The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Chrysler LXi with near 200K on the odometer.http://forum.chryslerminivan.org/images/uploadedsmilies/biggrin.gif
About a year ago it started this problem that has yet to be diagnosed. And it has been repeating frequently lately. But of course when the mechanic gets to it: no problem!
I turn it on as usual and then it shuts off. After several tries, I give up. Sometimes waiting several minutes and it will start fine. Sometimes even overnight and after a tow it still won't. There is no cause and effect related to it. Not weather, driving conditions or fuel. Once it is OK no tel tale maladies.
I have yet to hear a definitive theory. Anyone out there find the fix?

·
Registered
408 Posts
You may be experiencing an electrical intermittent. If you haven't resoldered the instrument cluster connector I would do that and then check the HVAC connector on the HVAC module to see if it's affecting the data exchange bus to the PCM.

·
5000 Club
5,680 Posts

·
5000 Club
5,680 Posts
skimm means nothing on 3rd gen vans,we do not have coded keys.imo your problem is with the dash solder joints.
Right you are and thanks for the correction. Chrysler introduced the SKIS system sometime in mid/late 90s. Caravans and T&C didn't see them till 2001. The devil is always in the details.

·
5000 Club
5,680 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Do you know what the mechanic checked?

I tend to look at simple things first....Are the battery cables good? Are the battery terminals clean? Did someone check output on alternator? (I just replaced mine due to intermittent voltage spikes making the van freak out) Does your van have proper fuel pressure? If not, is it the filter or pump? Is the air filter clean?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts