The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing the starter on my 08 Caravan. The bottom bolt came out easy, the top bolt is actually a stud, I got the nut off but can’t get out the stud. Any ideas

·
Registered
459 Posts
Do you have room to put two nuts on the stud and twist them together by turning one clockwise and the other counter clockwise? This method will lock the stud to the nuts and it may help you with getting the stud out.

·
Super Moderator
23,297 Posts
A stud there, for what purpose? Maybe someone stripped the threads and put in a bolt. A slight tap with a hammer might work.. Maybe the starter will slide off over it anyway.

What I have found is that even though there are three holes in the starter bracket, only two are used for bolting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have room to put two nuts on the stud and twist them together by turning one clockwise and the other counter clockwise? This method will lock the stud to the nuts and it may help you with getting the stud out.
Yes I tried that very hard to get at, but thanks for the advice. Talked to dealership today and they gave some more insight, will look when I’m home

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It turns out that the top bolt has a stud attached to the head, holding on a ground wire. I removed the nut and the ground wire and found the head of the bolt. This is only done by feel as it is under the exhaust manifold. No u tube video showed this. But now I know and so do you. A deep socket went over the stud and caught the head of the bolt, came out easy. Thanks for your input

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,038 Posts
It turns out that the top bolt has a stud attached to the head, holding on a ground wire. I removed the nut and the ground wire and found the head of the bolt. This is only done by feel as it is under the exhaust manifold. No u tube video showed this. But now I know and so do you. A deep socket went over the stud and caught the head of the bolt, came out easy. Thanks for your input
Glad you solved your problem.

You didn't mentioned it was a ground wire attached to that bolt.

You didn't mentioned that nut was too small to securely hold the starter, otherwise someone would've suggested something.

·
Super Moderator
23,297 Posts
Well I guess I’m learning... still at 60
G C Trucksters suggestion would have worked, most likely. Been there, done that.

Ordinarily, when you see a stud like that, there will be a hex shape to grab onto for removal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should have known that but was tired and frustrated and I guess wasn’t thinking. Now I know and will always look further. Hopefully this post will help anyone else in my situation

·
Super Moderator
23,297 Posts
Did your starter have three holes, one being a blank, not used. I have heard of the third hole containing a stud at times. Wonder why the difference.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,038 Posts
Did your starter have three holes, one being a blank, not used. I have heard of the third hole containing a stud at times. Wonder why the difference.
That is a good question. Let us know what that ground is used for.

This is what I found regarding that ground stud:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did have the extra hole, I stuck a screw driver in the hole to help me line up the stater, this was a big help to line up other bolts. Not sure what the ground was for, found it interesting that none of the U Tube videos I watched mentioned it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts