The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Grand Caravan SXT that is 26 months old (since purchase new by me) with 7600 miles. It had sat on the dealers’ lot for 6 months before my purchase. Always garage kept and out off the sun light. (It could pass for new). I live in central Florida about 4 miles from the east coast.

After reading that all of the auto manufactures with bad Takata air bags were prioritizing replacements to those vehicles that were in the south with high humidity, I decided to do what I could to protect my systems even though my van is not one that is being recalled for the Takata air bags.

Because the problem is most associated with vehicles in high humidity areas of the country, I decided to see just how much moisture was in my van. I purchased a 3 pack of DampRid from Walmart, the type that is meant to hang on a cloths pole. I hung 1 pack on the rear head rest of the 3rd row seat facing the rear tailgate. 1 week later there is about 3/4 cup of water in the bottom of the DampRid collection bag. A week later, a humidity gauge shows interior humidity of 52%.

Although all my driving is done with the A/C on in re-circulation mode, and the windows are always closed, I’m surprised how much water has already been drawn out. I think that I will do this for all the high humidity months. Does anyone see a problem with this?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
thank you for the info I think I'll do that with mine during the summer months from now on.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,110 Posts
That's actually a pretty cool test for humidity. I don't see a problem with this at all.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,436 Posts
Never seen those packs. Is any way to re-seal them when not in use?

I believe most of that water is collected during the time the vehicle is not in use. A/C should remove most humidity when running, that is the reason why re-circulation mode should not be used for long periods of time, you need some humidity to feel confortable.

Should be interesting to also do your testing only when using your vehicle with A/C running, but not sure if this is even possible.

Thanks for sharing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts