The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the starter in my 2000 Grand Voyager SE 3.3 flex fuel has the tell tale symptoms of contacts and plunger going bad. I would like to have them on hand before I actually pull the starter motor. Kits are available on Ebay and Amazon really cheap but they lack specific model application information. Instead they list 1.4kw 1.2kw 2.0kw and OSGR or gear reduction etc. I do know it is Nippon-Denso with 8mm bolt holes. So my question is which do I need?

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The copper contacts are the same, as long as the shape is the same as those in the auctions below, they will fit. I'm not sure if there are different lengths on the plunger or not, but I've rebuilt a couple, and they looked the same to me. I've done this on a '94 Eagle Vision and most recently on our '99 Dodge GC.

Below is one that states it fits your 2000. I'm not sure about the one contact though, it's steel and not copper. Seems odd, as I've only ever seen copper used for the contacts...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-Repair-Rebuild-Kit-Solenoid-Contact-Plunger-Set-Chrysler-Dodge-Plymouth-/260973082542?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2000|Make:Chrysler&hash=item3cc33537ae&vxp=mtr

This next one indicates that it's only for '90 to '92, but frankly looks identical to the above unit, but has both contact plates made of copper...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-REPAIR-REBUILD-KIT-SOLENOID-CONTACT-PLUNGER-SET-DENSO-/260958933394?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Chrysler&hash=item3cc25d5192&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply FeMaster. I bought the kit with the copper contacts after I compared them to contacts on a website that were for my starter. It would have cost me $48.92 total for the contacts and plunger from that site. The eBay kit came to $12.95 and is returnable so I think it's worth a try. Thanks again and I will post the results when I get the kit.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ouch, $48.02 is crazy! My first set I bought (for my '94 Eagle) I bought locally from a place called 12-Volt Auto Electric. I paid $7.65 with tax for the set. What a steal that was.

When my '99 Dodge needed them done, I went back to the location of the shop, and found it was no longer there. Searched the internet for the shop and found nothing but information about the old location and a disconnected phone number. I ended up buying a set off eBay, but cost me about $22 at the time.

About a month later, I saw the shop's van driving around the area, got the phone number and new address. I was a bit disappointed that I ended up paying so much, but at least I am prepared now if I ever need another set.

A quick heads up...
The set I bought locally wasn't a perfect fit. The guy told me when I bought the set that the plungers were good, but sometimes the contacts weren't formed quite right, and that I may need to work with them a bit, which I did, but only the contact with the longer protrusion. Before you put it back together, verify that the plunger moves freely up and down and doesn't rub, or catch, on either of the contacts. I only had to file a little bit off the inner edge on the longer one, and it worked fine after that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the price was crazy too! Heck, for the price of two sets I could get a starter from Auto Zone but who wants to do that? Thanks for the heads up info. I have files and I'm not afraid to use them:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I spent a good chunk of a beautiful Sunday afternoon under my Grand Voyager while the motorcycle sat in the driveway but it was worth it. The contacts and plunger fit without modifying anything. That part of the job took about 5 min but removing and replacing the starter was not easy. I came really close to taking the front motor mount off because of where the bolts are but I managed to get them out with about a million tiny wrench cranks. I'm sure there is a better way or better tool but what the heck, I saved myself some dough.

Thanks FeMaster. Your reply helped a bunch!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Glad it was helpful! My '99 was same, the part replacement went quick, it was getting the darn thing out and then back in again that was the problem, like you said.

And the same here with the wrench. It was such a tight squeeze that there was no way to get a socket and ratchet up in there, even my thinnest set was too long to fit. I ended up using a standard wrench to do the initial loosening and final tightening, but thankfully I have a set of ratcheting wrenches that really helped out the process in between. Still it was a lot of ratcheting in the cramped space with little swing room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts