The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
For what it's worth, my '14 had the reverse shudder from day one, along with an occasional nasty clunk when shifting from R to D. The shudder was very noticeable when backing up an incline. I was assured that this was 'normal'... After hitting about 60-70,000 km (give or take...), I needed new tranny cooler lines. I asked the dealer to update the tranny software while they had it - I had read that a recent update addressed those exact issues. They did, and 100,000 km later, it hasn't shuddered once in reverse, or done a single R-D clunk.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Then you don't need to replace ATF that often. 🤣
You clearly missed this: /s
Remain ignorant on the inner workings of a transmission if you'd like, just stop spreading your ignorance to everyone else. People like yourself are why Chrysler transmissions have a bad name.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,053 Posts
You clearly missed this: /s
Remain ignorant on the inner workings of a transmission if you'd like, just stop spreading your ignorance to everyone else. People like yourself are why Chrysler transmissions have a bad name.
Ignorant? looks who the ignorant is, 30-50k? that's really ignorant, not even the factory recommends that often, no one will follow your stupid advice:

30-50k is a proper interval. If you're running almost 200k on fluid and filter, it's no wonder all your vans have shuddered...
Over 1,000,000 miles on the last couple of years without a single transmission failure should tell you something.

I never recommend anyone to do what I do (you can search my previous posts).

There are more members here who never change ATF either and never have a problem.

I can also asure you most (I don't want to say "all"), who had transmission problems, had a ATF change before the transmission failure.

Again, all my transmissions are running perfectly after 1000's of miles (many thousands indeed).

You should be careful on who you try to insult before you even think about it. You can be banned for that.

·
Registered
532 Posts
198k, never serviced transmission, wondering why it's shuddering..................

Wonder if there's a connection between failing to do proper maintenance and things not working right?
Except ours did this from 25 miles to 78,000 miles, wasn’t maintenance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Again, what a range sensor had to do with his problem?
From what I've been told trs keep car in park and has a lever that controls gears. If the trs is breaking then it's not goin all the way to park and cant start, my friend was having car randomly shutting off in idle shop sad trans rebuild he took to tranny shop changed sensor and all been fine sense 3 years ago.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,053 Posts
From what I've been told trs keep car in park and has a lever that controls gears. If the trs is breaking then it's not goin all the way to park and cant start, my friend was having car randomly shutting off in idle shop sad trans rebuild he took to tranny shop changed sensor and all been fine sense 3 years ago.
When a gear sensor fails, the car might not start, but once vehicle started, it would not turn off.

A very bad range sensor might bring your vehicle into limp mode (not very likely), but engine will not die.

Often, a failed range sensor will not allow you to start your vehicle in park, but if you shift to neutral, it will start.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ignorant? looks who the ignorant is, 30-50k? that's really ignorant, not even the factory recommends that often, no one will follow your stupid advice:

Over 1,000,000 miles on the last couple of years without a single transmission failure should tell you something.

I never recommend anyone to do what I do (you can search my previous posts).

There are more members here who never change ATF either and never have a problem.

I can also asure you most (I don't want to say "all"), who had transmission problems, had a ATF change before the transmission failure.

Again, all my transmissions are running perfectly after 1000's of miles (many thousands indeed).

You should be careful on who you try to insult before you even think about it. You can be banned for that.
Threaten all you want. If this is the extent of "knowledge" that's on this forum it's not a place worth wasting my time on.

I have noticed a nice trend though, when you realize you're ignorant on a subject you instantly threaten banning instead of manning up and saying "I'm sorry I was wrong".

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had a 2015 Caravan that studdered or "shuddered" when backing my trailer up an inclined driveway. My 2019 Caravan does it as well. It is a combination of soft motor mounts, torque converter tuning, and throttle tuning.

Try backing up two footed, to cure it. One foot on brake, one on gas. Slightly raise the rpm's and modulate the brake pedal to control speed. This preloads the engine mounts and stops the drivetrain from bouncing back and forth. That trick has worked on my two vans.
My 2012 Caravan does the same thing when backing my boat trailer up my inclined driveway. The boat trailer is pretty light.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts