The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once in a while, my steering wheel will not move, usually at slow speeds, but it's a... You know kind of a thing of concern. It happens more when it's really cold out, in the parking lot, or at the first one or two turns. I of course stop and pull hard and it's like something releases like it's bound up. Has anyone experienced this? I have replaced the PS fluid with synthetic ATF a while back.
The AC went out and I see the clutch doesn't kick on or off. I checked the relay and fuses. I am considering a new AC compressor and while this is being done, maybe a water pump and new idler pulley. I also need new tires. Yes, I will be spending a few bucks. It's Cheaper than a new vehicle. 166,000 miles on my 03. I don't drive much.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The proper power steering fluid for you vehicle is atf+4. Not certain what synthetic atf you used but I would suggest replacig with licensed atf+4. Also check the screen at the bottom of the ps reservior; if it is partially clogged it may not be allowing the cold ps fluid through quick enough.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,427 Posts
Sounds like the 'morning sickness' that plagued GM vehicles in the 80s and 90s.

On those cars, the hard steering when cold was caused by worn bores in the steering rack. Many rack rebuilders fitted sleeves that fixed the issue.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I had a '96 Impala SS that would occasionally mechanically lock-up the steering when starting into a turn. Scared the **** outta me the first time it happened as I was turning right into a parking lot. Ended up making a much wider turn than intended... taking up the entire outgoing lane, which was fortunately void of other cars at that moment! To unlock it, I had to turn the wheel back left slightly and then continue with the right turn, hoping it didn't lock up again. Got pretty good at emergency execution of that maneuver. Turned out to be caused by the belt slipping due to water dripping on it from a water pump leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts