The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What rear wiper blade are you using, would like one that keeps contact with the window for a full sweep.
Thanks
Dan

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
324 Posts
You can get all of the brands available locally on RockAuto for a fraction of the price.
So just buy yourself a top of the line Bosch Icon or whatever online, for about the same price as you'd pay for the cheapest blade at your local store, and be done with it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
just went down to wallmart and picked up the cheapest one that said it fit my van in their little book

never had any trouble with it not contacting, i've heard of vehicles that have that problem but i'm not sure these vans do

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,538 Posts
just went down to wallmart and picked up the cheapest one that said it fit my van in their little book

never had any trouble with it not contacting, i've heard of vehicles that have that problem but i'm not sure these vans do
Sometimes cheaper is better.

Those fancy blades often doesn't behave as they should.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

OK, what brand is it? I've tried Bosch icon and they don't lay flat!
Dan

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
OK, what brand is it? I've tried Bosch icon and they don't lay flat!
Dan
Go to a shorter wiper blade, like 16", easier on your motor.

Articulation is important. Some blade types don't articulate well.

·
fix it if you can
4,736 Posts
What rear wiper blade are you using, would like one that keeps contact with the window for a full sweep.
Thanks
Dan
You need to take the arm off and lube and free up the pivot hinge for the spring. If you soak it in ATF and then heat it up with a torch and press a candle to the pivot it will coat the contact points with parafin and you won't have that problem anymore - simply soaking it with lube works for 2-6months...

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
324 Posts
You might also have a worn out wiper arm. The spring in the wiper arm stretches over time, and can provide inadequate pressure such that the wiper blade doesn't fully contour to the glass surface or leaves smears when the wiper blade hydroplanes over the water in certain spots.

The cheaper hinged/jointed style wiper blades should require less force to contour to the shape of the glass than the higher end ones which must be flexed into shape.

$11 for the rear wiper arm on RockAuto if a new blade doesn't fix the problem.

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
Rear Hatch Wiper - Clean Sweep:

·
Registered
23 Posts
purchased a 19" Rain-X L attitude (beam type), bent the very tip of it more and it contacts the whole window except for maybe 1" from the very top. Reason I went with the larger blade is because I have a rear camera that is being used for my rear view mirror. Since its mounted high, I needed the wiper to wipe higher up and clean the view of the camera.

FYI if the wiper streaks, take a clean wet cloth and wipe the blade to clean it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might also have a worn out wiper arm. The spring in the wiper arm stretches over time, and can provide inadequate pressure such that the wiper blade doesn't fully contour to the glass surface or leaves smears when the wiper blade hydroplanes over the water in certain spots.

The cheaper hinged/jointed style wiper blades should require less force to contour to the shape of the glass than the higher end ones which must be flexed into shape.

Thanks, never thought about the wiper arm! It was dragging a bit so I freed it up and oiled it. This should help, I needed a new blade and have a Rain X latitude on the way.
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, never thought about the wiper arm! It was dragging a bit so I freed it up and oiled it. This should help, I needed a new blade and have a Rain X latitude on the way.
Thanks
Dan
That was it, the blade works fine nowThanks
Dan

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You need to take the arm off and lube and free up the pivot hinge for the spring. If you soak it in ATF and then heat it up with a torch and press a candle to the pivot it will coat the contact points with parafin and you won't have that problem anymore - simply soaking it with lube works for 2-6months...
That was the problem!
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
910 Posts

This is exactly what I have experienced over the years - any lack of contact is a lack of spring tension in the arm combined (in my case, up here in the rust belt) with a dirty/rusty hinge.

As far as blades go, I'm not as picky for what goes back there as long as it's the right length.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I had this same issue years ago. I media blasted the entire arm to remove all the rust and chipping paint, painted it and problem solved. I still like to pray some WD40 on the pivot point before winter to prevent it stiffing up again. Check out this video I did. Skip ahead to 3:53 to see how bad the rear wiper arm was.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine has never seen snow or salt, so it was pretty easy fix the issue. All three arms were repainted a couple of years ago.
Dan

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
324 Posts
I had this same issue years ago. I media blasted the entire arm to remove all the rust and chipping paint, painted it and problem solved. I still like to pray some WD40 on the pivot point before winter to prevent it stiffing up again. Check out this video I did. Skip ahead to 3:53 to see how bad the rear wiper arm was.

You want to use Penetrating Lubricant or a light oil.
WD-40 is not marketed as a lubricant, only as a rust inhibitor and water displacer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts