The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Switching to E85...anything I need to know?

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  IAfarmer 
#1 ·
I own a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan that is flexfuel but in the several years I've owned it I never considered using E85. Now with the price difference between E85 and regular gas I'm thinking about making the switch. Is there anything I need to know before doing so? Should I switch to synthetic oil before using E85? The sictker on the gas door says consult owners manual before using E85 and I can't seem to find mine at the moment....
Thanks!

#2 ·
Gas mileage will decrease a bit by using e85. I run it in my DGC but only have a couple mile drive to/from work each day. For long hauls regular gas is better.

No, you don't have to change anything.. unless it's time to change the oil...

#3 ·
There are no special needs for E-85 use. The only real stipulation is you need to change the oil every 3000 miles (rather than a longer interval that you may be using). The manual also used to call for a special oil, but that requirement has since been rescinded by Dodge.

So go use it and have fun. My parents just converted their 2006 Wrangler to run it. He's buying it for about $2.87 in Colorado Springs.

#4 ·
Been running it in my wife's van now for about 4 months. The mileage went from 16 city to 13.5 city. E-85 is priced $0.95 less than gasoline here. No changed to the van were necessary.

I have not changed my oil change interval. GM did not recommend any different mileage intervals for my Silverado that runs on E-85 exclusively, and has since new. I change every 6 months regardless of mileage, mostly due to the fact that we only use the van in town and rarely take it on the highway, other than major vacation trips every couple of years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.