The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help.

I have a 1989 Plymouth Voyager 2.5L Turbo minivan with just over 107k on it. Awhile back I had experienced a great deal of issues with the engine holding an idle. If I slowed down to come to a stop sign/light, it would stall and I would be forced to "double pedal it" where ever I needed to go (right foot holding the engine at about 1000 RPM, while using my left foot for the brake). I went away to college and left the van at home for two years and my dad had said that the problem had disappeared when he replaced a small piece of filter material in the air filter compartment which was heavily saturated with gunk. I came back home to take the car off of his hands for the summer and bring it back to school and everything was fine, that is until I needed to replace the driver side CV shaft. At that point, it was apparent that the fuel line had corroded as it was spewing gas all over the road while i was driving it. Once all of this work had been done, (and new belts were put on) the van ran like a new vehicle for a few days. Then, just yesterday, the idle problem came back to haunt me just as I was about to head home for the weekend. I am completely baffled and I just want this problem to go away permanently and without sinking too much more money into it. I feel that the vehicle has barely seen half of its life and I was hoping to use it for quite a while longer!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I need help.

I have a 1989 Plymouth Voyager 2.5L Turbo minivan with just over 107k on it. Awhile back I had experienced a great deal of issues with the engine holding an idle. If I slowed down to come to a stop sign/light, it would stall and I would be forced to "double pedal it" where ever I needed to go (right foot holding the engine at about 1000 RPM, while using my left foot for the brake). I went away to college and left the van at home for two years and my dad had said that the problem had disappeared when he replaced a small piece of filter material in the air filter compartment which was heavily saturated with gunk. I came back home to take the car off of his hands for the summer and bring it back to school and everything was fine, that is until I needed to replace the driver side CV shaft. At that point, it was apparent that the fuel line had corroded as it was spewing gas all over the road while i was driving it. Once all of this work had been done, (and new belts were put on) the van ran like a new vehicle for a few days. Then, just yesterday, the idle problem came back to haunt me just as I was about to head home for the weekend. I am completely baffled and I just want this problem to go away permanently and without sinking too much more money into it. I feel that the vehicle has barely seen half of its life and I was hoping to use it for quite a while longer!
Check the EGR valve and that little filter in side the air box again. Sounds like sludge build up. Maybe some one else can make some more inexpensive suggestions like cleaning the throttle body.

·
Registered
44 Posts
could be the idle speed control on the throttle body. Could be a loose connection or possible just bad. Is there any difference between a hot or cold engine? Also, with all of the vacuum lines on the turbo, verify they are all secure.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I would definitely look at ALL the vacuum lines. This is a vacuum leak symptom.
Especially, replace the PCV valve and the hose it's connected to. You probably never replaced it. Add a little more hose to it, to make it more easily accessible, too. Check/replace your hose to the brake booster. Also (for "Grins and Giggles"), see if there's any dirt / fluid build-up on the outside of the booster, directly under the master cylinder.

Get back to us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts