The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I've dug into the Takata airbags recall, because I saw that a lot of vehicles at pick and pull get their airbags cut (when undeployed) to prevent people from installing them into other vehicles. At first, it wasn't all clear to me because vehicles which were not affected by any recalls for airbags would have their airbags sliced. This includes my 2013 VW Jetta, which had been in a front end accident and required a new driver steering wheel airbag.

It wasn't aware of what exactly was going on, nor was I aware of the full extent of the issue. A brief recap, Takata is one of the largest airbag manufacturers in the world, and they made a lot of airbags for almost every automotive company out there. Along they way, they cost cut and decided to use a cheaper alternative chemical which allows the airbag to inflate during deployment. This chemical is ammonium nitrate. The problem with ammonium nitrate is it is quite unstable and can be broken down with moisture and other factors. When this breakdown happens and the airbag is detonated, the propellant will burn too quickly causing excessive pressure in the inflator cartridge, which could cause the inflator cartridge to explode sending metal fragments towards the occupant.

Here is an article for anyone who wants to read through and learn more information Takata Airbags classaction.com
Here is a video which talks about the issues for those who do not like to read Youtube Takata Airbags

So anyways, this leads me to which vehicles are affected. Not all the vehicles which use this style airbag inflator (that is possibly explosive) are listed because some just hadn't been discovered yet or flagged as problematic yet.
On the list includes several Dodge, Jeep, Ram, and Chrysler vehicles, a short list is below from the TC Canada official website, this is a screenshot of only part of the page:
Font Parallel Number Screenshot Pattern

Okay I take it back the list is not that short, but among all the vehicles listed, our Dodge Caravans/Town&Countrys' are not mentioned anywhere so far. Makes me wonder if our vans will also be included in this list in the future, anyone know who made the actual inflator that is in our van's airbags?

In the list is also many VW and Audi group vehicles, but interestingly my 2013 Jetta or any Jetta for that matter are not listed at all. I'm curious if they used a different supplier for the Jetta, because a lot of VW's use similar components between the vehicle lines. Although I only looked at the cosmetic appearance, the steering wheel airbag of my Jetta looks identical to that of the same year Passat and Golf, which are affected by the recall. Maybe only time will tell as scary as it sounds.

I'm sure a few of you have had the unfortunate experience of having been in a collision where the airbags did deploy. It's really not a good experience but it's meant to save your life. Some of you had vans with the airbag emblem recall, which includes my 2009 SE that the dealer replaced the DAB cover a few months ago. Some complained about the risk of the emblem becoming a projectile in the event of deployment, but imagine if instead of the emblem, it's actual pieces of metal from the inflator itself.

·
Registered
2014 Ram C/V, black, delete seats, windows, factory hitch
185 Posts
We had the recall done in our Nissan Versa only recently (about 18 months ago), as prior to that the dealerships kept saying "they had no instructions from Nissan". Now I read that many of these were replaced with similar, but newer versions of the same airbag. I recently T-boned a Ford that ran an intersection and crumpled the nose of the Versa, and thankfully the airbag did not deploy (we were going about 40 mph at the time). I never want to test it to see if its a "good" one or not.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had the recall done in our Nissan Versa only recently (about 18 months ago), as prior to that the dealerships kept saying "they had no instructions from Nissan". Now I read that many of these were replaced with similar, but newer versions of the same airbag. I recently T-boned a Ford that ran an intersection and crumpled the nose of the Versa, and thankfully the airbag did not deploy (we were going about 40 mph at the time). I never want to test it to see if its a "good" one or not.
I'm just amazed that they discovered the problem in 2003, and kept making the same airbag with the same issue all the way until as far as 2018 and maybe newer still. The scary thing is the amount of vehicles driving around that hadn't been recalled yet as they hadn't been found to have these issues yet. That's why i made this thread, who knows. maybe our vans will someday be recalled for this too

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
1,434 Posts
It's crazy that it's ammonium nitrate.

Straight Ammonium Nitrate:

Oklahoma city Bombing was ammonium nitrate and ~6% diesel fuel(ANFO).
Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Symmetry

Tannerite is 95% ammonium nitrate and 5% aluminum powder, there's loads of aluminum in a car.

Apparently, ammonium nitrate will liquefy as it absorbs water. It also decomposes into nitrous oxide, ammonia, and nitric acid, which are all either corrosive, volatile, or an oxidizer strong enough to be used as rocket propellant.

But basically, ammonium nitrate is a high explosive, it doesn't burn but instead only detonates. I would think a material that conflagrates like gunpowder, rather than explodes, would be more suitable.

Those airbags are literally explosive. A shaped charge with shrapnel aimed at your face.

Reactions: Michalb

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes, I feel like there is a gun barrel aimed at my head with that thing in front of me. Now I see that some headrests have the same or similar setup. After the crash with the Versa, the first thing I said was "at least the airbags didn't go off". The impact did move the dashcam so suddenly the picture becomes the sky. Lesson to be learned, dashcams need to be rock solid, not that dumb suction mount on the windshield.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently, ammonium nitrate will liquefy as it absorbs water. It also decomposes into nitrous oxide, ammonia, and nitric acid, which are all either corrosive, volatile, or an oxidizer strong enough to be used as rocket propellant.
That's why the airbags (the most dangerous ones) are in areas with the higher humidity levels. Although results are mixed, with some fatal collisions happening in areas that are not super humid.

The reality is, companies will always try to cut production costs as much as they can, and in this case, they decided to use ammonium nitrate which is cheap and readily available unlike whatever they were using before which was not readily available and also more expensive. Assuming the ammonium nitrate is sealed off and protected well preventing it from decomposing, it should be okay. I bet most airbags made today also use ammonium nitrate in them.

Those airbags are literally explosive. A shaped charge with shrapnel aimed at your face.
Yes, I feel like there is a gun barrel aimed at my head with that thing in front of me.
You guys are gonna love this YouTube video then, Chrifix used a football to try and see how far and airbag can launch the football!
How FAR Can an Airbag Launch a Football?!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hi everyone,
We definitely understand your concern surrounding the Takata Airbag recall. To determine whether your vehicle is affected by this or any other recalls, please visit Lookup FCA Vehicle Recalls by VIN | Official Mopar® Site. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send us a PM. We're here to help.

Sarah
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
185 Posts
Funny, it says my recall was taken care of September 3rd, 2014. I bought the van on 11/08/13. I never took it back to the dealer for a recall except for the time the oil cooler broke and dumped oil all over the engine which was 1/7/16. So unless they performed the recall "over the air", I dont understand how this could be marked "completed".

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
1,434 Posts
Funny, it says my recall was taken care of September 3rd, 2014. I bought the van on 11/08/13. I never took it back to the dealer for a recall except for the time the oil cooler broke and dumped oil all over the engine which was 1/7/16. So unless they performed the recall "over the air", I dont understand how this could be marked "completed".
Sarah at Chrysler Cares snuck into your garage and changed it for you. It was like a whole black ops operation; there were helicopters, men in black tactical gear repelling down ropes, and instead of guns they had impact wrenches which they used to swap it with pit-stop crew proficiency. It's too bad you slept through it.

This is what happens when you don't respond to a Chrysler recall letter in the mail...

Forehead Hair Chin Hairstyle Eyebrow

Oh boy, I hope Sarah sees this and enjoys it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Airbags are basically a controlled burn/explosion, that is, designed to burn/explode at a specific rate based on the chemicals in the mix. The explosion was controlled and directed to inflate the fabric airbag within certain time parameters, too slow would not be as effective - too fast may injure the person.

Ammonium nitrate has been used in airbags safely for decades. Takata determined they could do away with the drying agent in the mix and use other measures to prevent moisture from getting to the mixture (cheaper to produce). These other measures were not as effective in humid climates. Without the drying agent the ammonium nitrate would absorb moisture and tend to be a bit more unstable (note all explosives are unstable which is why they go boom). This caused the ammonium nitrate to burn/explode at a faster rate causing a higher pressure in the canister that held the ammonium nitrate than the canister was designed for. The result was the canister shattered.

ok - tmi

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Can you send us your VIN so we can look into this further?
Kaitlin
Chrysler Cares

Reactions: Scot_W
1 - 13 of 13 Posts