The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me 2 years, but I finally found a set of Eibach springs that exist, and they are in the mail headed to me! I've bought this set 4 times in the past, and the seller always responds that they cant put hands on it and refunds the purchase.

I found a set of Koni Shocks too, front and rear, and the ADDCO Swaybars. Need to order those next.

Lastly, I want to grab a 2001-2007 rear end at the junkyard and weigh it, it looks like it might be lighter than the 3rd gen since it is stamped instead of cast, lighter means better handling and ride quality due to reduced unsprung weight.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did the rear end yesterday, and the front springs today.

Here's the OEM hanger and shackle next to the Eibach set.

OEM spring on the left, Eibach on the right.

I only drove it a little. It's exactly 2" dropped in the front, and 2" in the rear. I took pictures of fender gap and ride height with a tape measure before and after, I'll upload tomorrow.

Handles really well. It is noticable driving that it is lower and slightly stiffer, but the ride isn't harsh. Took it through a really curvy road, it did really well, body roll seed greatly reduced. My tires seem to be the weak link now.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,563 Posts
Wow, forgot how good your van looks especially with those Challenger wheels! I like what you're doing.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,227 Posts
can you post some measurements for us to make replicas of the eibach suspension kit (rear bits specifically)
His rear suspension for 3rd gen is way different than yours and mine 2005 thru 2007 4th gen.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,227 Posts
would still be helpful for 3rd gen guys
On the 4th gen vans, there are 2 spots, one on each side of the axle beam, that are vacant where those short springs Special Edy shows could work. I thought long and hard about putting springs there. Then I found the Monroe coil-over-shocks instead.

3rd gens and the 2001-2004 4th gens are so much easier to lower AND to keep a comfortable ride and load capacity. Our DailmerChrysler cost saving 2005-2007 rear suspension is CRAP. No, there are thread out there about people SWAPPING early 4th gen axles to the later 4th gen vans. I thought about that too. But, $$$$.

I had bought a 1994 Dodge caravan slightly used. Then spent additional money on her for upgrades and other nice added options, about $3K. Then some jerk crashed into the van totaling it a year later. I lost all money put into that van as the insurance only gives you the general replacement rate for the brand make and model. Thus, I'm a bit cautious spending big dollars for upgrades. It only takes on person on the road to take out your improved ride.

I have about $1,500 in upgrades to my 2006 4th gen. And those upgrades were on the frugal side to get more upgrades for the dollar.

I sort of envy of others that have awesome rides here. I enjoy reading about these rides, even Special Edy who has done some really deep engine and transmission internal component changes. Its remarkable finding out what can be done for engines spanning 3 decades. So SWEET !

Reactions: Road Ripper

·
3rd gen > all others
4,563 Posts
The rear suspension is basically the same for the 4th gen vans. Same rear springs used, as far as dimensions. The 2005-2007 long wheelbase vans handled worse because of stow N go, forcing the rear of the van to be raised slightly.

The difference in the front hanger mounting holes for the rear leaf springs is for the utilization of different holes for short wheelbase vans. Those vans were shortened just in front of the rear wheels, so to use the same pieces during platform construction they had all the holes and nuts put in. My 2001 parts van (long wheelbase) had them, and allowed me to use the shorter leaf springs from a 2nd gen van on it to keep it a roller.

Reactions: Mopar-Mofun

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,227 Posts
The rear suspension is basically the same for the 4th gen vans. Same rear springs used, as far as dimensions. The 2005-2007 long wheelbase vans handled worse because of stow N go, forcing the rear of the van to be raised slightly.

The difference in the front hanger mounting holes for the rear leaf springs is for the utilization of different holes for short wheelbase vans. Those vans were shortened just in front of the rear wheels, so to use the same pieces during platform construction they had all the holes and nuts put in. My 2001 parts van (long wheelbase) had them, and allowed me to use the shorter leaf springs from a 2nd gen van on it to keep it a roller.
When you look on the 2001-2004 under T&C or Chrysler Voyager, there is a trim level with a HD rear suspension. This has multiple leafs. The length is 1/2 that of the 2005-2007 offerings. Is this for the SWB then?

WOW, those come with a 3,000-lb capacity of 6 leafs.
Suspension Leaf Spring Leaf Spring 3000+ lb Load Rating Parts | RockAuto

So the SWB 2001-2004 can take advantage of upgrading the rear suspension. nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts