lost. Unless the engine was at a higher than idle rpm, I can walk you through getting it going again.

My dads boat sank a couple years ago, and I had both engines running again with about 6 hours of work.

·
Latent car nut
9,199 Posts
IF its been hydrolocked, all is not lost. Unless the engine was at a higher than idle rpm, I can walk you through getting it going again.

My dads boat sank a couple years ago, and I had both engines running again with about 6 hours of work.
I've seen a number of hydrolocked engines, and the only one which avoided a complete rebuild or replacement "locked" at just above idle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How deap was this water?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts