The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all that run Synthetic look at promotion for Pennzoil Platinum. I can get it for 22.68 for 5 qt. container and Shell is giving a 22 gift card with the purchase so it brings it down to .68. I still have to purchase an extra qt. but still cheap.

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
They are giving it away. Why so? Can't be any good. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
They are giving it away. Why so? Can't be any good. :)
$39.99 at the local auto part store, $22.68 at a certain large retail establishment whose name rhymes with Walmart.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is it worth it guys? I've been running my vans on MOB1 for years but wonder if it has been worth the extra cost? The only difference now, is I change my oil 5000 miles or every 6 months instead of every 3k. When our deposed caravan was about 6 years old, I had just switched to full synthetic and I dropped the oil pan to change the gasket and clean it out. I was amazed that there was no gunk or deposits in there and the magnet was clean, so conventional oil had been fine but was getting changed every 3k.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it worth it guys? I've been running my vans on MOB1 for years but wonder if it has been worth the extra cost? The only difference now, is I change my oil 5000 miles or every 6 months instead of every 3k. When our deposed caravan was about 6 years old, I had just switched to full synthetic and I dropped the oil pan to change the gasket and clean it out. I was amazed that there was no gunk or deposits in there and the magnet was clean, so conventional oil had been fine but was getting changed every 3k.
It's worth the.68 cents LOL
Conventional oils are for the most part semi synthetic so 5k is more than doable. The only reason to run Synthetic is I can go a year instead of 9 month interval. In other words 5k in 9 months or 7k a year in most cases that is 8.00 more

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
Been slow on here for the past several hours, so thought I might stir things up with a rant. :)

Before "synthetic" petroleum oil, there was "conventional" petroleum oil, mostly 10W-30, that I remember. Engines lasted 100s of thousands of miles, if properly maintained, with likely two oil changes per oil filter replacement. Air filters, back then, to keep dirt out of the engine, well that's another story.

"Synthetic" petroleum oil is a lot of hype and extra cost for nothing unless the oil change interval is extended to something like 20,000 km, (12,000 miles). "Conventional" petroleum oil can go 10,000 km (6,000 miles) plus, for a year.

The "additive package", which all motor oils have in order to meet specifications, takes up to 25% of the volume of the oil. They aren't petroleum based as far as I know, synthetic if you will.

Additives have three basic roles:
  • Enhance existing base oil properties with antioxidants, corrosion inhibitors, anti-foam agents and demulsifying agents.
  • Suppress undesirable base oil properties with pour-point depressants and viscosity index (VI) improvers.
  • Impart new properties to base oils with extreme pressure (EP) additives, detergents, metal deactivators and tackiness agents.
Some conventional oils, like Valvoline Daily Protection 5W-20 and 5W-30 are actually "synthetic" blends, containing some % (likely fairly low) of "synthetic" oil.

Go for a good brand name conventional oil (unknown quality of additive package in House brands, base oil is likely fine*), select a reasonable oil change interval, smile, be happy, save some $. Otherwise use synthetic and go double miles between oil changes, less work, less filter changes, make your $ go further..

*Motor oils go through a blending process. One of the items blended in is the additive package. Brand X may have base oil B and additive package P, whereas House Brand X may have base oil B and additive package Q. One might think they are the same product but who knows. It's all about cost. House brands are cheaper for a reason.

When a synthetic oil isn't a synthetic oil? Most commonly referred to "synthetic" motor oils are highly refined petroleum base stocks or natural gas.

Pennzoil Platinum®: Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus Technology™
PurePlus Technology™ is our patented, revolutionary gas-to-liquid process which converts natural gas into a first-of-its-kind, high quality full synthetic base oil. Because our base oil is made from natural gas, it is clear with fewer of the impurities found in crude oil, the start for many other traditional and synthetic motor oils. To that pure, clear base we add our high performance additives to create Pennzoil Platinum® with PurePlus Technology™, motor oil designed for complete engine protection, without compromise.

Pennzoil Platinum® Full Synthetic motor oil with with PurePlus Technology™ keeps pistons up to 30% cleaner than required by the toughest industry standard1 and keeps your engine cleaner than any leading synthetic oil.2
I guess we should all be going to Pennzoil Platinum®: Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus Technology™. Why the heck not if we want the best for our engines. Don't be content with any other "synthetic". This product is the bestest. :)

Well, there's another base oil level. It's Group IV, petroleum oil/gas "free", base oil. Check out Castrol 0W-30 European Formula, made in Germany**, for example.
Castrol EDGE 0W-30 A3/B4 : https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/2361E4CB24F012588025837100563324/$File/BPXE-B8779R.pdf
Compare the cold Pour Point with what you are using. It rules in that respect.

** Didn't the Germans invent synthetic fuel?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you ever searched UOA. What I find is no difference in 5k oil changes but 10k most Synthetic oils handle this. Reason I don't run Pennzoil Platinum in my Caravan is flashpoint is low after a long run. I put this up for people who want a cheap oil change. This oil will work for 5k.

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Up until now I have always used conventional oil in my vehicles.

In this case I purchased 0W20 oil for my Jeep Compass, and as far as I can tell you can't buy 0w20 conventional oil, the closest I could find that meets the MS-6395 specification is Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend, but no one around here stocks it, and it is the same price as the full synthetic if I order it.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,581 Posts
As far as I can remember, "synthetic oil" started as oil from plants, not from petroleum.

I remember thinking, if you wear a shirt made of "synthetic fibers", that meant it was made from petroleum products.

Then, synthetic oil was made from other than petroleum products, weird.

Anybody remember synthetic oil derived from jojoba?

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
Up until now I have always used conventional oil in my vehicles.

In this case I purchased 0W20 oil for my Jeep Compass, and as far as I can tell you can't buy 0w20 conventional oil, the closest I could find that meets the MS-6395 specification is Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend, but no one around here stocks it, and it is the same price as the full synthetic if I order it.
Apparently there's no "conventional" motor oil with 0W-?? designation. Some of the "high mileage" oils are blends and they have a 0W-20, Valvoline High Mileage with Maxlife Technology, for example:

Why 0W anyway, is there that much difference? The rumor is that the Army's arctic oil is 5W-30 synthetic. :)

·
Latent car nut
8,888 Posts
As a general rule, the carbon chains in conventional oil is too impure to achieve a 0W-anything grade specification. That said, there are a few 0W-20 semi-synthetic offerings (Honda branded oil among them).

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
As far as I can remember, "synthetic oil" started as oil from plants, not from petroleum.

I remember thinking, if you wear a shirt made of "synthetic fibers", that meant it was made from petroleum products.

Then, synthetic oil was made from other than petroleum products, weird.

Anybody remember synthetic oil derived from jojoba?
During the 1920s to 1940s, with diesel engines, gas engines and cars, trucks and airplanes in mind, Germany needed petroleum, which was in very short supply, but they had lots of coal instead. So what did they do.
German scientists and engineers invented and developed two processes that enabled them to synthesize petroleum from their country's abundant coal supplies and to establish the world's first technologically successful synthetic liquid fuel industry.
These synthetic fuel plants were the targets of Allied bombing attacks.

Jojoba oil, isn't that just for cosmetic products? Well, maybe not. :)

Synthetic Jojoba Oil is mixture of wax esters of fatty acids and alcohols that is indistinguishable from natural jojoba oil with regard to chemical composition and physical characteristics.
In 1943, natural resources of the U.S, including jojoba oil, were used during war as additives to motor oil, transmission oil and differential gear oil. Machine guns were lubricated and maintained with jojoba.
How about some synthetic whale oil for transmission fluid?

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
Sperm whale?

The trouble was, thousands of sperm whales were killed every year to acquire the almost 29 million pounds of whale oil used in ATF. Sperm whale oil is an almost pure ester, not really an oil at all. So the Endangered Species Act of 1973 was brought about partly by automatic transmissions.
Spanish explorer Hernando Cortez was introduced to a medicinal skin oil and lubricant that the Aztecs used called Jojoba. It is almost the chemical duplicate of spermaceti, the oil from the head of the sperm whale. Both are esters, not (hydrocarbon) oils. Esters occur when an acid is reacted with an alcohol. Esters have strong atomic bonds and do not oxidize easily, They do however handle heat well. Rapeseed or canola oil is also in this category and is used in some transmission additives.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts