The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I DON'T live in an Igloo!
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would mention this as I am noticing the silver finish coming off my 2008 LTD's steering wheel. Right now it is clearly on the left spoke (in the "9" position). I only have 36k on my van so I am quite disappointed with the durability of this part. What will it look like after 100k?

Yes, I guess I could go in and get it changed, and I might. However I have only 6 months left until I return it so I wonder how many trips I would need prior to it actually getting changed out / piece on order etc.

In any case, I 'll try and get a pic tonight (I'm at work right now) but still disappointing quality.

·
Registered
56 Posts
have an '08 t&c touring....we are noticing the same thing...we tend to jokingly say it's the ghost that makes the sat radio chose its own stations at random that is doing this as well!

·
Registered
66 Posts
YES! Just on the left spoke.
I thought it might be my metal watchband but observed it does not ever come in contact with the steering wheel or spoke.
What's up with this?

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YES! Just on the left spoke.
I thought it might be my metal watchband but observed it does not ever come in contact with the steering wheel or spoke.
What's up with this?
Painted area + hands on surface = wear. D'Uh, Chrysler.

·
1000 Post Club Member
1,985 Posts
This is why every manufacturer should forgo such an opulence unless it can be real chrome.Fake chrome/silver anodizing may look ok new,but once the vehicle is used,the truth comes out.Whatever happened to the simple days of painted vinyl?

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know, I don't really have that much of an issue with manufacturers using the silver paint. It is just WHERE and how much they use it. Our LTD has it used in large areas in the front. On the steering wheel (Not really well thought out) and a large piece down the centre stack.

I know some other cars, like the Infiniti G35's that would use it all along the centre stack and past the gear shift. Where you rest your hands, keys, cell phone, big gulp (lol) etc. Scratching it will happen.

·
Registered
226 Posts
We've already had to replace the same steering wheel for one of our customers... Luckily for them they brought their minivan in just before the 3/36 warranty was up.

I can not stress how important it is to swing by your local Dealer and show them the discoloration and have them note that these things are happening. Many people don't want to be inconvenienced, and put things off until they get worse or annoyed with the situation, When they finally do come in, it's too late for their concerns to be covered under warranty.
At the very least, take a picture as well as a picture of the Odometer if you can't get to the dealer right away. Be sure to make a few copies.

They can explain all day until they are blue in the face, that their concern started before the warranty expired, but without taking it to the dealer and mentioning it, ( make sure your repair order states your concern) most will find they are SOL.

I do sympathize with you folks, I see these parts and many of those parts that are a common issue like the stabilizer links/bushings... Watching how the designs have changed and often wondering if Chrysler has really cut back on expenses and has hired chimps to design these parts :biggrin:

·
1000 Post Club Member
1,985 Posts
My old 77 Cordoba seemingly had an adhesive backed matte silver applique on the wheel spokes/horn button strips.Lasted long enough for it to go to the scrap yard.So,things have slipped in that area.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I just checked mine and the paint is still like new at almost 17,000 miles. I believe that's because I never found it comfortable to rest my hand on that part. I hold the wheel elsewhere or just rest my thumb on the leather part between the silver plastic and the circular part of the wheel. I even tried holding it there to see what it would feel like and I couldn't find a comfortable way to hold it. I guess that's lucky for me.

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my BMW driver training courses as well as my Formula 2000 courses, we were always told to grip the wheel at 10 and 2. Obviously my LTD is not a race-ready M3, but I find myself getting more "relaxed" and shifting to 9 and 3. On long trips I find myself fiddling with my right hand scanning the Satellite stations or resting my hand elsewhere as opposed to the wheel. My left is seemingly always on the spoke, so...more wear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts